Advice for new player.

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 24th December 2011, 12:36

Advice for new player.

Hi.

For the first time I've feel like I've got an okay character going. It's a lvl 9 Minotaur Figther at D.7. My questions are:

1.) I just entered the temple, and I've got 4 spellbooks in my inventory. Looking up the gods in the wiki, I considered going Trog and burning the books for quick favour. However, from reading in here it seems that spells become quite necessary later on - Is Trog a bad idea? If not him, which other God?

2.) I am currently branding a +1/+6 War Axe of Freezing. Is this a good enough weapon to start using my enchantweap scrolls on? Or:

3.) I' m also carrying a +7/+7 Singing Sword. However my Long Blades skill is at 1 and my Axes skill is at 7. Should I consider swapping to the sword?

Hope you can help :)

ChokingPuppies.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th December 2011, 13:02

Re: Advice for new player.

However, from reading in here it seems that spells become quite necessary later on

Nonsense. Trog is one of the simplest and easiest MiFi gods, and one of the strongest for a three-rune game. I would say he is more friendly for new players than Okawaru.
A +1/+6 war axe of freezing is a good weapon for where you are, but save your enchant scrolls for a really good battleaxe or good executioner's axe. Trog will provide once you gain enough piety.

I also hope you took off the shield if you are using axes. You'll want to use a battleaxe soon. The weapon class is very strong due to its two-handers, but one-handed axes are medicre.

The war axe is better than the Singing Sword, not to mention the noise the thing makes and your skill in Axes. Stick with Axes. Turn Long Blades off.

Don't burn the books immediately; use them as "fire traps" by dropping them, letting a monster step on them, and then burning them. The flame cloud will stay on the square the monster is on for a good number of turns, dealing high amounts of damage.

Hope this helps, good luck. :)

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
rebthor

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 24th December 2011, 13:09

Didn't turn my shield off :( But will do now. Didn't think about the fire trap idea, ill save em then.

Thanks for the advice.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 26th December 2011, 05:35

cerebovssquire wrote:I also hope you took off the shield if you are using axes. You'll want to use a battleaxe soon.

Are you sure he shouldn't be using a +3 +1 flail of protection and a large shield? Otherwise scary monsters might damage him in scary melee.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 27th December 2011, 17:22

There is 1 decent one handed axe that I've been gifted twice now by Trog, the unrandart Mithril Axe. With its min delay and damage, it nearly matches the heavier two handed axes + you do get to use a shield.

I wouldn't hold out for it though.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 29th December 2011, 20:06

minmay wrote:Arga is actually worse than a good broad axe, and certainly far inferior to a good demon weapon or a decent battleaxe. Base damage 11 and 7 minimum delay is a pretty bad base type, and while the speed brand makes the delay better, it also lowers the damage further.

The benefit is the shield, if you want a shield that's the best 1 handed axe I know about. I varied between that and a demon whip of flaming that I picked up depending on if something was fire resistant.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 2nd January 2012, 11:13

It's not that uncommon to pick axes intending to go 2-handed but then find an awesome randart shield that is your only source of (insert useful resistance here.)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 2nd January 2012, 15:37

I picked axes once before finding an rF++ rElec buckler on like D:6. I didn't want to switch weapon type, though, so I ignored it and got an executioner's axe.

I forgot what my point was here, but it's a good story at least.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice