yredelemnul advice

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 17th January 2013, 13:54

yredelemnul advice

I don't usually take Yred as a god, so I don't yet have much experience with it, but I've got a decent DrAr going who adopted Yred at an early altar, and I'd like to know whether investing into Invocations makes a big difference for Yred.

Right now I've got 20 Polearms and am wielding a glaive, I've got ~15 Evocations and a rod of the swarm that has been very helpful, and I've got a between 0 and 5 levels of Spellcasting, Charms, Translocations, and Summoning. I have a book w/ Shadow Creatures and Summon Ugly Things that I'm hoping to get up and running, and I've got all the good basic charms (Haste hasn't spawned yet). I also have about 5 levels of Invocations, just enough to get Animate Dead / Recall Minions to low fail rates.

At this point, it seems like the only two reasons to improve Invocations would be Drain Life and Enslave Soul. Drain Life is at about 20% fail, and I've had to spam it on two occasions (once in Vault against a yaktaur / ogre mage swarm, once in Lair against a big wad of blink frogs and death yaks) when my minions were getting overwhelmed and running away would be tricky. When I did use that way, it took about 4-5 casts to wipe out the swarms of monsters. I tried using enslave soul on Harold (60% fail), and it said it worked, but I guess I killed him too slowly, because he didn't get enslaved.

Enslave Soul feels like a bit of a novelty, but I could imagine that Drain Life might scale up well with increased Invocations. So, experienced Yred-worshippers: is it worth it, or should I avoid putting anything more into Invocations?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th January 2013, 14:23

Re: yredelemnul advice

Increasing Invocations not only reduces the failure rate of drain life, but also increases the damage it deals and the maximum amount of HP it can restore. It's a very good tool in a three rune game.

Enslave Soul can net you a very powerful permanent ally if you pick the right target. Higher Invo gives you more time to get the kill.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice