Book of Annihilations: Exactly how {highlevel} is it?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 15th January 2011, 04:05

Book of Annihilations: Exactly how {highlevel} is it?

Right, so here I am, being all white draconian reaver-y (Going ice magic, of course), when I happen upon a book of Annihilations. I'm sure I won't be able to get my Ice Storm on for quite awhile, but I have no idea when that will be. Does anyone know what is required to be able to even read the book?

This is the second time I've had the book while actually being a spellcaster, and the first time made me very confused, because I was worshiping Vehumet at the time, and when he gifted me that book, I was able to read from it (Though I didn't because I would probably end up dieing before actually memorizing anything from it). However, when I later abandoned him for Okawaru after realizing that Vehumet wasn't even giving me books anymore after deciding that a book of Callings and Summonings was good enough his devoted follower, which I totally had no use for, I found that I could no longer try reading from the highlevel book. This didn't matter for long as that character died soon after, because Vehumet is also a big baby and decided to banish me to the abyss three times for leaving him, on top of a number of other demon summoning miscast effects, the third time I was caught totally off guard while sorting through food and other items in my temple stash and ended up starving to death because I had dropped all my food for just a few turns.

ANYWAYS, the only thing I could think of that Vehu was giving me that would've affected Annihilations was the reduced chance of miscasts.

Right now, this draconian has 3 in Spellcasting, 9 in Conjurations (I love magic dart, it never misses!), and 3 in Ice Magic. And he's level 10, 16 intelligence, if that matters. I hope to eventually learn Ice Storm, but I do not want to have to check on the book every few levels, nor do I wish to carry the thing around with me everywhere.

Are there any items that could I should look out for that could help me get to learn these earlier? Does the ring of Wizardry help with memorization or just casting spells? Should I just abandon spellcasting all together and stick with the physical combat I've always relied on so heavily, and stop pestering you nice people with questions and walls of text?

Also, on an unrelated note, did something happen recently that brought a huge boost to the activity of this forums members? Seems as if there are suddenly a lot more topics than there were a few days ago.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 15th January 2011, 04:23

Re: Book of Annihilations: Exactly how {highlevel} is it?

I believe it takes 6 spellcasting & 10 conjurations to read that book. The fastest way to get that would be to just turn off all your other skills & keep casting spells while you have exp in your pool to level your spellcasting. If you happen to worship Vehumet you can read it without the skills, because he gifts it. You are pretty close to being able to read it, but it takes quite a bit more skill than that to be able to cast the spells in it well. Wizardry can help you with memorizing as well as success rate. I haven't played reavers much so I don't really have any long-term advice, but I would keep your spellcasting as a ranged option, maybe branch into enchantments for buffs if you find the books for it. Happy Crawling!
Xom sounds like he would get a sex change once every couple of weeks just for the hell of it. - ElectricAlbatross

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice