Jivya question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 9th April 2012, 23:17

Jivya question

I was curious when the best time to pick Jivya was. I have been wanting to make a troll and go with him just for the hell of it but the wiki says the jellies will kill everything and eat all the items on the floors if I get it too early and I will be gimped. I don't really like switching gods but I heard Oka is good for that since all he does is drop creatures at inopportune moments. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 9th April 2012, 23:31

Re: Jivya question

If you are going for mutations, you could try Nemelex and shoot for Helix cards. I went this route when I was testing Jiyva and spent about 100,000 turns in the Slime Pits and 50,000 in the Temple. Wrath was hardly noticeable (note I was a XL27 Spriggan so nutrition wasn't a problem and I was high level already).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th April 2012, 23:53

Just go Jiyva when you find the altar. You will miss some items but that's not a big deal since in return you get an irresistible one-hit-kill attack that only uses up Jiyva piety (which is the easiest piety in the game to gain). You might be a bit underequipped for Zot:5 but that's it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 02:42

Jiyva also tends to take experience from your character by killing things before you can get to them and possibly not giving you any XP for the kills.

At least, it seemed that way the last 2 times I tried Jiyva.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 02:18

If you're talking about optimal play, the best time to take Jiyva is when a neqoxec squad has its way with you and you end up with berserkitis, teleportitis, slow movement, wild magic, slow healing, and deterioration all at level 3, and also you're a demonspawn so you can't switch to Zin instead.

Jiyva is pretty solid in the endgame in general, of course, not just in that comically extreme example. Once you've already gotten your equipment in order, her main drawback is no longer a concern and you just get selective immunity to bad mutations, free summons when you take damage, REALLY rapid regeneration, and so on.

If you pick her up early on, however, she's a borderline unplayable joke god along the lines of Xom or Chei. It'll be an interesting game with its own style, to be sure, but it sure won't be an easy one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 02:31

Jiyva is actually quite strong all game imo. The game will actually be easier than normal until you have to go to zot since you have an irresistible one-hit-kill attack that only uses piety (which is absurdly easy to gain), and you get Makhleb-like healing. But it doesn't work on orbs of fire or elec golems so you'll need to find some way to handle them before you get to zot.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 02:49

and since "some way to handle them" is often as easy as "rF+ and a potion of resistance, plus willingness to ninja," even that isn't too much of a concern.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 16:41

Blade wrote:and since "some way to handle them" is often as easy as "rF+ and a potion of resistance, plus willingness to ninja," even that isn't too much of a concern.

Except if you've had Jiyva long enough, the first two of those things were probably eaten before you could get them.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 16:45

Oh, right. I forgot that jiyva eats every single item ever (including shops) and it's impossible to pick anything up ever.

...wait. Actually, no. Reduced loot != no loot.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 16:56

Don't the jellies eat gold too?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 18:39

reduced gold != no gold, and the Orcish Mines are a good source

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 19:58

cerebovssquire wrote:reduced gold != no gold, and the Orcish Mines are a good source

They're a GREAT source till you enter them while worshiping Jiyva.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 20:02

XuaXua wrote:
cerebovssquire wrote:reduced gold != no gold, and the Orcish Mines are a good source

They're a GREAT source till you enter them while worshiping Jiyva.

You should go play a Jiyva game sometime.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Blade

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 13th April 2012, 17:34

Did I miss something? How early can you actually manage to pick up Jiyva that you would have her in Orc?
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 13th April 2012, 17:46

Sometimes you can find her altar on D:2. Kind of rare, though.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 13th April 2012, 17:50

IronJelly wrote:Did I miss something? How early can you actually manage to pick up Jiyva that you would have her in Orc?

Find the early altar guarded by three slimes (usually before temple /lair / orc, if it generates at all), or clear the lair and find the altar waiting outside the pits. Either way, Slime God before Orc. Granted, this does take a bit of luck...

Wait, guys, I have a way to guarantee an early Jivva altar. Go AK, trawl the abyss for a slimy altar. Somehow don't die beforehand, or getting out. Enjoy your D:1 slime god and lucky wrath! :lol:

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice