Question about missiles

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 17th January 2012, 04:21

Question about missiles

Hello all, fairly new player here with a question about throwing things.

Melee weapons have two bonuses, for accuracy and damage. Ammunition has a single bonus, which I'm guessing is either both accuracy and damage or just damage.

But when I throw, say, a hand axe at something, are both its bonuses taken into account? In other words, is it worth using both EWI and EWII on a hand axe of returning rather than a stack of darts or something?

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 17th January 2012, 13:06

Re: Question about missiles

Not sure on how enchantments affect thrown melee weapons like axes, spears, and daggers, but the only throwing weapons potentially worth burning scrolls on are javelins and needles. Definitely don't enchant either your hand axe or darts, as they will slide into irrelevancy due to their minimal damage rather soon.

For this message the author JeffQyzt has received thanks:
ASTROPRO

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 17th January 2012, 14:57

JeffQyzt wrote:Not sure on how enchantments affect thrown melee weapons like axes, spears, and daggers, but the only throwing weapons potentially worth burning scrolls on are javelins and needles. Definitely don't enchant either your hand axe or darts, as they will slide into irrelevancy due to their minimal damage rather soon.

Large rocks, steel bullets, arrows and bolts of piercing would all like to have a word with you.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 17th January 2012, 16:37

Steel bullets, arrows, and bolts of piercing are not throwing weapons.

Large rocks...maybe.

For this message the author JeffQyzt has received thanks:
rebthor

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2012, 15:04

JeffQyzt wrote:Steel bullets, arrows, and bolts of piercing are not throwing weapons.

Large rocks...maybe.

Reading comprehension on my part! The fact that you mentioned needles threw me because even though they use the throwing skill, they require a launcher.

In my defense, the OP was asking about missiles in general. I agree that javelins are a great choice for enchanting, large rocks are also a good choice. I wouldn't waste the scrolls on needles unless they were curare or paralyze and I was playing a needle stabber.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2012, 15:18

I've been playing a lot of Kobolds and Spriggans, for which javelins aren't an option. I'd been more or less ignoring needles, though, so thanks for the advice! (Still idly curious about the thrown melee weapon question.)

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2012, 16:14

Kobolds are great at slings and slings are great weapons, easily capable of taking you to end game. Throwing (the skill) is really only good for 3 things long term javelins, large rocks and needles (which uses the throwing skill). Darts, hand axes, clubs etc just don't have the damage output needed after the first half-dozen dungeon levels. Therefore, it's not worth it to level on a character which isn't going to either needle-stab (incapacitate an enemy with needles and then stab them) or throw javelins or large rocks. In the latter case, it's still really not worth it to take it past 8-12 unless it's you main source of damage IMO.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2012, 21:29

Steel Darts are an okayish throwing weapon that long outlasts other darts. I wouldn't burn scrolls on them, but they were still handy in Lair (that character died before I could try them elsewhere). Darts of Dispersal are also quite handy.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice