How does tab autokilling work?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th January 2012, 15:23

How does tab autokilling work?

I've seen a lot of people refer to just "tabbing" the first couple levels of the easy dungeon, or jokes about 'almost' tabbing the whole run...But tab doesn't do any sort of autofighting for me. Do you have to macro it to do something? I'm playing .91 with tiles on my computer, and it just says no unsafe monster in view if I use it without a monster, and unknown command if I use it near a monster.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 9th January 2012, 21:53

Re: How does tab autokilling work?

Tab is 'autofight the closest monster in view'. It sounds like the command is working correctly when dudes aren't around ('no unsafe monsters...'), but as to why you're getting 'unknown command' when dudes are around, I can't say. Have you changed the config file/controls at all from standard?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2012, 21:43

I haven't made any major changes, no...mostly just enabled easy eating of chunks so I don't have to confirm it for clean chunks...can't think of anything that would have affected tab.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2012, 08:01

Sorry to necro up my thread, but I finally figured out what it was - I had disabled VI keys in init. I don't think tab should be effected by this, but apparently tab translates into ctrl + I? And then I is disabled...I could be wrong but is there any way that disabled VI keys could be improved to not disable tab? For now, I've just enabled VI keys again.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
psch

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2012, 09:39

You should probably report this on the bug tracker, I don't think it's intended behaivor.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice