Question concerning axes and gold.

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 16th January 2012, 21:26

Question concerning axes and gold.

I'm a new player currently messing around with a MiBe, and I have a few questions

As an axe user, is it worth it to spend scrolls enchanting 1-handed axes, or should I save them for a more powerful 2-hander to appear?

I'm currently at a shop selling a cursed +12, +1 War axe of Disembowelment (venom, rEle, rPois). I still havent got the gold to buy it (777g, I'm at 450g) But when i get the gold, assuming I haven't found a better weapon, is it worth buying.

And in general, how much value should I place in gold?

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 16th January 2012, 22:08

Re: Question concerning axes and gold.

War axe is the second highest tier of 1-handed axes, Broad axe being better. That weapon would be very adequate thru most of the mid 3 rune game and would only start to lose it's luster very late in the dungeon and in the realm of Zot. The decision of 1-handed vs 2 handed is really a question of do you want a shield? I find a shield very useful throughout a 3 rune game, but it's really a personal preference. My final piece of advice is you worship Trog as a MIBE and you will start to get weapon gifts around 5 stars of piety. Over time Trog will give you a weapon superior to the axe in question and your gold can likely be better used elsewhere on scrolls, potions, jewelry or armor from shops.

Also, the scroll cannot be used on white "artifact" weapons so it may become useless later depending on the gifts you get. You can still use the scroll on ammo to reduce the mulch rate of your javelins, sling bullets, etc., but there is an argument for using the scroll now because it may become useless later and an argument for saving the scroll on an eventually better weapon. I never regret using one on a weapon I'm going to wield for awhile no matter the stage of the dungeon.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 16th January 2012, 22:32

As far as gold goes, it varies from player to player. All players should dump gold into an emergency high-tier wand if they have none, should get any potions that are useful, etc. That weapon, however, really isn't that useful compared to the gold it costs. You'll probably find a halfway decent branded axe in orc, and as a zerker you should have no trouble pounding your way through the initial levels of orc.

As for enchant scrolls, berserkers should probably save up since the early game is pretty easy for them. If you're having a hard time, just use one or two enchants.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 17th January 2012, 01:35

So keep gold for usables and scrolls for later brand.

Thanks a lot.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 17th January 2012, 02:42

Can't generalize like that. If you find a godly weapon, then spend your gold on that. Unfortunately, what you found is not a godly weapon by any means.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice