Grinder!

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2011, 14:52

Grinder!

My last few games if I've run into Grinder too early it was instant death. I remember him being able to paralyze, but he seems to do it nonstop now. Was something changed, or could it be that he spams the spell when he doesn't have a wand? The three times I've had problems with him he had not zapped me with anything at that point, and he usually burns through any wand he has available.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2011, 15:22

Re: Grinder!

Heh, as the wiki says "He lost the ability to feed on your mind in exchange for more paralysis!" Never played grinder in earlier versions, but it seems like what you're saying is right.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2011, 16:28

Yeah, he tends to spam paralysis on me too... If you have an amulet of stasis wear it. :P I can escape him most of the times though. Run to the nearest staircase and hopefully he might also blink away from you so you can escape easily.

I find early uniques with a Wand of Fire (the big one) totally unfair... I've lost many a mummy to that. :(
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2011, 18:29

In the same annoying level as wands are, I had two consecutive games where in D:1 or D:2 there was a goblin or a hobgoblin quaffing an invisibility potion...
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

For this message the author Roderic has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 25th November 2011, 03:17

Roderic wrote:In the same annoying level as wands are, I had two consecutive games where in D:1 or D:2 there was a goblin or a hobgoblin quaffing an invisibility potion...

It terrifies me whenever that happens on D:9. HOLY CRAP UNSEEN HORROR.

On another note, I rarely find Grinder a problem once I get Summon Small Mammals up to max spellpower. Same goes for Menkaure and most of the other early game threats. The only issue is Pikel, because his slaves have ludicrous AC, but he has no ranged attacks so he's easy enough to run away from.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 09:19

With Pikel I've found the best way of dealing with him is to Mephitic Cloud around him and the slaves like crazy then try to kill him before they get their senses back.

Either that, or just run.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 20th December 2011, 10:21

If you manage to stab him, or to get him in a corridor away from his slave, he isn't a problem. I rarely have to kill a slave.

+1 on mephitic/evaporate for all early unique except grinder and menkaure. (but a potion that can make fire cloud+evaporate...)

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 05:51

Grinder is a pain because you probably don't have MR that early in the game, and he gets off a perfect paralysis almost every time. Wand spam is a must. Menkaure is easy enough to run away from, but if he hastes himself, you better run... he hits as hard as an Ogre with much better accuracy. He's not difficult to kill, however; only 24 HP and 3/6 defenses.

I used to have this one trick for Pikel. I'm not sure if it was a bug, maybe it's gone now? I did it back in 0.8. Basically, enslave Pikel, and his slaves are freed. Then wait for the enslavement to wear off, and your slaves will bash Pikel like no other. Nothing like a good slave uprising to warm your heart.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 07:32

tormodpwns wrote:I used to have this one trick for Pikel. I'm not sure if it was a bug, maybe it's gone now? I did it back in 0.8. Basically, enslave Pikel, and his slaves are freed. Then wait for the enslavement to wear off, and your slaves will bash Pikel like no other. Nothing like a good slave uprising to warm your heart.

Bug or not, it adds flavor.

I always found weird that, except if Pikel have an uber weapon, he is weaker than any of if slaves, and their it is more than one slave...

Today I ran into grinder, actually going up in the dungeon (shafted twice...), I was about to die so I randomly ID my scrolls, hoping for tele or blink. I got holy word! :twisted:

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 13:50

Nope, not a bug for Pikel. It's my favorite tactic against him, and his low MR means that a sufficiently leveled Enchanter or a wand of enslavement will beat him every time. The trick is getting a clear line of sight, which can be tough on occasion since the slaves tend to shield him.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2011, 15:52

The real trick with Pikel is to remember that you're worshiping Okawaru, and that you should not attack him to break the charm and get the friendly slaves to attack him. Frigger gets me to stupid myself into Penance time and time again. >_<

Grinder's not too bad- the great thing is, at the depths he spawns he's often worth a double level up! ;)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice