Confusion on mummies

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 25th January 2011, 20:51

Re: Confusion on mummies

Well, in general it's a good rule to run from or avoid anything you don't think you can handle. Many uniques could certainly fit that bill, depending on your situation.

It's just bad luck that she had a wand of confusion though- you can't predict in advance that a unique will have found or been generated with a nasty wand. Usually they won't... but the rng is cruel. You could have drunk a potion of healing to heal the confusion (if you had one), and then used any escape options or panic buttons you had. Still, sometimes there's nothing you can do.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th January 2011, 20:54

He was playing a mummy. They can't drink potions.

I suppose you could have hit Duvessa with a Mephitic Cloud or something before she got you. If you didn't have any status effect available, all you could really do is close to melee and hope you get lucky. She's less likely to zap her wand if she can hit you with her weapon instead, although that's not necessarily an improvement.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 25th January 2011, 21:03

KoboldLord wrote:He was playing a mummy. They can't drink potions.

D'oh. Missed the point, didn't I? Would a wand of healing cure confusion? I've never tested that. Real unlikely you'd have one IDed by the twins usual depth, but any mummy should get one eventually...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 25th January 2011, 21:29

Mummies have terrible MR and no way of dealing with confusion until they find Ashenzari or MR items or clarity, yeah. You were basically just screwed. :P

A lot of people on the wiki page (devs as well as players) seem to agree that they deserve higher MR. I think letting them use restoration while confused (and having it cure confusion) would also be nice.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 25th January 2011, 23:10

I would say that there is nothing you could have done other than completely avoiding the situation. What level were you?

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 25th January 2011, 23:42

If you have a wand of teleportation you could zap yourself with it. Hopefully your mummy won't zap all the charges in random directions. You can also read scrolls and hope to summon butterflies to impede your enemies.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 26th January 2011, 01:58

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:I think letting them use restoration while confused (and having it cure confusion) would also be nice.

Restoration? From who, Elyvilon? Clearly that's not possible...
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 2nd February 2011, 16:12

zapping paralysis probably could have been effective. Randomly moving might have been counterproductive since if youre not in melee range, Duvessa was more likely to use another wand charge on you and extend the effect.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice