Ranged weapons

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Piu

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 03:31

Ranged weapons

Hi.

I'd like to ask: What the idea behind bows and x-bows?
Well, throwing do not waste turns for switching and have pretty nice damage.
Slings could use stones and don't mind shields.
But what about bows and x-bows? How to get profit of them?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 04:46

Re: Ranged weapons

Crossbows deal LOTS of damage. You can get steel ammo, and penetrating ammo, and there's not much else you could want. Swapping to your launcher or back is a very fast action, much shorter than taking a step. It doesn't go well with shields, but if you're packing an executioner's axe, triple sword, or giant spiked club you don't have a shield anyway.

Bows don't have the awesome selection of ammo to work with, but you can brand them with holy wrath even though you can't normally apply melee brands to launchers. This kills basically everything in the post-endgame very fast.

Anyway, all launchers do lots of damage with ammo and have a very rapid rate of fire with enough skill. They're cheaper skill-wise than ranged magic, and you don't have to waste turns recovering mp after every fight. A large stack of well-enchanted ammo will last a really, really long time, since the mulch rate drops as you enchant the ammo.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Piu

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 04:59

Well, I've killed ~50 HEAM, and bows was always worse than javs or even any melee. And any enemy with armor would consume all arrows. Even when I maxed bow skill it won't gave any noticable damage.
Btw, what s the impact on bows from str\dex? I've heard different opinions.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 05:50

I'm playing a DDAm for the tourney right now and am sort of curious as to how exactly skill affects ranged delay. Is there a break-point, as with melee weapons (for crossbows, say)?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 07:15

KoboldLord wrote:... you can brand [bows] with holy wrath even though you can't normally apply melee brands to launchers.

Is this exclusive to bows?
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 08:02

Bows are very good at high skill level, but they're pretty bad at low skill. Crossbows are good at low skill, never really tried them above 10 skill though.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 13:16

One-Eyed Jack wrote:I'm playing a DDAm for the tourney right now and am sort of curious as to how exactly skill affects ranged delay. Is there a break-point, as with melee weapons (for crossbows, say)?

The break-point exists, but it depends on your strength and dexterity:

Code:
delay = base_delay - 4*weapon_skill*(str_weight*str + dex_weight*dex)/250

str_weight  dex_weight   base_delay  minimum delay
sling              5           5          110             70
bow                7           3          110             60 
longbow            7           3          120             60
crossbow           7           3          150             70

For this message the author CommanderC has received thanks: 3
galehar, One-Eyed Jack, rebthor

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 14:29

Nice. So, in my current game, I should reach min delay at skill level 28.41 :)
(CeAM with a longbow)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 16:50

Wow, people forgot the most obvious advantage of bows vs. X-bows: where they appear. Arrows are plentiful from about 5 or so floors in, where centaurs appear. Bolts aren't massively plentiful until Vault. Likewise, it can be hard to even find a crossbow before then if you didn't pick a class that started with one, much less pick and choose to find a good one.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 18:04

galehar wrote:Nice. So, in my current game, I should reach min delay at skill level 28.41 :)
(CeAM with a longbow)

So? You're a dev, no problem for you ;).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 18:07

Zicher wrote:
galehar wrote:Nice. So, in my current game, I should reach min delay at skill level 28.41 :)
(CeAM with a longbow)

So? You're a dev, no problem for you ;).

It's no fun to play a game which you have changed to be much easier.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 22:49

Tiber wrote:Wow, people forgot the most obvious advantage of bows vs. X-bows: where they appear. Arrows are plentiful from about 5 or so floors in, where centaurs appear. Bolts aren't massively plentiful until Vault. Likewise, it can be hard to even find a crossbow before then if you didn't pick a class that started with one, much less pick and choose to find a good one.

Though this is probably a m00t point, as most of the time, if you're planning on using launchers, you'll choose a class that starts with them. Javelins (esp. Steel Javelins) are so amazing that any other class that needs ranged support should just stick to Throwing.

Generally, XBows are notably superior early on, but Longbows are quite worthwhile if you can train that far up.

Just make sure you figure out which scrolls are Enchant Weapon ASAP, and wield your ammo and Enchant it. If you can do this before D3, you're usually gonna be okay with the ammo situation, but cultivate alternate weaponskills anyway.

Also, Ranged weapon combat meshes reasonably well with Fedhas; covering yourself with plants and firing through them is very viable. Although that does give you two sets of disposable resources to look after (fruit, and ammo!) so its not for those that despise a bit of micromanagement.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

For this message the author eharper256 has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st March 2012, 23:46

eharper256 wrote:Though this is probably a m00t point, as most of the time, if you're planning on using launchers, you'll choose a class that starts with them. Javelins (esp. Steel Javelins) are so amazing that any other class that needs ranged support should just stick to Throwing.

You can pick up a generic bow from an early centaur, of which there will be dozens, and you can find crossbows on kobolds and slings on goblins. You won't necessarily find a stack of javelins all the way until D27 unless you happen to draw Shoals. Sometimes you get a few good stacks to work with, but sometimes you get nothing.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 2nd March 2012, 01:14

Huh... I rarely see good bows drop off centaurs, but I seem to nearly always find Javelin stacks by D7, even with casters who can't possibly take the weight to carry them. -_-' Guess its down to the luck of the draw.

The main draw for Javelins (for me) is that they naturally don't mulch often at all, leaving your Enchant Scrolls to be used on your weapons.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 2nd March 2012, 12:51

Probably just for the record, but noone ao far mentioned large rocks. Although usable by Ogres and Trolls only, they are truly a high power weapon, IMHO superior even to crossbows.
Oka or Trog will gift them on a regular basis, their mulching rate is lowest of all missiles (1/25 IIRC), and generally they make Ogre or Troll Hunters a fairly viable combo.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice