Pure monk build?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2012, 20:16

Pure monk build?

I am curious if anyone has completed high-rune games using almost nothing but their fists? Is it possible to build and play a character so skillfully that when they've Won the character knows no spells, has <5 points in invoc/evoc? Basically a pure melee (or melee/ranged weapon) monster who crushes everything in their path?! Trog worshippers excluded btw.

If you've done it how was it? Or what are some challenges you anticipate for a 3 rune game vs 15 rune game??

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2012, 23:27

Re: Pure monk build?

hmm yeah
I mean more of playing a character as a true man of the earth, with no access to magic and little interest in direct use of god powers or magic devices :D

salt of the earth kind of guy, melee or ranged or combined

dk

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th January 2012, 23:43

While you can win the game without spells (e.g. Berserker/Trog), it is not possible to win without using scrolls/wands/god abilities (at least I don't think you can).

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 19th January 2012, 00:44

Good luck surviving errors without blink or teleportation. If you allow some low-end religious powers, starting with Lugonu seems useful for the random blink and easy third rune (as Vault 8 will suck on any such build). Probably would also have to be a spriggan or centaur for the speed.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 19th January 2012, 00:50

dk wrote:While you can win the game without spells (e.g. Berserker/Trog), it is not possible to win without using scrolls/wands/god abilities (at least I don't think you can).

Ring of teleport, ring of teleport control, potions of speed, amulet of rage. Yeah you could :P I actually kinda wonder what the bare minimum to beat crawl would be. Not that I'd ever try it.

dk

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 19th January 2012, 01:13

greepish wrote:
dk wrote:While you can win the game without spells (e.g. Berserker/Trog), it is not possible to win without using scrolls/wands/god abilities (at least I don't think you can).

Ring of teleport, ring of teleport control, potions of speed, amulet of rage. Yeah you could :P I actually kinda wonder what the bare minimum to beat crawl would be. Not that I'd ever try it.

Of course you can have awesome luck and find a randart +12 Gold Dragon Armour {rF+++ rC+++ rN++ +blink +tele} just outside your entry vault :-)

BTW, wouldn't the use of a ring that let you beam around count as some kind of magic?

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 19th January 2012, 18:15

No scrolls of identify or remove curse could very, very quickly become a drag. No god abilities/spells would just be a pure fighting DG (no spells). Taking away evokables and you've got a different game entirely. Like a "tab only" game. Even if it's possible, I'm not sure it would be very fun other than the bragging rights. Tactics would come down to "kill" or "run away". The complicated tactics that the scrolls/wands/evokables/spells/god abilites bring to the game are what I find the most fun. Kill or die just seems lame.
10 Wins: NaGl* (15) MuCj (15) DsFE* (4) DsWn*+ (5,8) HaBe (3) DECj (15) SpAK (5) GrBe+ (4) HoCK+ (15)
* on CAO; + on CZO

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th January 2012, 21:37

dk wrote:
greepish wrote:

Of course you can have awesome luck and find a randart +12 Gold Dragon Armour {rF+++ rC+++ rN++ +blink +tele} just outside your entry vault :-)

BTW, wouldn't the use of a ring that let you beam around count as some kind of magic?

I prefer the randart +12 Gold Dragon Armour {rF+++ rC+++ rN+++ rPois +blink +tele} model, myself.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 20th January 2012, 04:45

Ok, ok

I am not very experienced past midgame in crawl and I'm just gonna let my noob all hang out with a couple questions. which of these these rules would be considered a challenge build?

1. OgXX, 0 Spellcasting, No Berserk (on purpose), no other restrictions

2. xxMO, 0 Spellcasting, <5 skill pt evoc, <5 skill pt invoc, Dagger/Fist only usable weapons in melee, no other restrictions

(like do most people end a 3 runer with big investments in evoc, or invoc? 7+ runer?)

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 20th January 2012, 13:00

The Ogre, no spellcasting build would be a challenge build (any Ogre build is somewhat challenging), but Trog would be the logical choice (even if you forego berserk - the other Trog benefits are actually better past a certain point.)

Your 2nd challenge build isn't one, as long as you go Trog (at least for 3 rune games.) Consider a Troll Monk of Trog, or a Kobold Monk of Trog with an early dagger switch. Artificially limiting evocations will hurt a little, but not overly so for a 3 rune game.

Excluding Trog for either would make both of those much more challenging. However, if you're looking for a challenge, it probably matters more what you personally find challenging, rather than what the crowd consensus thinks.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 20th January 2012, 23:28

Yeah, its a little bit of a shame you can't just Bruce Lee through the entire game on purely the strength of your unarmed prowess.

Don't think its possible; well at least not without adding in some cool weapon/unarmed skills (something I've always wanted to see; to evolve melee from the speed happy spang-fest it is today; even if its just the simplistic kind of extra skills seen in Dungeons of Dredmore).
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd January 2012, 16:05

1. OgXX, 0 Spellcasting, No Berserk (on purpose), no other restrictions

2. xxMO, 0 Spellcasting, <5 skill pt evoc, <5 skill pt invoc, Dagger/Fist only usable weapons in melee, no other restrictions

(like do most people end a 3 runer with big investments in evoc, or invoc? 7+ runer?)

1. Hard but not a "challenge build" (up against real challenge builds like MuCK of Xom or OgBe of Cheibriados or whatever)
2. Your average heavy armour TrMo of Okawaru... a very very easy build. That isn't a challenge in the least. And I'd do it with no problem with Mi, old MD, Ce and quite a few others, and I would give a build like this to a new player any day and tell him that it's suitable for a first win.

Yeah, its a little bit of a shame you can't just Bruce Lee through the entire game on purely the strength of your unarmed prowess.

hint: you can, and it's easier than just Aragorning your way through the game with a sword

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 23rd January 2012, 22:12

cerebovssquire wrote:

hint: you can, and it's easier than just Aragorning your way through the game with a sword

"Purely" is the operative word here. I know UC becomes very decent in higher levels, and I've used a few mostly unarmed builds quite successfully, but they've always had some support [like Ice Form or Blade Hands or Ranged support].

By purely, I'm meaning no wands, no spells/formshifts, no races with unarmed bonuses, no help from gods, no armours or shields or throwing or ranged combat at all. Avoiding mutations. Not avoiding fights. Just you and your fistcuffs and the queensbury rules... a proper D&D monk, if you like. :D

It's probably still possible with enough insane determination, mind. And I've still yet to clear the game, so I might just not be hardcore enough :mrgreen:
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd January 2012, 22:29

This allows potions and scrolls and robes and jewellery, right? Gloves, cloaks, boots, caps? If it does I'll show you that it's possible without insane determination. :P /self-overestimation
(I've only played A D&D so I know very little about D&D monks, with the exception of some weird rules for unarmed combat there)

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 23rd January 2012, 22:55

cerebovssquire wrote:This allows potions and scrolls and robes and jewellery, right? Gloves, cloaks, boots, caps? If it does I'll show you that it's possible without insane determination. :P /self-overestimation

Mmhmm, unless you're going with an old 3.5 D&D Exalted Deeds naked monk build; those would be the usual sorts of equips.

I have tried this myself, actually, but never got past D9 in ten attempts and have gone onto other things. But if you'd like a fun challenge build; this ones not bad. I do enjoy this myself (that is, coming up with backstories and restrictions for my Crawl characters and sticking to them despite what the dungeon gives me). Usually it ends badly, though. :D

cerebovssquire wrote:(I've only played A D&D so I know very little about D&D monks, with the exception of some weird rules for unarmed combat there)

In the puzzling world of 4th ED, they now get to hit a different target for low damage after clobbering the first one. Auto-cleave, if you like. And can combine actions into weird move/action combo moves. Actually, I like them better now than the 3.5 ones.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd January 2012, 22:59

I vaguely remember that in A D&D you rolled to determine where the strike hit the opponent, and that each location on the opponent's body had a specific knock-out chance that you rolled for again? It was pretty weird though; my main problem with the A D&D system in general was that non-magical combat was often restricted to "I attack monster X" and the rest was dice-throwing. Problem was partly with my DMs too; when I DMed myself I tried to make it a bit more complex but the system doesn't really allow for much of that, beyond mere flavour.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 23rd January 2012, 23:15

cerebovssquire wrote:I vaguely remember that in A D&D you rolled to determine where the strike hit the opponent, and that each location on the opponent's body had a specific knock-out chance that you rolled for again? It was pretty weird though; my main problem with the A D&D system in general was that non-magical combat was often restricted to "I attack monster X" and the rest was dice-throwing. Problem was partly with my DMs too; when I DMed myself I tried to make it a bit more complex but the system doesn't really allow for much of that, beyond mere flavour.
Anyway, my first "pure monk" (DgMo by the way) is on D:9 where I'll leave him for the night. :)

Good job; I always somehow managed to find a Centaur tag-team that had pincushioned me by now. Or a Skeleton wielding a +9/+9 Scythe of Electrocution it randomly found. Or Sigmund. :o

Actually, they did make melee much more interesting to play in 4th. It's really quite tactical now compared to 3rd and AD&D. Of course, its not without its flaw, the main tradeoff is that a battle-mat is basically essential these days; and that in the later game classes start to feel a bit 'same-ish'.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd January 2012, 23:50

I died on D:9 because of the "just a couple more rooms before I go to bed" mentality.
Deciced to roll up #2 to get to D:9 again.
Guess what I found on D:7.

Code:
_v - the +2 leather armour of the Iron City of Dis {+Inv +Lev Dam+5} 

god I f*ing hate you crawl :P
(going well consumable-wise though, and I'm training Dodging earlier on, this one has chances)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 24th January 2012, 04:42

I don't get what the challenge is supposed to be. Is this about how people think melee is really hard when it's not?
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th January 2012, 05:51

It's to prove people that it's not, from my point of view, and also just a challenge for a challenge's sake. All it is is "spellless and wand/rodless DgMo in a robe with no shield" and that isn't very hard. Of course there are some added difficulties like no curare, no javelins to finish off fleeing monsters, no distortion weapons etc. but I don't think these are particularily severe.

Clearing Lair. So far, so good.

Code:
 ∞ _ book mimic

This makes me happy for the first time in my life. :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th January 2012, 20:29

D:17, alive and kicking, Lair and Orc cleared!

This wasn't a challenge at all so far... and look what just happened 10 turns ago... it's going to be genuinely easy now. Lack of shields isn't too noticable (a buckler doesn't do that much, I don't miss wands execpt for when creatures flee and an Azrael encounter, no curare is a bit annoying, and there's a distortion weapon lying around D:13, but nothing challenging. DgMo is a very good character in my experience (I won one previously, with Charms/Transmutations/Necromancy and rods though, but this still is a pretty strong one).

45202 | D:17 | Found Vahel's Antique Armour Shop.
45297 | D:17 | Bought a pair of thick gauntlets for 254 gold pieces
45297 | D:17 | Bought a glowing cloak for 41 gold pieces
45304 | D:17 | Identified the +3 pair of gauntlets of War (You bought it in a shop on level 17 of the Dungeon)

Still softly weeping over my +5 dam leather wasted though.

You neither need to be hardcore or insanely determined. Some casual play in the evening is enough. Maybe you're picking the wrong race? :)
Dg seems greatly preferable to SE in this particular case, however good SEMo may be as a normal monk with no special unarmed muts.

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.10-b1-18-g4e766d1 character file.

Elynae the Black Belt (Demigod Monk)               Turns: 45324, Time: 01:20:59

HP 114/115       AC 15     Str 15      XL: 14   Next: 63%
MP  18/18        EV 28     Int 18      God:
Gold 1975        SH  0     Dex 24      Spells:  0 memorised, 13 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : .      - Unarmed
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : . .  J - +2 orc robe
Life Prot.: + . .   Conserve   : .    (no shield)
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    l - +2 wizard hat
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    G - +1 cloak {MR}
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    t - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Acc+5 Dam+5}
Sust.Abil.: + .     Stasis     : +    (no boots)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    H - amulet of stasis
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    N - ring of Saed {SustAb rPois rN+}
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    p - +3 ring of protection

@: quite resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: -10% mp, teleportitis 1
a: no special abilities

You are on level 17 of the Dungeon.
You are full.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 29 of its levels.
You have visited 1 bazaar.
You have visited 1 portal chamber: ossuary.

You have collected 3072 gold pieces.
You have spent 1097 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Armour
 l - a +2 wizard hat (worn)
 t - the +3 pair of gauntlets of War (worn) {Acc+5 Dam+5}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 17 of the Dungeon)   

It affects your accuracy (+5).
   It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+5).
 G - a +1 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
 J - a +2 orcish robe (worn)
Comestibles
 b - 10 bread rations
 c - 2 meat rations
 d - a choko
 k - 8 pears
 B - a rotting chunk of orc flesh
 C - 4 rotting chunks of centaur flesh
 E - a royal jelly
 F - 5 chunks of yak flesh
 O - 2 cheeses
Scrolls
 e - 5 scrolls of blinking
 g - a scroll of amnesia
 h - 5 scrolls of fear
 i - 4 scrolls of teleportation
 m - 2 scrolls labeled IPHUSI SKEBIR {tried on cursed +0 helmet, recharge, useless}
 o - 5 scrolls of remove curse
 r - 2 scrolls of detect curse
 y - 2 scrolls of identify
 K - a scroll of silence
Jewellery
 a - a cursed ring of teleportation
 p - a +3 ring of protection (left hand)
 s - an uncursed ring of see invisible
 u - an uncursed ring of life protection
 w - an uncursed amulet of clarity
 x - an uncursed amulet of warding
 z - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
 D - the amulet of Khanum {rMut +Lev}
   (You bought it in a shop in a bazaar)   

[amulet of resist mutation]

It lets you levitate.
 H - an amulet of stasis (around neck)
 N - the ring of Saed (right hand) {SustAb rPois rN+}

[ring of sustain abilities]

It protects you from poison.
   It protects you from negative energy.
Potions
 j - a potion of heal wounds
 n - a potion of speed
 q - 6 potions of curing
 v - a potion of restore abilities
 A - a potion of invisibility
 I - a potion of levitation

Skills:
 - Level 10.0 Fighting
 + Level 14.5 Dodging
 - Level 1.7 Stealth
 * Level 19.8 Unarmed Combat

You have 13 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (17/27)            Temple (0/1) D:6             Orc (4/4) D:10
    Elf (0/5) Orc:3          Lair (8/8) D:13         Shoals (0/5) Lair:6
  Slime (0/6) Lair:7        Snake (0/5) Lair:6        Vault (0/8) D:16

Shops:
D:17: [[  Orc:4: *([((

Annotations
D:9 exclusion: 2 electric eels
D:12 exclusion: hydra
D:14 Azrael, Nikola
Lair:2 Rupert
Lair:8 exclusion: hydra

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity.

Message History

Wear which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You start removing your armour.
You continue taking off your +0 pair of gauntlets.
You finish taking off your +0 pair of gauntlets.
You start putting on your armour.
You continue putting on your pair of thick gauntlets.
You finish putting on the +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Acc+5 Dam+5}.
Okay, then.
You drop a +2 cloak of darkness.
You drop a +0 pair of gauntlets.
The smell of rotting flesh makes you sick. (slot B)
Key pressed, stopping explore.
You now have 1975 gold pieces.
Found a potion of poison.
Save game and exit?
Lua error: Can't find "lua/pickup.lua"
Welcome back, Elynae the Demigod Monk.
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.

∙
         ∙∙!
         ∙∙∙∙
         ∙∙∙∙∙
        ∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▒▒▒▒▒
        ∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙E∙∙▒
        ∙▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒∙▒
          ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒∙▒
          ▒∙∙∙∙<∙∙∙▒
       ▒  ▒∙▒▒▒∙▒▒∙▒
       ▒∙▒▒∙▒∙∙∙∙▒∙▒
▒▒▒    ▒∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▒
∙∙▒    ▒▒▒▒∙∩∙∙∙∙∙∙▒
∙∙▒     ▒▒▒∙▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  Gastronok (Orc:1)
  An orc warlord (D:15)
  The ghost of Wark the Destroyer, a powerful FeVM of Vehumet (D:16)
  Erica (Orc:3)
  Josephine (D:10)
  9 hydras
  An orc high priest (Orc:4)
  The ghost of newuser the Cloud Mage, an experienced HEAE of Okawaru (D:11)
  Nergalle (D:14)
  2 centaur warriors
  Erolcha (D:13)
  A skeletal warrior (D:17)
  A swamp dragon (shapeshifter) (D:15)
  Pikel (D:8)
  8 orc sorcerers
  2 orc knights
  Joseph (D:7)
  5 hill giants
  A griffon (D:15)
  3 wolf spiders
  6 feature mimics
  4 black mambas
  An eye of devastation (Lair:7)
  A cyclops (D:15)
  An elf (shapeshifter) (D:14)
  14 elephants
  An elephant slug (Lair:5)
  2 hill giant zombies
  A slime creature (D:11)
  8 spiny frogs
  A hellwing (Orc:4)
  Psyche (D:11)
  2 trapdoor spiders
  A troll (D:16)
  12 ugly things
  7 komodo dragons
  Sonja (D:13)
  A polar bear (Lair:7)
  An iron devil (Orc:4)
  6 spriggans (Lair:8)
  A queen bee (Lair:3)
  18 blink frogs
  2 giant fireflies (Lair:8)
  5 grizzly bears (Lair:8)
  2 fire elementals
  2 basilisks
  4 bumblebees (Lair:5)
  A wyvern (D:15)
  A chaos spawn (Orc:4)
  2 sharks (Lair:6)
  A wraith (D:16)
  An item mimic (Lair:3)
  2 hippogriffs
  22 yaks
  4 fire drakes
  A deep elf fighter (D:16)
  3 manticores
  12 vampire mosquitoes
  2 rock worms (D:15)
  5 war dogs (Lair:8)
  A necrophage (D:16)
  2 hell hounds
  A red devil (Orc:4)
  3 slaves
  2 giant goldfish (Lair:4)
  8 black bears (Lair:8)
  A phantom (D:13)
  3 ice beasts
  A hippogriff zombie (D:12)
  3 ogres
  27 orc warriors
  2 boring beetles
  8 big kobolds
  22 wargs
  9 centaurs
  6 crocodiles
  3 giant slugs
  A giant frog zombie (D:10)
  12 water moccasins
  20 wolves (Lair:8)
  A gnoll sergeant (D:9)
  8 agate snails
  14 giant frogs
  Blork the orc (D:7)
  A basilisk zombie (D:12)
  An eye of draining (D:12)
  2 warg zombies (Orc:4)
  3 wights (D:11)
  43 killer bees
  A big kobold zombie (D:10)
  A shadow (D:11)
  5 jellyfish (Lair:4)
  A quasit (D:10)
  A brain worm zombie (D:11)
  9 crimson imps
  A crocodile skeleton (D:10)
  An ogre skeleton (Orc:3)
  2 big kobold skeletons
  12 hounds
  7 iguanas
  A big fish (D:13)
  4 gnoll shamans
  21 orc priests
  3 goliath beetles
  39 orc wizards
  A worker ant zombie (D:10)
  9 porcupines
  3 scorpions
  10 worker ants
  21 sheep
  2 worm zombies (D:4)
  6 boggarts
  2 jellies
  11 mummies
  8 gnolls
  2 giant centipedes
  A giant centipede zombie (D:12)
  A giant mite (D:4)
  21 adders
  49 green rats
  An iguana skeleton (D:10)
  5 worms
  2 giant eyeballs
  3 gnoll zombies (Port)
  9 giant geckos
  An ooze (D:2)
  184 orcs
  A ball python (D:4)
  20 bats
  6 giant cockroaches
  14 hobgoblins
  32 jackals
  44 kobolds
  9 giant newts
  A giant spore (D:10)
  11 goblins
  A goblin zombie (D:4)
  2 hobgoblin zombies
  A jackal skeleton (D:4)
  A jackal zombie (D:4)
  A kobold zombie (Port)
  14 orc zombies
  8 quokkas
  16 rats
  A ballistomycete (D:10)
  A fungus (Lair:3)
  2 plants
  16 toadstools
1078 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  A jellyfish (D:13)
1 creature vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  A komodo dragon (Lair:6)
  A small abomination (D:13)
  A slave (D:9)
  2 giant frogs
  An orc priest (D:13)
  A hound (Lair:6)
  A porcupine (Lair:7)
  A boggart (D:14)
  5 green rats (Lair:4)
  2 orc wizards (Orc:4)
  A giant centipede (Lair:5)
  8 orcs
  A hobgoblin (D:16)
  A giant newt (D:1)
  A kobold (D:15)
  2 rats
  7 fungi
  86 toadstools
123 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 1202 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Elynae, the Demigod Monk, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 17/17 MP: 2/2
   514 | D:1      | Reached skill level 4 in Unarmed Combat
   565 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 21/24 MP: 3/3
   967 | D:2      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  1048 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 24/29 MP: 5/5
  1509 | D:2      | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
  1570 | D:2      | Reached skill level 5 in Unarmed Combat
  1620 | D:2      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  2079 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 21/37 MP: 7/7
  3003 | D:4      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  3145 | D:4      | Reached skill level 6 in Unarmed Combat
  3145 | D:4      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 28/42 MP: 8/8
  3603 | D:4      | Found a sand-covered staircase.
  3805 | ossuary  | Entered a tomb
  3869 | ossuary  | Reached XP level 6. HP: 18/49 MP: 10/10
  4267 | ossuary  | Reached skill level 7 in Unarmed Combat
  5510 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  5966 | D:5      | Found a burning altar of Makhleb.
  6081 | D:5      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  6374 | D:5      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 51/56 MP: 12/12
  6408 | D:5      | Reached skill level 8 in Unarmed Combat
  6757 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  7030 | D:7      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
  7062 | D:7      | Got a smoking war axe
  7063 | D:7      | Identified the +4,+2 war axe of Night (You found it on level 7 of the Dungeon)
  7165 | D:7      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  7190 | D:7      | Got a transparent leather armour
  7191 | D:7      | Identified the +2 leather armour of the Iron City of Dis (You found it on level 7 of the Dungeon)
  7530 | D:7      | Noticed Joseph
  7602 | D:7      | HP: 1/56 [water moccasin (5)]
  7986 | D:6      | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
  8682 | D:7      | Killed Joseph
  8682 | D:7      | Reached skill level 9 in Unarmed Combat
  8682 | D:7      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 28/62 MP: 13/13
  8789 | D:7      | Noticed Blork the orc
  8930 | D:7      | Killed Blork the orc
 10037 | D:8      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 10154 | D:8      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
 10651 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Unarmed Combat
 10716 | D:9      | Noticed Pikel
 11181 | D:8      | Killed Pikel
 11181 | D:8      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 54/68 MP: 15/15
 12138 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 12770 | D:9      | Your ally freed slave died
 13378 | D:10     | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 13401 | D:10     | Noticed a crocodile skeleton
 13404 | D:10     | Noticed Josephine
 13458 | D:10     | Killed Josephine
 13458 | D:10     | Reached XP level 10. HP: 61/75 MP: 17/17
 13477 | D:10     | Killed a crocodile skeleton
 14043 | D:11     | Noticed newuser's ghost (experienced HEAE)
 14077 | D:11     | Killed newuser's ghost
 14077 | D:11     | Reached skill level 11 in Unarmed Combat
 14672 | D:11     | Reached skill level 12 in Unarmed Combat
 15094 | D:11     | Reached skill level 10 in Dodging
 15617 | D:11     | Noticed Psyche
 15625 | D:11     | jeanjacques: nice sp(wn)en splat
 15625 | D:11     | yeah i thought i was immortal for some reason or something
 15634 | D:11     | Killed Psyche
 15716 | D:11     | stubborn one, here
 15900 | D:11     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 46/81 MP: 18/18
 16144 | D:13     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 16640 | D:12     | Reached skill level 13 in Unarmed Combat
 18773 | D:13     | Noticed Sonja
 19072 | D:12     | Reached skill level 14 in Unarmed Combat
 19320 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 21311 | Lair:2   | Noticed Rupert
 21318 | Lair:2   | Paralysed by Rupert for 2 turns
 21893 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
 23045 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 15 in Unarmed Combat
 23069 | Lair:3   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 84/92 MP: 19/19
 26157 | Lair:5   | Noticed a bumblebee
 26160 | Lair:5   | Noticed a bumblebee
 26161 | Lair:5   | Noticed a bumblebee
 26187 | Lair:5   | Killed a bumblebee
 26200 | Lair:5   | Killed a bumblebee
 26210 | Lair:5   | Killed a bumblebee
 26411 | Lair:5   | Killed a bumblebee
 27012 | Lair:5   | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
 27914 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Snake Pit.
 28611 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Shoals.
 30714 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 30719 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 16 in Unarmed Combat
 31195 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: You have a fast metabolism.
 31199 | Lair:8   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 75/107 MP: 20/20
 31203 | Lair:8   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 69/101 MP: 19/19
 31220 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: Your muscles are strong, but stiff (Str +1, Dex -1).
 31240 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
 31260 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: You are weak (Str -1).
 31342 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity.
 31515 | Lair:8   | Lost mutation: Your muscles are strong, but stiff (Str +1, Dex -1).
 31515 | Lair:8   | Lost mutation: You have a fast metabolism.
 31515 | Lair:8   | Lost mutation: You are weak (Str -1).
 31516 | Lair:8   | argh
 31905 | Lair:8   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 104/107 MP: 18/18
 31962 | Lair:8   | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
 33107 | Lair:7   | Reached skill level 17 in Unarmed Combat
 33961 | Lair:7   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 35280 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 35401 | Orc:2    | wow that was a dumb move
 35559 | Orc:2    | Noticed Gastronok
 35576 | Orc:1    | Killed Gastronok
 35576 | Orc:1    | Reached skill level 18 in Unarmed Combat
 35859 | Orc:2    | Found a flickering gateway to a bazaar.
 35887 | bazaar   | Entered a bazaar
 35891 | bazaar   | Found Xaviv's Jewellery Boutique.
 35909 | bazaar   | Found Ytuzuin's Antique Weapon Emporium.
 35926 | bazaar   | Found Funop's Book Boutique.
 35943 | bazaar   | Found Twog's Weapon Shoppe.
 35966 | bazaar   | Bought an uncursed ring of see invisible for 105 gold pieces
 35966 | bazaar   | Bought the amulet of Khanum {rMut +Lev} for 343 gold pieces
 35967 | bazaar   | Bought the ring of Saed {SustAb rPois rN+} for 294 gold pieces
 36342 | Orc:3    | Noticed Erica
 36359 | Orc:3    | Killed Erica
 36573 | Orc:4    | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
 37288 | Orc:4    | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
 37525 | Orc:4    | Found Byboob's Antique Weapon Emporium.
 37525 | Orc:4    | Found Dogini Choa's Antique Weapon Shop.
 37668 | Orc:4    | Found Crixt's General Store.
 37668 | Orc:4    | Found Uvemaerr's Weapon Shop.
 37699 | Orc:4    | Bought a potion of curing for 34 gold pieces
 37836 | Orc:4    | Reached XP level 14. HP: 107/115 MP: 18/18
 38200 | Orc:4    | Found Zacvoish's Antique Armour Shoppe.
 38243 | Orc:4    | Bought a runed robe for 26 gold pieces
 38546 | Orc:3    | Reached XP level 13. HP: 87/107 MP: 17/18
 38728 | Orc:3    | Noticed an orc high priest
 39206 | Orc:4    | Killed an orc high priest
 39449 | Orc:3    | Found a staircase to the Elven Halls.
 39671 | D:13     | Noticed Erolcha
 39683 | D:13     | Killed Erolcha
 39692 | D:13     | Killed Sonja
 40187 | D:12     | Reached XP level 14. HP: 115/115 MP: 18/18
 40419 | D:13     | Found Mugag's Magical Wand Shop.
 40425 | D:13     | Mugag's Magical Wand Shop was a mimic.
 40663 | D:14     | Entered Level 14 of the Dungeon
 40671 | D:14     | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
 40677 | D:14     | Noticed Nergalle
 40691 | D:14     | Killed Nergalle
 40727 | D:14     | Reached skill level 19 in Unarmed Combat
 41023 | D:14     | Noticed a fire elemental
 41024 | D:14     | Noticed a fire elemental
 41027 | D:14     | Noticed Azrael
 41046 | D:14     | Noticed a fire elemental
 41051 | D:14     | Noticed a fire elemental
 41053 | D:14     | Noticed Nikola
 41057 | D:15     | Entered Level 15 of the Dungeon
 41060 | D:15     | Killed a fire elemental
 41952 | D:14     | Killed a fire elemental
 42153 | D:15     | Noticed an orc warlord
 42194 | D:15     | Killed an orc warlord
 43154 | D:16     | Noticed Wark's ghost (powerful FeVM)
 43170 | D:16     | Killed Wark's ghost
 43253 | D:16     | Found a staircase to the Vaults.
 44774 | D:17     | Found Nulewoe's Armour Shoppe.
 45202 | D:17     | Found Vahel's Antique Armour Shop.
 45297 | D:17     | Bought a pair of thick gauntlets for 254 gold pieces
 45297 | D:17     | Bought a glowing cloak for 41 gold pieces
 45304 | D:17     | Identified the +3 pair of gauntlets of War (You bought it in a shop on level 17 of the Dungeon)

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 24th January 2012, 21:52

Oh, Gauntlets of War/ +DMG adds to unarmed damage as well? That's good to know.

Guess I'm going to have to eat my shorts soon if you keep up that pace... :D It usually takes me weeks to get to D17 since I play in such short bursts and haphazardly juggle 10 different characters most of the time.

Perhaps I should actually watch some online games; you make it sound effortless so I must be doing the plain unarmed build totally wrong (or unarmed got a buff I'm unaware of after 0.8; since I'm still playing that offline~ was waiting for 0.10 to release before updating).

Last pure unarmed one I tried was a Vampire Monk, by and the by. This was the one that got pincushioned by Centaurs, as noted above. Thought it was funny at the time though, just figured that they'd fired an arrow in such a way as to have staked me, classic vamp style. :(

Oh, and sort of relevant, below my Ilya dump (she's based on my own D&D ice goddess from my setting, and doesn't have the above restrictions, but she does fight unarmed with Ice Form most of the time with ice magic backup). This has been my first successful 'weaponless' character:
  Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.8.0 character file.

Ilya the Black Belt (Demigod Monk)                                                             Turns: 49303, Time: 06:25:05

HP  82/150       AC  8     Str 20      Exp: 17/258775 (390), need: 39624
MP  35/35        EV 28     Int 22      God:
Gold 2901        SH 21     Dex 21      Spells:  9 memorised,  7 levels left

Res.Fire  : + + .   See Invis. : +      - Unarmed
Res.Cold  : + + +   Warding    : . .  y - +3 leather armour {rC+}
Life Prot.: + . .   Conserve   : +    D - +3 buckler
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    R - +0 cap
Res.Poison: .       Clarity    : +    A - +0 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlt
Res.Elec. : +       Spirit.Shd : .    (no gloves)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    a - +0 pair of boots
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: +    x - amulet of conservation
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    c - ring of the Invisible Hand {rC+ Dex+2 SInv
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    K - ring "Acoada" {+Inv rF+ rN+ Acc+1}

@: quite resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: claws 1, talons 1, clarity, fire resistance 1, +10% mp, +10% hp, electricity resistance, teleport control, Str +2
a: Evoke Invisibility

You are on level 5 of the Elven Halls.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 5 branches of the dungeon, and seen 37 of its levels.
You have visited the Abyss 2 times.
You have visited 1 Labyrinth.
You have visited 4 portal chambers: ossuary, ice cave, volcano, bailey.

You have collected 4078 gold pieces.
You have spent 1177 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 I - a +1,+3 long sword of holy wrath
Armour
 a - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
 g - a +0 shield of reflection
 y - a +3 leather armour of cold resistance (worn)
 A - the +0 cloak of Starlight (worn) {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
   (You acquired it on level 13 of the Dungeon)   

It affects your evasion (+4).
   It protects you from cold.
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It makes you much less stealthy.

A cloak woven of pure light beams.
 D - a +3 buckler (worn)
 G - a +2 large shield
 R - a +0 cap (worn)
Magical devices
 j - a wand of cold (7)
 t - a wand of flame
 w - a wand of disintegration (8)
 F - a wand of fireball (7)
 M - a wand of enslavement (7)
 O - a wand of fire (5)
 V - a wand of fire (6)
Comestibles
 b - 4 bread rations
 H - 3 honeycombs
Scrolls
 d - 7 scrolls of detect curse
 e - 8 scrolls of remove curse
 f - 3 scrolls of enchant weapon I
 h - 8 scrolls of teleportation
 k - 6 scrolls of amnesia
 m - a scroll labeled JEL ESTRERISIWINABI {tried}
 n - a scroll of recharging
 p - a scroll of magic mapping
 E - 3 scrolls of fog
 N - 4 scrolls of blinking
Jewellery
 c - the ring of the Invisible Hand (right hand) {rC+ Dex+2 SInv}
   (You acquired it on level 13 of the Dungeon)   

[ring of protection from cold]

It affects your dexterity (+2).
   It enhances your eyesight.
 i - an uncursed ring of poison resistance
 x - an amulet of conservation (around neck)
 K - the ring "Acoada" (left hand) {+Inv rF+ rN+ Acc+1}
   (You found it in a Labyrinth)   

[ring of invisibility]

It affects your accuracy (+1).
   It protects you from fire.
Potions
 l - 3 potions of restore abilities
 o - 7 potions of might
 q - 10 potions of healing
 r - 3 potions of speed
 s - 4 potions of heal wounds
 v - a potion of invisibility
 z - 4 potions of agility
 B - 2 potions of levitation
 Q - 2 potions of brilliance
 Y - 2 potions of magic
Books
 u - the Reference Book on Hexes
   (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Elven Halls)   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   *Confusing Touch                   Hexes                        1
   Projected Noise                    Hexes                        2
   Control Undead                     Hexes/Necromancy             5
   Darkness                           Hexes                        7
 L - a book of Conjurations [ice+air]   

Magic Dart                         Conjuration                  1
   *Throw Frost                       Conjuration/Ice              2
   *Mephitic Cloud                    Conjuration/Poison/Air       3
   Static Discharge                   Conjuration/Air              4
   Lightning Bolt                     Conjuration/Air              5
   Bolt of Cold                       Conjuration/Ice              6
 T - a book of the Sky   

Insulation                         Charms/Air                   4
   Airstrike                          Air                          4
   Flight                             Charms/Air                   4
   Silence                            Charms/Air                   5
   Lightning Bolt                     Conjuration/Air              5
   Deflect Missiles                   Charms/Air                   6
   Conjure Ball Lightning             Conjuration/Air              7
Magical staves
 C - an uncursed short jewelled staff
 P - a staff of wizardry

You have 390 experience left.

Skills:
 + Level 10 Fighting
 - Level 2 Staves
 + Level 2 Armour
 + Level 13 Dodging
 - Level 3 Stealth
 + Level 4 Stabbing
 + Level 6 Shields
 + Level 3 Traps & Doors
 + Level 16 Unarmed Combat
 + Level 7 Spellcasting
 + Level 11 Conjurations
 + Level 1 Hexes
 + Level 3 Charms
 + Level 4 Transmutations
 + Level 11 Ice Magic
 + Level 3 Air Magic
 + Level 2 Poison Magic
 + Level 3 Evocations

You have 7 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Swiftness             Air/Chrm       ####......   Excellent   2    None
b - Repel Missiles        Air/Chrm       ####......   Excellent   2    None
c - Throw Frost           Ice/Conj       #######      Excellent   2    None
d - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          Very Good   2    None
e - Mephitic Cloud        Pois/Air/Conj  #####.....   Excellent   3    Sultana
f - Ice Form              Ice/Trmt       ######....   Excellent   4    Choko
g - Ozocubu's Armour      Ice/Chrm       ######....   Excellent   3    Sultana
h - Throw Icicle          Ice/Conj       #######..    Excellent   4    Choko
i - Confusing Touch       Hex            ###.......   Great       1    None

Branches:
Dungeon (15/27)            Temple (0/1) D:6             Orc (4/4) D:11
    Elf (5/5) Orc:4          Lair (8/8) D:9           Swamp (5/5) Lair:5
 Shoals (0/5) Lair:4        Slime (0/6) Lair:6     
  Hive: D:11-16      Vault: D:14-19     

Shops:
D:4: [  D:6: (  D:7: (  D:10: +  Orc:3: %  Orc:4: /%[%+(  Elf:1: +  Elf:4: +

You have sharp fingernails.
You have sharp toenails.
You possess an exceptional clarity of mind.
Your flesh is heat resistant.
You have an increased reservoir of magic (+10% MP).
You are robust (+10% HP).
You are resistant to electric shocks.
Your muscles are strong (Str +2).
You can control translocations.

Message History

an elven short sword; an elven leather armour
Things that are here:
an elven scale mail; an uncursed elven short sword
Welcome back, Ilya the Demigod Monk.

···
     ···
     ···
     ¦·¦
     ¦·¦
     ¦·¦
     ¦·¦
     ¦·¦
     ¦·¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦(¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦··)·)[··[[))·(··
¦@¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦·¦
¦(¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦··········¦
¦··········¦
¦·f········¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦··f·······¦·····
¦··········¦·····
¦··········¦?····
¦¦¦·¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦·····
  ¦·¦      ¦·····
  ¦)¦      ¦·····

Vanquished Creatures
  Mennas (Elf:5)
  Nikola (Elf:3)
  A deep elf blademaster (Elf:5)
  Rupert (Elf:1)
  Agnes (Elf:3)
  Roxanne (Elf:1)
  Aizul (Elf:4)
  Donald (Elf:3)
  Wiglaf (Elf:3)
  5 deep elf annihilators (Elf:5)
  Jozef (Orc:2)
  2 deep elf death magi (Elf:5)
  A deep elf sorcerer (Elf:5)
  Snorg (Swamp:3)
  A minotaur (Lab)
  Josephine (D:11)
  Erica (D:11)
  2 ogre magi (Orc:4)
  18 hydras
  A deep elf high priest (Elf:5)
  6 alligators
  6 death yaks (Lair:8)
  Erolcha (D:11)
  2 griffons
  An ice devil (Elf:1)
  2 unseen horrors (D:12)
  An orc knight (Orc:3)
  A giant orange brain (Abyss)
  21 deep elf knights
  2 skeletal warriors
  A wizard (Abyss)
  An ice statue (Port)
  9 swamp dragons (Swamp:5)
  5 hill giants
  Urug (D:11)
  An orc sorcerer (Orc:2)
  2 lindwurms
  2 red wasps (Swamp:4)
  3 giant amoebae (Lair:6)
  Maurice (D:8)
  6 cyclopes
  2 black mambas (Lair:8)
  A sixfirhy (Abyss)
  A weapon mimic (D:11)
  An elephant slug (Lair:7)
  13 spiny frogs
  A door mimic (D:11)
  A giant toad zombie (D:11)
  An orange demon (Abyss)
  5 elephants (Lair:3)
  A hellwing (Abyss)
  30 slime creatures
  2 hill giant zombies (D:14)
  2 rock trolls (Orc:4)
  Psyche (Orc:2)
  12 elf zombies
  14 trolls
  10 spriggans (Lair:8)
  Sonja (D:12)
  A queen bee (Lair:6)
  A spriggan (shapeshifter) (D:14)
  3 komodo dragons
  17 polar bears
  6 bog mummies
  6 two-headed ogres
  12 giant toads
  3 smoke demons
  A two-headed ogre (shapeshifter) (Elf:2)
  A snapping turtle (Lair:4)
  10 baby alligators
  9 grizzly bears (Lair:8)
  3 giant fireflies (Lair:8)
  8 blink frogs
  2 human zombies (Port)
  11 deep elf conjurers
  3 fire elementals (Port)
  A toenail golem (Port)
  42 yaks
  A ynoxinul (Elf:4)
  Eustachio (D:7)
  A hog (shapeshifter) (Elf:5)
  A beast (Elf:4)
  Grum (D:8)
  A steam dragon (D:12)
  A hungry ghost (D:9)
  2 fire drakes (Lair:7)
  4 wyverns
  13 deep elf summoners
  A wraith (D:13)
  3 hippogriffs
  10 war dogs
  18 vampire mosquitoes
  19 deep elf fighters
  2 soldier ants
  28 swamp worms
  A cyclops zombie (D:12)
  A manticore (D:10)
  An orange crystal statue (D:12)
  3 molten gargoyles (Port)
  A manticore zombie (D:12)
  A red devil (Elf:3)
  A cyclops skeleton (D:11)
  9 centaurs
  9 insubstantial wisps (Swamp:2)
  2 yellow wasps
  3 sky beasts
  9 ice beasts
  An ogre (shapeshifter) (Elf:4)
  12 deep elf priests
  17 orc warriors
  31 ogres
  Menkaure (D:6)
  5 black bears (Lair:8)
  18 swamp drakes
  6 giant goldfish
  15 deep elf magi
  10 crocodiles
  5 gila monsters
  A small abomination (Abyss)
  16 giant frogs
  A warg (Orc:4)
  26 wolves
  A giant frog zombie (D:12)
  15 water moccasins
  A water moccasin zombie (D:14)
  4 giant slugs
  A soldier ant zombie (D:14)
  A centaur zombie (Port)
  6 agate snails
  2 giant leeches
  A boulder beetle (Lair:7)
  A jellyfish (Swamp:3)
  37 killer bees
  3 big kobold zombies
  14 electric eels
  A killer bee zombie (D:11)
  2 gila monster zombies
  7 imps
  2 big kobold skeletons (D:14)
  2 goliath beetles (D:9)
  3 iron imps
  7 hounds
  Crazy Yiuf (D:3)
  3 big fish (Lair:4)
  2 hound zombies
  19 orc priests
  A quasit (D:12)
  2 shadows
  3 iguanas
  19 orc wizards
  14 porcupines
  2 scorpions (D:10)
  10 worker ants
  36 deep elf soldiers
  23 sheep
  11 jellies
  A goliath beetle zombie (D:11)
  4 mummies
  4 giant centipedes
  52 green rats
  2 midges
  14 snakes
  A giant centipede zombie (D:14)
  3 lemures
  2 giant mites
  20 gnolls
  2 iguana zombies
  A shadow imp (Elf:4)
  3 snake zombies (Port)
  A white imp (Elf:4)
  A snake skeleton (D:8)
  6 worms
  14 ufetubi
  3 gnoll zombies (Port)
  6 giant geckos
  2 oozes
  158 orcs
  7 giant cockroaches
  40 goblins
  21 hobgoblins
  26 jackals
  24 kobolds
  9 quokkas
  2 small snakes
  10 giant newts
  2 giant spores
  A goblin zombie (Port)
  2 hobgoblin skeletons
  3 hobgoblin zombies (Port)
  8 jackal zombies (Port)
  6 killer bee larvae (Lair:6)
  A kobold skeleton (D:6)
  2 kobold zombies (Port)
  37 megabats
  An orc zombie (Port)
  2 quokka zombies (Port)
  30 rats
  A rat skeleton (D:4)
  7 rat zombies (Port)
  4 ballistomycetes
  A butterfly (Swamp:5)
  10 fungi
  3 plants
  26 toadstools
1514 creatures vanquished.

A deep elf demonologist (Elf:5)
  6 slime creatures (Swamp:5)
  An elf zombie (Elf:5)
  2 spriggans (Lair:8)
  A small abomination (Swamp:5)
  A black bear (Lair:8)
  A giant leech (Swamp:5)
  A snake (Swamp:5)
  A megabat (Elf:1)
  A rat (Elf:1)
18 creatures vanquished.

A deep elf knight (Elf:2)
  7 slime creatures
  A deep elf fighter (Elf:1)
  A deep elf mage (Elf:3)
  A deep elf soldier (Elf:3)
  A worker ant (D:13)
  An elf zombie (Elf:1)
  A snake (Swamp:4)
  3 orcs
  A goblin (D:14)
  A giant newt (D:9)
  A kobold zombie (Port)
  2 rats
  2 bushes (D:9)
  7 fungi
  3 plants (D:9)
  204 toadstools
238 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 1770 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place   | Note
     0 | D:1      | Ilya, the Demigod Monk, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 15/15 MP: 1/1
   421 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 19/21 MP: 2/3
  1279 | D:2      | Reached skill level 4 in Unarmed Combat
  1304 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 26/28 MP: 4/4
  2430 | D:3      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 32/34 MP: 5/6
  2651 | D:3      | Noticed Crazy Yiuf
  2658 | D:3      | Defeated Crazy Yiuf
  2676 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Spellcasting
  2954 | D:4      | Found a sand-covered staircase.
  2960 | ossuary  | Entered a tomb
  3022 | ossuary  | Reached XP level 5. HP: 4/41 MP: 8/9
  3022 | ossuary  | Reached XP level 6. HP: 4/47 MP: 9/10
  3299 | ossuary  | Reached skill level 5 in Unarmed Combat
  3582 | ossuary  | Reached skill level 6 in Unarmed Combat
  3610 | ossuary  | Reached XP level 7. HP: 50/55 MP: 11/12
  3850 | ossuary  | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
  3864 | ossuary  | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
  4151 | D:4      | Found Qapsaemil's Armour Emporium.
  4258 | D:4      | Reached skill level 7 in Unarmed Combat
  4271 | D:4      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
  4485 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  4593 | D:5      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  5530 | D:6      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 18/63 MP: 13/15
  5541 | D:6      | Gained mutation: You are robust (+10% HP).
  5542 | D:6      | Gained mutation: You can control translocations.
  5543 | D:6      | Gained mutation: You have sharp toenails.
  5711 | D:7      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  5780 | D:7      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  5871 | D:7      | Found Brias' Weapon Boutique.
  5929 | D:6      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  6026 | D:6      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
  6032 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  6153 | D:6      | Learned a level 2 spell: Swiftness
  6155 | D:6      | Learned a level 1 spell: Apportation
  6682 | D:6      | Found Cestriceo's Weapon Shop.
  6762 | D:6      | Noticed Menkaure
  6769 | D:6      | Defeated Menkaure
  6923 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Air Magic
  6926 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Charms
  7036 | D:7      | Reached skill level 8 in Unarmed Combat
  7245 | D:7      | Noticed Eustachio
  7273 | D:7      | Defeated Eustachio
  7525 | D:8      | Noticed Grum
  7551 | D:8      | Defeated Grum
  7551 | D:8      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 5/77 MP: 16/16
  7553 | D:8      | Reached skill level 1 in Shields
  7771 | D:8      | Reached skill level 1 in Stabbing
  7997 | D:8      | Reached skill level 9 in Unarmed Combat
  8026 | D:8      | Noticed Maurice
  8032 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
  8054 | D:8      | Defeated Maurice
  8180 | D:8      | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
  8344 | D:8      | Learned a level 2 spell: Throw Frost
  8514 | D:8      | Reached skill level 1 in Conjurations
  8543 | D:8      | Reached skill level 1 in Ice Magic
  8578 | D:8      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
  9289 | D:9      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  9317 | D:9      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 59/86 MP: 14/18
  9337 | D:9      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  9571 | D:9      | Reached skill level 10 in Unarmed Combat
  9645 | D:9      | Noticed an agate snail
  9797 | D:9      | Defeated an agate snail
  9922 | D:9      | Noticed an agate snail
 10259 | D:9      | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 10339 | D:9      | Defeated an agate snail
 10803 | D:9      | Reached skill level 11 in Unarmed Combat
 10858 | D:9      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
 11692 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 11984 | Lair:1   | Reached XP level 11. HP: 44/96 MP: 20/20
 12712 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
 13376 | Lair:3   | Learned a level 2 spell: Repel Missiles
 13595 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 5 in Ice Magic
 13770 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 1 in Evocations
 13940 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 12 in Unarmed Combat
 15332 | Lair:4   | Found a staircase to the Shoals.
 15411 | Lair:4   | Found a frozen archway.
 15675 | IceCv    | Entered an ice cave
 16628 | IceCv    | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
 16792 | IceCv    | Reached XP level 12. HP: 99/106 MP: 23/23
 17064 | IceCv    | Learned a level 3 spell: Mephitic Cloud
 18311 | Lair:5   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 18837 | Lair:5   | Reached skill level 13 in Unarmed Combat
 19489 | Lair:5   | Gained mutation: Your muscles are strong (Str +1).
 19490 | Lair:5   | Gained mutation: Your muscles are strong (Str +2).
 19546 | Lair:6   | Got an iridescent scythe
 19547 | Lair:6   | Identified the cursed +3,+6 scythe of Reop (You found it on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)
 19953 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 20304 | Lair:6   | Identified a scroll of acquirement
 20305 | Lair:6   | Got a colourful book
 20306 | Lair:6   | Identified the Incunabulum of Freezing Buffs (You acquired it on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)
 20311 | Lair:6   | Learned a level 4 spell: Ice Form
 20315 | Lair:6   | Learned a level 3 spell: Ozocubu's Armour
 20653 | Lair:6   | Reached skill level 1 in Transmutations
 20754 | Lair:6   | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
 21680 | Lair:7   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 51/113 MP: 27/27
 22282 | Lair:7   | Reached skill level 5 in Shields
 22882 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 22937 | Lair:8   | Found a labyrinth entrance.
 23270 | Lab      | Entered a Labyrinth
 23330 | Lab      | Found a one-way gate to the infinite horrors of the Abyss.
 23391 | Lab      | Got a sparkling glass ring
 23397 | Lab      | Got a shimmering steam dragon armour
 23400 | Lab      | Identified the cursed -4 steam dragon armour of Music (You found it in a Labyrinth)
 23404 | Lab      | Got a black cutlass
 23405 | Lab      | Identified the ring "Acoada" (You found it in a Labyrinth)
 23405 | Lab      | Identified the +6,+7 Captain's cutlass (You found it in a Labyrinth)
 23472 | Lab      | Found a one-way gate to the infinite horrors of the Abyss.
 23478 | Abyss    | Entered The Abyss
 23491 | Abyss    | Learned a level 4 spell: Throw Icicle
 23539 | Abyss    | Reached skill level 10 in Dodging
 23645 | Lair:8   | You pass through the gate.
 24513 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 14 in Unarmed Combat
 24836 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 1 in Poison Magic
 25687 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 25950 | D:10     | Found Usiaphos' Book Emporium.
 26502 | D:11     | Noticed Erolcha
 26508 | D:11     | Defeated Erolcha
 26716 | D:11     | Noticed Erica
 26727 | D:11     | Defeated Erica
 26727 | D:11     | Reached XP level 14. HP: 117/123 MP: 25/28
 26743 | D:11     | Noticed Urug
 26760 | D:11     | Defeated Urug
 27057 | D:11     | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 27176 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 27318 | Orc:2    | Noticed Jozef
 27327 | Orc:2    | Defeated Jozef
 27887 | Orc:1    | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
 28475 | Orc:3    | Found Tec Opnu's Food Emporium.
 28493 | Orc:3    | Bought a choko for 4 gold pieces
 28493 | Orc:3    | Bought a bread ration for 48 gold pieces
 28493 | Orc:3    | Bought an apple for 9 gold pieces
 28741 | Orc:2    | Noticed Psyche
 28753 | Orc:2    | Defeated Psyche
 28828 | Orc:2    | Found a dark tunnel.
 29093 | Volcano  | Entered a volcano
 29386 | Volcano  | HP: 1/147 [cloud of flame (18)]
 29714 | Orc:4    | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
 29714 | Orc:4    | Found a staircase to the Elven Halls.
 29752 | Orc:4    | Found Mnaih's Food Boutique.
 29754 | Orc:4    | Noticed a cyclops
 29758 | Orc:4    | Noticed an ogre mage
 29761 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 29762 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 29762 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 29764 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 29766 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 29783 | Orc:3    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 30022 | Orc:4    | Noticed a two-headed ogre
 30033 | Orc:4    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 30042 | Orc:4    | Noticed an ogre mage
 30054 | Orc:4    | Found Phud's Armour Shop.
 30066 | Orc:4    | Defeated an ogre mage
 30187 | Orc:4    | Noticed a cyclops
 30200 | Orc:4    | Defeated a cyclops
 30205 | Orc:4    | Noticed a rock troll
 30207 | Orc:4    | Noticed a rock troll
 30220 | Orc:4    | Defeated a rock troll
 30225 | Orc:4    | Defeated a rock troll
 30745 | Orc:4    | Found Phuuduu's Magical Wand Shoppe.
 30774 | Orc:4    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 31214 | Orc:4    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 31242 | Orc:4    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 31266 | Orc:4    | Paralysed by an ogre mage for 5 turns
 31277 | Orc:4    | Defeated an ogre mage
 31737 | Orc:4    | Defeated a cyclops
 31834 | Orc:4    | Found Akimit's Food Emporium.
 31840 | Orc:4    | Found Thaiclaut's Book Boutique.
 31859 | Orc:4    | Defeated a two-headed ogre
 31914 | Orc:4    | Found Zoomo's Antique Weapon Shop.
 32268 | Elf:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Elven Halls
 32375 | Elf:1    | Found Quoc's Book Boutique.
 32419 | Elf:1    | Noticed Roxanne
 32455 | Elf:1    | Defeated Roxanne
 32541 | Elf:1    | Noticed Rupert
 32555 | Elf:1    | Defeated Rupert
 32893 | Elf:1    | Reached skill level 1 in Armour
 32947 | Elf:1    | Gained mutation: Armour fits poorly on your unusually shaped body.
 34312 | Elf:2    | You are cast into the Abyss!
 34312 | Elf:2    | Cast into the Abyss (deep elf knight)
 34378 | Abyss    | Noticed a wizard
 34392 | Abyss    | Defeated a wizard
 34438 | Abyss    | Noticed an earth elemental
 34453 | Elf:2    | You pass through the gate.
 34513 | Elf:2    | Noticed an orc priest
 34526 | Elf:2    | Defeated an orc priest
 34628 | Elf:2    | Noticed an orc priest
 34639 | Elf:2    | Defeated an orc priest
 34850 | D:11     | Noticed Josephine
 34850 | D:11     | Noticed a cyclops skeleton
 34856 | D:11     | Defeated Josephine
 34859 | D:11     | Defeated a cyclops skeleton
 35378 | D:12     | Noticed Sonja
 35388 | D:12     | Defeated Sonja
 35401 | D:12     | Found a snail-covered altar of Cheibriados.
 35477 | D:12     | Found a snail-covered altar of Cheibriados.
 37054 | D:13     | Got a phosphorescent cloak
 37055 | D:13     | Identified the +0 cloak of Starlight (You acquired it on level 13 of the Dungeon)
 37120 | D:13     | Reached XP level 15. HP: 133/133 MP: 27/29
 37158 | D:13     | Reached skill level 15 in Unarmed Combat
 37211 | D:13     | Got a slimy lapis lazuli ring
 37212 | D:13     | Identified the ring of the Invisible Hand (You acquired it on level 13 of the Dungeon)
 37729 | D:14     | You fall through a shaft!
 37729 | D:15     | Entered Level 15 of the Dungeon
 37775 | D:14     | Found a flagged portal.
 37801 | bailey   | Entered the bailey
 38982 | D:14     | Gained mutation: You are resistant to electric shocks.
 38983 | D:14     | Gained mutation: You possess an exceptional clarity of mind.
 38984 | D:14     | Gained mutation: You have sharp fingernails.
 38985 | D:14     | Lost mutation: Armour fits poorly on your unusually shaped body.
 39668 | Swamp:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Swamp
 39694 | Swamp:1  | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
 40744 | Swamp:2  | Got a smoking falchion
 41040 | Swamp:2  | Identified the cursed -5,+0 falchion of Truncation (You found it on level 2 of the Swamp)
 41282 | Swamp:3  | Got a smoking amber ring
 41383 | Swamp:3  | Noticed Snorg
 41394 | Swamp:3  | Defeated Snorg
 41404 | Swamp:3  | Reached skill level 10 in Ice Magic
 43046 | Swamp:4  | Reached skill level 10 in Conjurations
 43069 | Swamp:4  | Identified the cursed ring of Departure (You found it on level 3 of the Swamp)
 43072 | Swamp:5  | Entered Level 5 of the Swamp
 43591 | Swamp:5  | Reached XP level 16. HP: 139/139 MP: 29/31
 44292 | Swamp:5  | Got a decaying rune of Zot
 44978 | Elf:3    | Noticed Donald
 44988 | Elf:3    | Defeated Donald
 45154 | Elf:3    | Noticed Wiglaf
 45156 | Elf:3    | Noticed Agnes
 45176 | Elf:3    | Defeated Wiglaf
 45186 | Elf:3    | Defeated Agnes
 45392 | Elf:3    | Noticed Nikola
 45439 | Elf:3    | Defeated Nikola
 45978 | Elf:4    | Noticed Aizul
 45987 | Elf:4    | Defeated Aizul
 46862 | Elf:4    | Found Brasy's Book Boutique.
 46887 | Elf:4    | Bought the Reference Book on Hexes for 1012 gold pieces
 46890 | Elf:4    | Learned a level 1 spell: Confusing Touch
 47507 | Elf:5    | Entered Level 5 of the Elven Halls
 47748 | Elf:4    | Gained mutation: You have an increased reservoir of magic (+10% MP).
 47749 | Elf:4    | Gained mutation: Your flesh is heat resistant.
 47897 | Elf:5    | Noticed Mennas
 47924 | Elf:5    | Defeated Mennas
 47924 | Elf:5    | Reached XP level 17. HP: 58/146 MP: 34/35
 48053 | Elf:5    | Reached skill level 1 in Hexes
 48707 | Elf:5    | Noticed a deep elf blademaster
 48748 | Elf:5    | Reached skill level 16 in Unarmed Combat
 48749 | Elf:5    | Defeated a deep elf blademaster
 48750 | Elf:5    | Noticed a deep elf blademaster
 49237 | Elf:5    | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting

Table legend:
 A = Turns spent in this place as a percentage of turns spent in the
     entire game.
 B = Non-inter-level travel turns spent in this place as a percentage of
     non-inter-level travel turns spent in the entire game.
 C = Inter-level travel turns spent in this place as a percentage of
     turns spent in this place.
 D = Turns resting spent in this place as a percentage of non-inter-level
     travel turns spent in this place.
 E = Turns spent auto-exploring this place as a percentage of
     non-inter-level travel turns spent in this place.
 F = Non-inter-level travel turns spent in this place divided by the
     number of levels of this place that you've seen.

A       B       C       D       E               F
               +-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+----------------------
         Total | 100.0 | 100.0 |   0.3 |   1.7 |   0.7 |         700.9
       Dungeon |  34.1 |  34.1 |   0.2 |   1.1 |   1.4 |         701.5
  Orcish Mines |   8.0 |   8.0 |   0.6 |   2.4 |   0.6 |         617.8
   Elven Halls |  14.6 |  14.6 |   0.3 |   1.6 |   0.2 |         899.0
          Lair |  22.9 |  22.9 |   0.3 |   2.1 |   0.4 |         882.9
         Swamp |  12.5 |  12.5 |   0.2 |   1.1 |   0.1 |         771.6
     Labyrinth |   0.8 |   0.8 |   0.0 |   0.0 |   0.0 |         236.0
         Abyss |   1.0 |   1.0 |   0.0 |   0.0 |   0.0 |         161.0
Portal Chamber |   6.1 |   6.1 |   0.0 |   4.0 |   0.1 |         467.8
               +-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+----------------------

You have 390 experience left.

Skills:
 + Level 10 Fighting
 - Level 2 Staves
 + Level 2 Armour
 + Level 13 Dodging
 - Level 3 Stealth
 + Level 4 Stabbing
 + Level 6 Shields
 + Level 3 Traps & Doors
 + Level 16 Unarmed Combat
 + Level 7 Spellcasting
 + Level 11 Conjurations
 + Level 1 Hexes
 + Level 3 Charms
 + Level 4 Transmutations
 + Level 11 Ice Magic
 + Level 3 Air Magic
 + Level 2 Poison Magic
 + Level 3 Evocations

You have 7 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Swiftness             Air/Chrm       ####......   Excellent   2    None
b - Repel Missiles        Air/Chrm       ####......   Excellent   2    None
c - Throw Frost           Ice/Conj       #######      Excellent   2    None
d - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          Very Good   2    None
e - Mephitic Cloud        Pois/Air/Conj  #####.....   Excellent   3    Sultana
f - Ice Form              Ice/Trmt       ######....   Excellent   4    Choko
g - Ozocubu's Armour      Ice/Chrm       ######....   Excellent   3    Sultana
h - Throw Icicle          Ice/Conj       #######..    Excellent   4    Choko
i - Confusing Touch       Hex            ###.......   Great       1    None

Branches:
Dungeon (15/27)            Temple (0/1) D:6             Orc (4/4) D:11
    Elf (5/5) Orc:4          Lair (8/8) D:9           Swamp (5/5) Lair:5
 Shoals (0/5) Lair:4        Slime (0/6) Lair:6     
  Hive: D:11-16      Vault: D:14-19     

Shops:
D:4: [  D:6: (  D:7: (  D:10: +  Orc:3: %  Orc:4: /%[%+(  Elf:1: +  Elf:4: +

You have sharp fingernails.
You have sharp toenails.
You possess an exceptional clarity of mind.
Your flesh is heat resistant.
You have an increased reservoir of magic (+10% MP).
You are robust (+10% HP).
You are resistant to electric shocks.
Your muscles are strong (Str +2).
You can control translocations.

Message History

an elven short sword; an elven leather armour
Things that are here:
an elven scale mail; an uncursed elven short sword

···
     ···
     ···
     ¦·¦
     ¦·¦
     ¦·¦
     ¦·¦
     ¦·¦
     ¦·¦
¦¦¦¦¦¦(¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦··)·)[··[[))·(··
¦@¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦·¦
¦(¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦··········¦
¦··········¦
¦·f········¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦··f·······¦·····
¦··········¦·····
¦··········¦?····
¦¦¦·¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦·····
  ¦·¦      ¦·····
  ¦)¦      ¦·····

Table legend:
 A = Kills in this place as a percentage of kills in entire the game.
 B = Kills by you in this place as a percentage of kills by you in
     the entire game.
 C = Kills by friends in this place as a percentage of kills by
     friends in the entire game.
 D = Other kills in this place as a percentage of other kills in the
     entire game.
 E = Character level experience gained in this place as a percentage of
     character level experience gained in the entire game.
 F = Skills experience gained in this place as a percentage of skills
     experience gained in the entire game.
 G = Experience gained in this place divided by the number of levels of
     this place that you have seen.

A       B       C       D       E       F          G
               +-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+--------------
         Total | 100.0 | 100.0 | 100.0 | 100.0 | 100.0 | 100.0 |        6006.9
       Dungeon |  29.7 |  30.1 |   0.0 |   0.0 |  14.4 |  14.4 |        2530.1
  Orcish Mines |  12.9 |  13.1 |   0.0 |   0.0 |   6.7 |   6.7 |        4395.8
   Elven Halls |  12.3 |  12.0 |  26.7 |  50.0 |  30.1 |  30.1 |       15903.2
          Lair |  21.6 |  21.6 |  20.0 |   0.0 |  18.7 |  18.7 |        6181.3
         Swamp |  14.5 |  14.1 |  53.3 |  25.0 |  24.1 |  24.1 |       12739.0
     Labyrinth |   0.1 |   0.1 |   0.0 |   0.0 |   0.5 |   0.5 |        1397.0
         Abyss |   1.0 |   1.0 |   0.0 |   0.0 |   1.4 |   1.4 |        1824.5
Portal Chamber |   8.0 |   8.0 |   0.0 |  25.0 |   4.2 |   4.2 |        2765.3
               +-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+--------------

Vanquished Creatures
  Mennas (Elf:5)
  Nikola (Elf:3)
  A deep elf blademaster (Elf:5)
  Rupert (Elf:1)
  Agnes (Elf:3)
  Roxanne (Elf:1)
  Aizul (Elf:4)
  Donald (Elf:3)
  Wiglaf (Elf:3)
  5 deep elf annihilators (Elf:5)
  Jozef (Orc:2)
  2 deep elf death magi (Elf:5)
  Snorg (Swamp:3)
  A minotaur (Lab)
  Josephine (D:11)
  Erica (D:11)
  2 ogre magi (Orc:4)
  18 hydras
  6 alligators
  6 death yaks (Lair:8)
  Erolcha (D:11)
  2 griffons
  An ice devil (Elf:1)
  2 unseen horrors (D:12)
  An orc knight (Orc:3)
  A giant orange brain (Abyss)
  21 deep elf knights
  2 skeletal warriors
  A wizard (Abyss)
  An ice statue (Port)
  9 swamp dragons (Swamp:5)
  5 hill giants
  Urug (D:11)
  An orc sorcerer (Orc:2)
  2 lindwurms
  2 red wasps (Swamp:4)
  3 giant amoebae (Lair:6)
  Maurice (D:8)
  6 cyclopes
  2 black mambas (Lair:8)
  A sixfirhy (Abyss)
  A weapon mimic (D:11)
  An elephant slug (Lair:7)
  13 spiny frogs
  A door mimic (D:11)
  A giant toad zombie (D:11)
  An orange demon (Abyss)
  5 elephants (Lair:3)
  A hellwing (Abyss)
  30 slime creatures
  2 hill giant zombies (D:14)
  2 rock trolls (Orc:4)
  Psyche (Orc:2)
  12 elf zombies
  14 trolls
  10 spriggans (Lair:8)
  Sonja (D:12)
  A queen bee (Lair:6)
  A spriggan (shapeshifter) (D:14)
  3 komodo dragons
  17 polar bears
  6 bog mummies
  6 two-headed ogres
  12 giant toads
  3 smoke demons
  A two-headed ogre (shapeshifter) (Elf:2)
  A snapping turtle (Lair:4)
  10 baby alligators
  9 grizzly bears (Lair:8)
  3 giant fireflies (Lair:8)
  8 blink frogs
  2 human zombies (Port)
  11 deep elf conjurers
  3 fire elementals (Port)
  A toenail golem (Port)
  42 yaks
  A ynoxinul (Elf:4)
  Eustachio (D:7)
  A hog (shapeshifter) (Elf:5)
  A beast (Elf:4)
  Grum (D:8)
  A steam dragon (D:12)
  A hungry ghost (D:9)
  2 fire drakes (Lair:7)
  4 wyverns
  13 deep elf summoners
  A wraith (D:13)
  3 hippogriffs
  10 war dogs
  18 vampire mosquitoes
  19 deep elf fighters
  2 soldier ants
  28 swamp worms
  A cyclops zombie (D:12)
  A manticore (D:10)
  An orange crystal statue (D:12)
  3 molten gargoyles (Port)
  A manticore zombie (D:12)
  A red devil (Elf:3)
  A cyclops skeleton (D:11)
  9 centaurs
  9 insubstantial wisps (Swamp:2)
  2 yellow wasps
  3 sky beasts
  9 ice beasts
  An ogre (shapeshifter) (Elf:4)
  12 deep elf priests
  17 orc warriors
  31 ogres
  Menkaure (D:6)
  5 black bears (Lair:8)
  18 swamp drakes
  6 giant goldfish
  15 deep elf magi
  10 crocodiles
  5 gila monsters
  A small abomination (Abyss)
  16 giant frogs
  A warg (Orc:4)
  26 wolves
  A giant frog zombie (D:12)
  15 water moccasins
  A water moccasin zombie (D:14)
  4 giant slugs
  A soldier ant zombie (D:14)
  A centaur zombie (Port)
  6 agate snails
  2 giant leeches
  A boulder beetle (Lair:7)
  A jellyfish (Swamp:3)
  37 killer bees
  3 big kobold zombies
  14 electric eels
  A killer bee zombie (D:11)
  2 gila monster zombies
  7 imps
  2 big kobold skeletons (D:14)
  2 goliath beetles (D:9)
  3 iron imps
  7 hounds
  Crazy Yiuf (D:3)
  3 big fish (Lair:4)
  2 hound zombies
  19 orc priests
  A quasit (D:12)
  2 shadows
  3 iguanas
  19 orc wizards
  14 porcupines
  2 scorpions (D:10)
  10 worker ants
  36 deep elf soldiers
  23 sheep
  11 jellies
  A goliath beetle zombie (D:11)
  4 mummies
  4 giant centipedes
  52 green rats
  2 midges
  14 snakes
  A giant centipede zombie (D:14)
  3 lemures
  2 giant mites
  20 gnolls
  2 iguana zombies
  A shadow imp (Elf:4)
  3 snake zombies (Port)
  A white imp (Elf:4)
  A snake skeleton (D:8)
  6 worms
  14 ufetubi
  3 gnoll zombies (Port)
  6 giant geckos
  2 oozes
  158 orcs
  7 giant cockroaches
  40 goblins
  21 hobgoblins
  26 jackals
  24 kobolds
  9 quokkas
  2 small snakes
  10 giant newts
  2 giant spores
  A goblin zombie (Port)
  2 hobgoblin skeletons
  3 hobgoblin zombies (Port)
  8 jackal zombies (Port)
  6 killer bee larvae (Lair:6)
  A kobold skeleton (D:6)
  2 kobold zombies (Port)
  37 megabats
  An orc zombie (Port)
  2 quokka zombies (Port)
  30 rats
  A rat skeleton (D:4)
  7 rat zombies (Port)
  4 ballistomycetes
  A butterfly (Swamp:5)
  10 fungi
  3 plants
  26 toadstools
1514 creatures vanquished.

A deep elf demonologist (Elf:5)
  6 slime creatures (Swamp:5)
  An elf zombie (Elf:5)
  2 spriggans (Lair:8)
  A small abomination (Swamp:5)
  A black bear (Lair:8)
  A giant leech (Swamp:5)
  A snake (Swamp:5)
  A megabat (Elf:1)
  A rat (Elf:1)
18 creatures vanquished.

A deep elf knight (Elf:2)
  7 slime creatures
  A deep elf fighter (Elf:1)
  A deep elf mage (Elf:3)
  A deep elf soldier (Elf:3)
  A worker ant (D:13)
  An elf zombie (Elf:1)
  A snake (Swamp:4)
  3 orcs
  A goblin (D:14)
  A giant newt (D:9)
  A kobold zombie (Port)
  2 rats
  2 bushes (D:9)
  7 fungi
  3 plants (D:9)
  204 toadstools
238 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 1770 creatures vanquished

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 29th January 2012, 17:32

Are you using any thrown weapons or no weapons at all?

cerebovssquire wrote:D:17, alive and kicking, Lair and Orc cleared!

This wasn't a challenge at all so far... and look what just happened 10 turns ago... it's going to be genuinely easy now. Lack of shields isn't too noticable (a buckler doesn't do that much, I don't miss wands execpt for when creatures flee and an Azrael encounter, no curare is a bit annoying, and there's a distortion weapon lying around D:13, but nothing challenging. DgMo is a very good character in my experience (I won one previously, with Charms/Transmutations/Necromancy and rods though, but this still is a pretty strong one).

45202 | D:17 | Found Vahel's Antique Armour Shop.
45297 | D:17 | Bought a pair of thick gauntlets for 254 gold pieces
45297 | D:17 | Bought a glowing cloak for 41 gold pieces
45304 | D:17 | Identified the +3 pair of gauntlets of War (You bought it in a shop on level 17 of the Dungeon)

Still softly weeping over my +5 dam leather wasted though.

You neither need to be hardcore or insanely determined. Some casual play in the evening is enough. Maybe you're picking the wrong race? :)
Dg seems greatly preferable to SE in this particular case, however good SEMo may be as a normal monk with no special unarmed muts.

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.10-b1-18-g4e766d1 character file.

Elynae the Black Belt (Demigod Monk)               Turns: 45324, Time: 01:20:59

HP 114/115       AC 15     Str 15      XL: 14   Next: 63%
MP  18/18        EV 28     Int 18      God:
Gold 1975        SH  0     Dex 24      Spells:  0 memorised, 13 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : .      - Unarmed
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : . .  J - +2 orc robe
Life Prot.: + . .   Conserve   : .    (no shield)
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    l - +2 wizard hat
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    G - +1 cloak {MR}
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    t - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Acc+5 Dam+5}
Sust.Abil.: + .     Stasis     : +    (no boots)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    H - amulet of stasis
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    N - ring of Saed {SustAb rPois rN+}
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    p - +3 ring of protection

@: quite resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: -10% mp, teleportitis 1
a: no special abilities

You are on level 17 of the Dungeon.
You are full.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 29 of its levels.
You have visited 1 bazaar.
You have visited 1 portal chamber: ossuary.

You have collected 3072 gold pieces.
You have spent 1097 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Armour
 l - a +2 wizard hat (worn)
 t - the +3 pair of gauntlets of War (worn) {Acc+5 Dam+5}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 17 of the Dungeon)   

It affects your accuracy (+5).
   It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+5).
 G - a +1 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
 J - a +2 orcish robe (worn)
Comestibles
 b - 10 bread rations
 c - 2 meat rations
 d - a choko
 k - 8 pears
 B - a rotting chunk of orc flesh
 C - 4 rotting chunks of centaur flesh
 E - a royal jelly
 F - 5 chunks of yak flesh
 O - 2 cheeses
Scrolls
 e - 5 scrolls of blinking
 g - a scroll of amnesia
 h - 5 scrolls of fear
 i - 4 scrolls of teleportation
 m - 2 scrolls labeled IPHUSI SKEBIR {tried on cursed +0 helmet, recharge, useless}
 r - 2 scrolls of detect curse
 y - 2 scrolls of identify
 K - a scroll of silence
Jewellery
 a - a cursed ring of teleportation
 p - a +3 ring of protection (left hand)
 s - an uncursed ring of see invisible
 u - an uncursed ring of life protection
 w - an uncursed amulet of clarity
 x - an uncursed amulet of warding
 z - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
 D - the amulet of Khanum {rMut +Lev}

[amulet of resist mutation]

It lets you levitate.
 H - an amulet of stasis (around neck)
 N - the ring of Saed (right hand) {SustAb rPois rN+}

[ring of sustain abilities]

It protects you from poison.
Potions
 j - a potion of heal wounds
 n - a potion of speed
 q - 6 potions of curing
 v - a potion of restore abilities
 A - a potion of invisibility
 I - a potion of levitation

Skills:
 - Level 10.0 Fighting
 + Level 14.5 Dodging
 - Level 1.7 Stealth
 * Level 19.8 Unarmed Combat

You have 13 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Branches:
Dungeon (17/27)            Temple (0/1) D:6             Orc (4/4) D:10
    Elf (0/5) Orc:3          Lair (8/8) D:13         Shoals (0/5) Lair:6
  Slime (0/6) Lair:7        Snake (0/5) Lair:6        Vault (0/8) D:16

Shops:
D:17: [[  Orc:4: *([((

Annotations
D:9 exclusion: 2 electric eels
D:12 exclusion: hydra
D:14 Azrael, Nikola
Lair:2 Rupert
Lair:8 exclusion: hydra

Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity.

Message History

You start removing your armour.
You continue taking off your +0 pair of gauntlets.
You finish taking off your +0 pair of gauntlets.
You start putting on your armour.
You continue putting on your pair of thick gauntlets.
You finish putting on the +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Acc+5 Dam+5}.
Okay, then.
You drop a +2 cloak of darkness.
You drop a +0 pair of gauntlets.
The smell of rotting flesh makes you sick. (slot B)
Key pressed, stopping explore.
You now have 1975 gold pieces.
Found a potion of poison.
Save game and exit?
Lua error: Can't find "lua/pickup.lua"
Welcome back, Elynae the Demigod Monk.

∙
         ∙∙!
         ∙∙∙∙
         ∙∙∙∙∙
        ∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▒▒▒▒▒
        ∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙E∙∙▒
        ∙▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒∙▒
          ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒∙▒
          ▒∙∙∙∙<∙∙∙▒
       ▒  ▒∙▒▒▒∙▒▒∙▒
       ▒∙▒▒∙▒∙∙∙∙▒∙▒
▒▒▒    ▒∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙▒
∙∙▒    ▒▒▒▒∙∩∙∙∙∙∙∙▒
∙∙▒     ▒▒▒∙▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Vanquished Creatures
  Gastronok (Orc:1)
  An orc warlord (D:15)
  The ghost of Wark the Destroyer, a powerful FeVM of Vehumet (D:16)
  Erica (Orc:3)
  Josephine (D:10)
  9 hydras
  An orc high priest (Orc:4)
  The ghost of newuser the Cloud Mage, an experienced HEAE of Okawaru (D:11)
  Nergalle (D:14)
  2 centaur warriors
  Erolcha (D:13)
  A skeletal warrior (D:17)
  A swamp dragon (shapeshifter) (D:15)
  Pikel (D:8)
  8 orc sorcerers
  2 orc knights
  Joseph (D:7)
  5 hill giants
  A griffon (D:15)
  3 wolf spiders
  6 feature mimics
  4 black mambas
  An eye of devastation (Lair:7)
  A cyclops (D:15)
  An elf (shapeshifter) (D:14)
  14 elephants
  An elephant slug (Lair:5)
  2 hill giant zombies
  A slime creature (D:11)
  8 spiny frogs
  A hellwing (Orc:4)
  Psyche (D:11)
  2 trapdoor spiders
  A troll (D:16)
  12 ugly things
  7 komodo dragons
  Sonja (D:13)
  A polar bear (Lair:7)
  An iron devil (Orc:4)
  6 spriggans (Lair:8)
  A queen bee (Lair:3)
  18 blink frogs
  2 giant fireflies (Lair:8)
  5 grizzly bears (Lair:8)
  2 fire elementals
  2 basilisks
  4 bumblebees (Lair:5)
  A wyvern (D:15)
  A chaos spawn (Orc:4)
  2 sharks (Lair:6)
  A wraith (D:16)
  An item mimic (Lair:3)
  2 hippogriffs
  22 yaks
  4 fire drakes
  A deep elf fighter (D:16)
  3 manticores
  12 vampire mosquitoes
  2 rock worms (D:15)
  5 war dogs (Lair:8)
  A necrophage (D:16)
  2 hell hounds
  A red devil (Orc:4)
  3 slaves
  2 giant goldfish (Lair:4)
  8 black bears (Lair:8)
  A phantom (D:13)
  3 ice beasts
  A hippogriff zombie (D:12)
  3 ogres
  27 orc warriors
  2 boring beetles
  8 big kobolds
  22 wargs
  9 centaurs
  6 crocodiles
  3 giant slugs
  A giant frog zombie (D:10)
  12 water moccasins
  20 wolves (Lair:8)
  A gnoll sergeant (D:9)
  8 agate snails
  14 giant frogs
  Blork the orc (D:7)
  A basilisk zombie (D:12)
  2 warg zombies (Orc:4)
  3 wights (D:11)
  43 killer bees
  A big kobold zombie (D:10)
  A shadow (D:11)
  5 jellyfish (Lair:4)
  A quasit (D:10)
  A brain worm zombie (D:11)
  9 crimson imps
  A crocodile skeleton (D:10)
  An ogre skeleton (Orc:3)
  2 big kobold skeletons
  12 hounds
  7 iguanas
  A big fish (D:13)
  4 gnoll shamans
  21 orc priests
  3 goliath beetles
  39 orc wizards
  A worker ant zombie (D:10)
  9 porcupines
  3 scorpions
  10 worker ants
  21 sheep
  2 worm zombies (D:4)
  6 boggarts
  2 jellies
  11 mummies
  8 gnolls
  2 giant centipedes
  A giant centipede zombie (D:12)
  A giant mite (D:4)
  21 adders
  49 green rats
  An iguana skeleton (D:10)
  5 worms
  2 giant eyeballs
  3 gnoll zombies (Port)
  9 giant geckos
  An ooze (D:2)
  184 orcs
  A ball python (D:4)
  20 bats
  6 giant cockroaches
  14 hobgoblins
  32 jackals
  44 kobolds
  9 giant newts
  A giant spore (D:10)
  11 goblins
  A goblin zombie (D:4)
  2 hobgoblin zombies
  A jackal skeleton (D:4)
  A jackal zombie (D:4)
  A kobold zombie (Port)
  14 orc zombies
  8 quokkas
  16 rats
  A ballistomycete (D:10)
  A fungus (Lair:3)
  2 plants
  16 toadstools
1078 creatures vanquished.

A jellyfish (D:13)
1 creature vanquished.

A komodo dragon (Lair:6)
  A small abomination (D:13)
  A slave (D:9)
  2 giant frogs
  An orc priest (D:13)
  A hound (Lair:6)
  A porcupine (Lair:7)
  A boggart (D:14)
  5 green rats (Lair:4)
  2 orc wizards (Orc:4)
  A giant centipede (Lair:5)
  8 orcs
  A hobgoblin (D:16)
  A giant newt (D:1)
  A kobold (D:15)
  2 rats
  7 fungi
  86 toadstools
123 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 1202 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Elynae, the Demigod Monk, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 17/17 MP: 2/2
   514 | D:1      | Reached skill level 4 in Unarmed Combat
   565 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 21/24 MP: 3/3
   967 | D:2      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  1048 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 24/29 MP: 5/5
  1509 | D:2      | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
  1570 | D:2      | Reached skill level 5 in Unarmed Combat
  1620 | D:2      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  2079 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 21/37 MP: 7/7
  3003 | D:4      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  3145 | D:4      | Reached skill level 6 in Unarmed Combat
  3145 | D:4      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 28/42 MP: 8/8
  3603 | D:4      | Found a sand-covered staircase.
  3805 | ossuary  | Entered a tomb
  3869 | ossuary  | Reached XP level 6. HP: 18/49 MP: 10/10
  4267 | ossuary  | Reached skill level 7 in Unarmed Combat
  5510 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  5966 | D:5      | Found a burning altar of Makhleb.
  6081 | D:5      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  6374 | D:5      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 51/56 MP: 12/12
  6408 | D:5      | Reached skill level 8 in Unarmed Combat
  6757 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  7030 | D:7      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
  7062 | D:7      | Got a smoking war axe
  7063 | D:7      | Identified the +4,+2 war axe of Night (You found it on level 7 of the Dungeon)
  7165 | D:7      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  7190 | D:7      | Got a transparent leather armour
  7191 | D:7      | Identified the +2 leather armour of the Iron City of Dis (You found it on level 7 of the Dungeon)
  7530 | D:7      | Noticed Joseph
  7602 | D:7      | HP: 1/56 [water moccasin (5)]
  7986 | D:6      | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
  8682 | D:7      | Killed Joseph
  8682 | D:7      | Reached skill level 9 in Unarmed Combat
  8682 | D:7      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 28/62 MP: 13/13
  8789 | D:7      | Noticed Blork the orc
  8930 | D:7      | Killed Blork the orc
 10037 | D:8      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 10154 | D:8      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
 10651 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Unarmed Combat
 10716 | D:9      | Noticed Pikel
 11181 | D:8      | Killed Pikel
 11181 | D:8      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 54/68 MP: 15/15
 12138 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 12770 | D:9      | Your ally freed slave died
 13378 | D:10     | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 13401 | D:10     | Noticed a crocodile skeleton
 13404 | D:10     | Noticed Josephine
 13458 | D:10     | Killed Josephine
 13458 | D:10     | Reached XP level 10. HP: 61/75 MP: 17/17
 13477 | D:10     | Killed a crocodile skeleton
 14043 | D:11     | Noticed newuser's ghost (experienced HEAE)
 14077 | D:11     | Killed newuser's ghost
 14077 | D:11     | Reached skill level 11 in Unarmed Combat
 14672 | D:11     | Reached skill level 12 in Unarmed Combat
 15094 | D:11     | Reached skill level 10 in Dodging
 15617 | D:11     | Noticed Psyche
 15625 | D:11     | jeanjacques: nice sp(wn)en splat
 15625 | D:11     | yeah i thought i was immortal for some reason or something
 15634 | D:11     | Killed Psyche
 15716 | D:11     | stubborn one, here
 15900 | D:11     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 46/81 MP: 18/18
 16144 | D:13     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 16640 | D:12     | Reached skill level 13 in Unarmed Combat
 18773 | D:13     | Noticed Sonja
 19072 | D:12     | Reached skill level 14 in Unarmed Combat
 19320 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 21311 | Lair:2   | Noticed Rupert
 21318 | Lair:2   | Paralysed by Rupert for 2 turns
 21893 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
 23045 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 15 in Unarmed Combat
 23069 | Lair:3   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 84/92 MP: 19/19
 26157 | Lair:5   | Noticed a bumblebee
 26161 | Lair:5   | Noticed a bumblebee
 26187 | Lair:5   | Killed a bumblebee
 26200 | Lair:5   | Killed a bumblebee
 26210 | Lair:5   | Killed a bumblebee
 26411 | Lair:5   | Killed a bumblebee
 27012 | Lair:5   | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
 27914 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Snake Pit.
 28611 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Shoals.
 30714 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 30719 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 16 in Unarmed Combat
 31195 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: You have a fast metabolism.
 31199 | Lair:8   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 75/107 MP: 20/20
 31203 | Lair:8   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 69/101 MP: 19/19
 31220 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: Your muscles are strong, but stiff (Str +1, Dex -1).
 31240 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
 31260 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: You are weak (Str -1).
 31342 | Lair:8   | Gained mutation: Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity.
 31515 | Lair:8   | Lost mutation: Your muscles are strong, but stiff (Str +1, Dex -1).
 31515 | Lair:8   | Lost mutation: You have a fast metabolism.
 31515 | Lair:8   | Lost mutation: You are weak (Str -1).
 31516 | Lair:8   | argh
 31905 | Lair:8   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 104/107 MP: 18/18
 31962 | Lair:8   | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
 33107 | Lair:7   | Reached skill level 17 in Unarmed Combat
 33961 | Lair:7   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 35280 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 35401 | Orc:2    | wow that was a dumb move
 35559 | Orc:2    | Noticed Gastronok
 35576 | Orc:1    | Killed Gastronok
 35576 | Orc:1    | Reached skill level 18 in Unarmed Combat
 35859 | Orc:2    | Found a flickering gateway to a bazaar.
 35887 | bazaar   | Entered a bazaar
 35891 | bazaar   | Found Xaviv's Jewellery Boutique.
 35909 | bazaar   | Found Ytuzuin's Antique Weapon Emporium.
 35926 | bazaar   | Found Funop's Book Boutique.
 35943 | bazaar   | Found Twog's Weapon Shoppe.
 35966 | bazaar   | Bought an uncursed ring of see invisible for 105 gold pieces
 35966 | bazaar   | Bought the amulet of Khanum {rMut +Lev} for 343 gold pieces
 35967 | bazaar   | Bought the ring of Saed {SustAb rPois rN+} for 294 gold pieces
 36342 | Orc:3    | Noticed Erica
 36359 | Orc:3    | Killed Erica
 36573 | Orc:4    | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
 37288 | Orc:4    | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
 37525 | Orc:4    | Found Byboob's Antique Weapon Emporium.
 37525 | Orc:4    | Found Dogini Choa's Antique Weapon Shop.
 37668 | Orc:4    | Found Crixt's General Store.
 37668 | Orc:4    | Found Uvemaerr's Weapon Shop.
 37699 | Orc:4    | Bought a potion of curing for 34 gold pieces
 37836 | Orc:4    | Reached XP level 14. HP: 107/115 MP: 18/18
 38200 | Orc:4    | Found Zacvoish's Antique Armour Shoppe.
 38243 | Orc:4    | Bought a runed robe for 26 gold pieces
 38546 | Orc:3    | Reached XP level 13. HP: 87/107 MP: 17/18
 38728 | Orc:3    | Noticed an orc high priest
 39206 | Orc:4    | Killed an orc high priest
 39449 | Orc:3    | Found a staircase to the Elven Halls.
 39671 | D:13     | Noticed Erolcha
 39683 | D:13     | Killed Erolcha
 39692 | D:13     | Killed Sonja
 40187 | D:12     | Reached XP level 14. HP: 115/115 MP: 18/18
 40419 | D:13     | Found Mugag's Magical Wand Shop.
 40425 | D:13     | Mugag's Magical Wand Shop was a mimic.
 40663 | D:14     | Entered Level 14 of the Dungeon
 40671 | D:14     | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
 40677 | D:14     | Noticed Nergalle
 40691 | D:14     | Killed Nergalle
 40727 | D:14     | Reached skill level 19 in Unarmed Combat
 41023 | D:14     | Noticed a fire elemental
 41024 | D:14     | Noticed a fire elemental
 41027 | D:14     | Noticed Azrael
 41046 | D:14     | Noticed a fire elemental
 41051 | D:14     | Noticed a fire elemental
 41053 | D:14     | Noticed Nikola
 41057 | D:15     | Entered Level 15 of the Dungeon
 41060 | D:15     | Killed a fire elemental
 41952 | D:14     | Killed a fire elemental
 42153 | D:15     | Noticed an orc warlord
 42194 | D:15     | Killed an orc warlord
 43154 | D:16     | Noticed Wark's ghost (powerful FeVM)
 43170 | D:16     | Killed Wark's ghost
 43253 | D:16     | Found a staircase to the Vaults.
 44774 | D:17     | Found Nulewoe's Armour Shoppe.
 45202 | D:17     | Found Vahel's Antique Armour Shop.
 45297 | D:17     | Bought a pair of thick gauntlets for 254 gold pieces
 45297 | D:17     | Bought a glowing cloak for 41 gold pieces
 45304 | D:17     | Identified the +3 pair of gauntlets of War (You bought it in a shop on level 17 of the Dungeon)

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 29th January 2012, 20:29

The challenge version would be an Ogre. I just imagine a big badass ogre going crazy thru the dungeon, killing them peeps.

I have been playing basically a pure monk Halfling and he is ridiculously strong compared to da ogres

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 30th January 2012, 12:28

eharper256 wrote:
By purely, I'm meaning no wands, no spells/formshifts, no races with unarmed bonuses, no help from gods, no armours or shields or throwing or ranged combat at all. Avoiding mutations. Not avoiding fights. Just you and your fistcuffs and the queensbury rules... a proper D&D monk, if you like. :D

The bit I've bolded is probably the greatest challenge of all this, since knowing when to avoid fights is one of the things that distinguish a better player.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 30th January 2012, 15:36

Jeremiah wrote:
eharper256 wrote:

The bit I've bolded is probably the greatest challenge of all this, since knowing when to avoid fights is one of the things that distinguish a better player.

Well, that's just ridiculously hard if you interpret it like that. I was thinking he meant that it's not a ninja run, but avoiding fights you can't win is how to win. Additionally, this is why I've only won once. :lol:

Eringya's Employee

Post Tuesday, 31st January 2012, 00:01

eharper256 wrote:By purely, I'm meaning no wands, no spells/formshifts, no races with unarmed bonuses, no help from gods, no armours or shields or throwing or ranged combat at all. Avoiding mutations. Not avoiding fights. Just you and your fistcuffs and the queensbury rules... a proper D&D monk, if you like. :D

Add DE to the above and you have yourself a nice aneurysm.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 6th February 2012, 00:29

Chuck Norris makes this build a trivial way.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th March 2012, 03:21

Naga Monk of Chei.

If you're looking for an answer to the original question, ie, a monk who stays primarily fists but without some of the added restrictions like no wands other people were talking about, then that's pretty much how I play. I don't consider it super high to have an invocations of 13, and I could have kept evocations at 5 and not much would have changed. Throwing was only learned late game after I found 31 bolts of penetration; they aren't necessary, but they're generally useful. I won on a naga monk of Chei during the tournament, 5 runes. I didn't do 15 because I have never done 15 and the one character I tried (also a naga monk) got tormented and hellfired to pieces :)

But in terms of being a straight up punching things until they die, this is a great character. Here's the morgue: http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.10/Ta ... 013421.txt

Also, I just wrote up the YAVP with a guide sort of style, so hopefully it will be of use to you: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4047

edit: Also ignore the spells memorized, I didn't ever cast any of them except fulsome for mutation potions - I tend to like to memorize spells just in case I later want to get them castable, but I was wearing crystal plate armor and they were not castable.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice