Lucky items

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 16th December 2012, 00:47

Lucky items

So I found this armor on floor 2 of the lair, which was on floor 8 of the dungeon(It was the first branch I entered).

Both my brother and I were laughing our asses off, yelling "It's got Resist Hubris!". Has anyone else had lucky early insanely powerful items like this?

Also, what should I be trying to do, now that I've got this ridiculous awesomeness?
Attachments
skills.png
skills.png (66.75 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
Resist Hubris.png
Resist Hubris.png (54.66 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
lolwut.png
lolwut.png (417.92 KiB) Viewed 2050 times

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 16th December 2012, 00:53

Re: Lucky items

I also just found a +2 artifact cloak with DAM+6 on Lair3.

Gods, this is ridiculous.

edit: Just found a +4+8 spiked flail randart with Pain and rC+ on Lair6

My brain is exploding out of my head.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 16th December 2012, 01:07

Clearly you now play extra carefully around things that your AC and SH won't help against. Hope Okawaru gets you an eveningstar or demon whip in good time, possibly while being ready to wield a great mace while you wait. Possibly. I do hope you have a bigger 1h mace weapon than what you're currently using to twink out AC.

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
Pakars

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 16th December 2012, 01:21

Yeah, I'm trying to be super careful around mages/smiting priests etc. now. This is going to be awkward, since I've never gone past Dungeon:12 or so on any character...

Quick question, is Donald's Shield of Reflection better than a Large Shield with rPois?

I'm gonna stop posting, and hope to hear about ridiculous early items from other people now. :)

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 16th December 2012, 02:20

If you're sticking to one-handed weapons and continue investing in Shields skill, then the large shield is better.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 16th December 2012, 03:20

I'd say the Shield of Reflection is better since you can get Poison Resistance elsewhere when you need it - and you don't need to invest past 15 Shield Skill which means you can spend that experience elsewhere like Translocations or Charms; you might want to invest a little in Intelligence btw.

Keep the Large Shield though, if you do train up to Shields 25 for it then it will certainly be worth using.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th December 2012, 03:33

Reflection as a shield brand is not especially useful. Most of the shield blocks you get during the course of the game are from melee opponents, and reflection only applies to ranged projectiles. Furthermore, there are a large assortment of restrictions even on the subset of enemy attacks that could potentially be reflected that it often ends up not having a chance to trigger on attacks that it could potentially work against. And even if you do bounce back a projectile, the sad fact remains that the sort of projectile you're most likely to block is going to be from the weaker sort of enemy you weren't going to have any trouble handling in the first place.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice