Ogre Hunters, of whom?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 28th December 2011, 14:35

Ogre Hunters, of whom?

I've been having a bunch of fun playing as these guys. Chose it once randomly and im hooked. decent spell casting, high hp, and i can use giant spiked clubs. right now i have a game with Nemlex but my best game with one of these guys was with Okawaru but i got surrounded by a bunch of 2 headed ogres and trolls in Orc:4. Also i was hoping i would get gifted large rocks but i got darts for the most part. i had a game with trog but i found it boring, plus ive found amulets of rage in my other games where i diddnt play with trog, making him somewhat useless.

which god do you guys think would compliment Ogre Hunters?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 28th December 2011, 15:56

Re: Ogre Hunters, of whom?

Makhleb is a good choice for almost anyone, really; that HP for kills really goes a long way. Ash is also viable if you have some way of getting chunks (animate skeleton is wonderful here); his skill boost helps everyone, but especially characters with low apts. Okawaru and Trog are, of course, great options, although they only give large rocks in 0.10 Trunk. Ammo gifts are also somewhat irrelevant for Troll/Ogre hunters, since there will be far more large rocks in the dungeon than you can carry once you begin to meet Cyclopes/stone giants (they also have a very low mulch rate; +9 large rocks mulch about 1/100 throws). There are a lot of options, really; I'm primarily just listing my favorites. You don't really need any specific god bonuses, and there are many that can help.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 28th December 2011, 20:28

lerugray wrote: i had a game with trog but i found it boring, plus ive found amulets of rage in my other games where i diddnt play with trog, making him somewhat useless.

which god do you guys think would compliment Ogre Hunters?

Berserk isn't the only reason to worship Trog. Brothers in Arms, weapon gifts, and Trog's Hand are all useful. I would recommend Trog, I won OgHu of Trog on my first attempt.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 29th December 2011, 00:04

Blade wrote: Ash is also viable if you have some way of getting chunks (animate skeleton is wonderful here); his skill boost helps everyone, but especially characters with low apts.

im playing one with Ash now, i dont know what you mean by getting chunks though, though i did just find a spellbook with animate skeleton.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 29th December 2011, 00:20

You'll want to curse your giant spiked club of pointy death, meaning that you will need an alternative chunk-gathering method. Animate skeleton works great for that.

For this message the author Blade has received thanks:
lerugray

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 2nd January 2012, 13:44

I had a recent win with OgHu, started with Okawaru when I found temple, then switched to TSO later to try for more runes. The trick to Okawaru is to not take your throwing skill over 8, so he focuses on armour & weapon gifts instead of the dart flood he enjoys oh so much.
Xom sounds like he would get a sex change once every couple of weeks just for the hell of it. - ElectricAlbatross

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice