Out of depth stuff is really frustrating (level 1 and 2)

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 12th January 2012, 21:05

Out of depth stuff is really frustrating (level 1 and 2)

Yes, you can just start over, but it's a waste of my time to die on level 1 or 2. I'm not talking I did this or that dumb, I'm talking about a way out of depth monster or a unique spawning with a wand of disenigration. What are you supposed to do about that? Oh, die.

"But whiny newb, the devs don't cuddle you early on because later on it will be . . . " What? You'll not have any escape options or couldn't have played the game any differently because you literally just started and you have nothing?

Honestly there is a line between devilishly difficult and just cheap. I think this game should avoid cheap.

(In this case I'm talking dungeon level 2 terrance killing me in two blasts, from full hp. Possible escape options? None, the game just started.)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 12th January 2012, 21:32

Re: Out of depth stuff is really frustrating (level 1 and 2)

1. High-tier wands don't spawn in very early levels anymore, though that could be still trunk only. Either way it has been acknowledged as something that needed fixing and it has been taken care of - if not in the current stable release, in the next.

2. As a general rule, most of the situations you "whiny newbs" consider inevitable early deaths are perfectly survivable, even with minimal/no resources available - sure, these might take extreme knowledge of the game, but rewarding the best players is a good thing. Of course there are situations where you get a crap hand and there's nothing you can do, but these are extremely rare - I'm talking way less than 1%.

3. It's Terence. I imagine "disenigration" is just an epic typo but "Terrance" shows up way too often. It also points at the average angry newbie's general level of attention, something that is not very good for character survivability, by the way.
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 12th January 2012, 21:36

minmay wrote:possible escape options: walk away from terence

if that wouldn't have worked it's because you walked towards him first which you shouldn't have done

Well not quite. Turn corner -> oh crud adjacent terence 2 steps away! Run, blast blast blast blast blast.

But seriously. It'd d2 :/ Who cares?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 12th January 2012, 22:37

Sometimes life just sucks. But Terence in general tends to spawn with good items anyways, including wands, ego weapons, and ego armour.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 12th January 2012, 22:58

Try playing a spriggan. You'll be able to run away from most stuff since you're faster than most enemies, and once you get a feel of what is dangerous and not you can go back to playing whatever character you wanted to play as, becoming much more prepared to handle dangerous situations.

But honestly, dying in D:1 and D:2 is perfectly normal. wand of fire + Ijyb, dagger of electrocution + kobold, snake poison, even a giant newt can maul you when you're an spellcaster without MP or a weapon. Sometimes one find awesome loot on D:1, other times you find only... Death. :P

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 12th January 2012, 23:39

minmay wrote:
ebarrett wrote:1. High-tier wands don't spawn in very early levels anymore, though that could be still trunk only.

Disintegration isn't a high-tier wand.

Well I think the change sucks anyway so all the more power to Terence blowing newbies up.
Your warning level: [CLASSIFIED]

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 14:31

Hey guys, leave him alone. Out of depth stuff IS really frustrating, he's just venting. He'll learn that it's a normal thing in time.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 14:49

Eh, random vents don't really warrant a thread. Maybe there should be a simple unbridled "AAAARG" thread in crazy yiuf for one liner unsubtle venting. Then again, it'd probably have about a dozen "&^% you sigmund!"'s in it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 16:12

I don't see the problem with the complaint. The topic of the early game is a recurring issue in the game design subforum. It would be preferable to get rid of no-win situations entirely, but the tricky part is to get rid of them without wrecking anything else.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 13th January 2012, 16:28

why do you want to baby the game, roll a new character jesus christ. d1 and d2 splats are pretty often hilarious tbh.

what am I saying here?

grow a pair, stop taking yourself so seriously, etc

honestly a ridic corner-turning splat has happened to me FAR too few times to remember (maybe once or twice?) in over a thousand rolls of character spamming lol's

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th January 2012, 00:16

minmay wrote:It's almost certainly not actually an unavoidable death ("no-win situation"), that's the problem with the complaint.

I suppose that really depends on whether the OP spotted Terence at the edge of LOS, or if the OP rounded a blind corner and ended up suddenly in melee. That wasn't specified.

In any case, getting surprised by a D3 unique with a wand is pretty excusable as deaths go, even if it is potentially preventable. Those uniques don't usually have wands, and you're going to have to deal with some portion of them eventually, so taking that risk against a unique that is normally entirely trivial is an understandable misjudgment. Branding the OP as a "whiny newb" is unlikely to be useful for any productive purpose.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice