Defensive Skills for Casters

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 16:48

Defensive Skills for Casters

How useful is Dodging and Fighting for Cj based casters and does anybody have a good rule of thumb on how much XP one should dump into them as the game progresses?

In my last game (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4013) I had 9 levels of fighting and 14 levels of dodging and was 2-hit by Nikola.

I've since learned how powerful Nikola is, and how I should have run away on round 1.

However, I'm unsure if I overdid fighting/dodging, or didn't have enough.

Thoughts?
Won 2 Games - MiFi (2)

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 16:58

Re: Defensive Skills for Casters

Fighting is never bad, per se, but since it's just HP and a very minor combat skill boost, its debatable whether its worth a big investment for casters.

14 Dodging is alright for your level. EV is good when it works, but its never infalliable.

Nikola is pretty dangerous if you don't have rElec.

Personally, I always wear a buckler as a caster as soon as you find one, 5 Shields is pretty easy to obtain, and the extra defensive layer is often a godsend, especially if you have low AC.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 17:05

"I always wear a buckler as a caster as soon as you find one, 5 Shields is pretty easy to obtain, and the extra defensive layer is often a godsend, especially if you have low AC."

Can you wear a buckler while holding a staff? If you have 5 shields, does it give a casting penalty?
Won 2 Games - MiFi (2)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 17:14

donblas wrote:"I always wear a buckler as a caster as soon as you find one, 5 Shields is pretty easy to obtain, and the extra defensive layer is often a godsend, especially if you have low AC."

Can you wear a buckler while holding a staff? If you have 5 shields, does it give a casting penalty?

An enhancer staff is one handed, so no problems there. As for the casting penalty, see the learndb:

You need 5/15/25 skill to eliminate evasion, melee speed, damage, and casting penalties for bucklers/shields/large shields for normal races, 7/21/- for kobolds and halflings, 9/-/- for spriggans, 3/9/15 for nagas and centaurs, -/9/15 for trolls and ogres.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 17:17

"An enhancer staff is one handed, so no problems there. As for the casting penalty, see the learndb:"

TIL two things (1 handed not 2 and that info about shields). Thanks!
Won 2 Games - MiFi (2)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 17:23

I would say you had the right amount of Fighting and Dodging for your level.

And just to be clear, Nikola one-shot you. All that spam at the end of your morgue was one casting of chain lightning. His first lightning bolt completely missed. No amount of dodging or fighting was going to help in that situation.

It was a painful lesson, but it should have made clear that Nikola goes in the "Run first" category of uniques.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 17:47

"It was a painful lesson, but it should have made clear that Nikola goes in the "Run first" category of uniques."

"Sigmand, Grinder, Nikola" are currently on that list for me. Any other obvious additions I should make?
Won 2 Games - MiFi (2)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 17:53

Mara (misleads, creates duplicates of himself and creates a copy of YOU) and Mennas (fast, heavily armored and creates a silence aura). Maybe Saint Roka (smite, smite, smite). They don't show up until deeper than Nikola.

Depending on how prepared you are, others can be very dangerous as well, like Rupert (can paralyze) or Wiglaf with a ranged weapon.

A good rule of thumb, if you don't know what exactly a unique can do, you should probably run away.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 18:10

A late spawning Sonja can also be on that list; getting hit by 15 Curare needles is a complete death sentance without rPois (and even then, due to it not being 100% resist anymore).

Mara is horrible regardless of how prepared you are since you have to fight a clone of yourself. Mennas is nigh impossible for a caster centric character that can't melee well.

Tiber beat me to replying about shields, but yeah, 5 skill will prevent any penalties in most circumstances. A quarterstaff or Lajatang is two handed, however.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 18:18

tormodpwns wrote:
crate wrote:
sir_laser wrote:Any tips on how to deal w/ Mara-

Run.
"It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky."
- sirlaser the Eclecticist (Human Wanderer), worshipper of Ashenzari

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 19:30

Boris is another name to avoid if you aren't prepared. His Iron Shot can hit for roughly 80 damage. That sudden damage spike has ended enough of my characters that now not only do I approach him very carefully, I also take great joy in slaughtering him when I get the chance, even if it means coming back later for him.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 20:04

Rupert and Agnes. F'n RUN. Throw summons.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 20:05

TwilightPhoenix wrote:Boris is another name to avoid if you aren't prepared. His Iron Shot can hit for roughly 80 damage. That sudden damage spike has ended enough of my characters that now not only do I approach him very carefully, I also take great joy in slaughtering him when I get the chance, even if it means coming back later for him.

And then you keep coming back for him because he keeps coming back. Just leave him be so you don't have to deal with him again.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 8th March 2012, 22:34

XuaXua wrote:
TwilightPhoenix wrote:Boris is another name to avoid if you aren't prepared. His Iron Shot can hit for roughly 80 damage. That sudden damage spike has ended enough of my characters that now not only do I approach him very carefully, I also take great joy in slaughtering him when I get the chance, even if it means coming back later for him.

And then you keep coming back for him because he keeps coming back. Just leave him be so you don't have to deal with him again.

Does he grant XP multiple times if you kill him multiple times?
"It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky."
- sirlaser the Eclecticist (Human Wanderer), worshipper of Ashenzari

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 9th March 2012, 00:56

Erolcha can be as deadly as Nikola, depending on spell set. Aizul, Gastronok, and Nessos may also merit being on the list. Maybe Menkaure for weaker builds.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 9th March 2012, 01:05

Kirke is kind of like Jessica. Often a pushover, but occasionally somehow unbeatable.

Hog Form player vs. ugly thing mob is not a fight you want to get into, but it's not much of a problem if you have high MR or can just take her out before she does much.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 9th March 2012, 04:40

I always save poison needles and a blowgun on just about every character against gastronok. If he air strikes you just run away, heal up and try again until he doesnt airstrike you.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 10th March 2012, 18:28

BlackSheep wrote:Maybe Saint Roka (smite, smite, smite).

I'd much rather have Roka smiting me than beating on me with his melee weapon. Either way, I'd much much rather have him dead or confused, and fast.

As far as Rupert goes: paralysis is no fun, but his incessant 'zerking is the deadly part. Especially if he's paralyzed you first. If I don't know I can take him out, a tele scroll on sight is a good plan.

Always remember: lots of uniques can't see invisible. And summons are a good way to deal with almost all of them.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice