Claws 3 v. Blade Hands

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2011, 01:46

Claws 3 v. Blade Hands

Started playing a troll transmuter. Kind of a shits and giggles thing. But I do have the option to use blade hands. The question is, do I want to? I don't really understand how unarmed damage is calculated, especially when you factor in claws 3. Thanks!

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2011, 02:27

Re: Claws 3 v. Blade Hands

Base damage with claws is 8, base damage with Blade Hands is 12, plus a bit extra from Dex/Str, if I recall correctly.

I'd say go ahead and use Blade Hands when you need to slap someone's shit hard.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2011, 02:39

+2 unarmed damage per level of claws. Blade hands adds 12 + str/4 + dex/4. If you can take the spellcasting hit, blade hands all the way

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2011, 03:13

Thanks guys! Just what I needed. :D

Here's hoping he lives long enough to put that spell to good use!

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 9th November 2011, 04:56

Megabass wrote:Base damage with claws is 8,

To be exact, it's actually 9. The formula is 3 (unmutated base UC damage) + 2*3 (2 for each level of Claws). Point still stands: Blade Hands is worth it, although it does only marginally more damage than when used by a Sludge Elf.

Still, though, TrTm is way more than just a joke combo; it's actually pretty damn good. Trolls' natural strength, augmented by the occasional Beastly Appendage, is enough to let you survive until you get all of your spells castable (not as difficult as you might think), at which point you have a unarmed powerhouse supported by a set of unbelievably useful spells. Spider Form lets you run from most enemies, Blade Hands helps you when you need something to die FAST, and Ice Form gives you immunity to both cold and poison as well as letting you swim and beat up Hydras. Go Okawaru for even more smashing power, Makhleb for some ranged attack and escape options, or even Cheibriados to help you cast spells (and a direct +7.5 boost to Blade Hands base damage isn't bad either).

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 10th November 2011, 02:49

ElectricAlbatross wrote: Point still stands: Blade Hands is worth it, although it does only marginally more damage than when used by a Sludge Elf.

Trolls have massive STR. In the mid game, 24 strength gives +6 damage on top of Blade Hand's +12, and Dexterity probably gives another +3. Thats 21 damage over a base of 9.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Zzz

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 10th November 2011, 03:43

wait a minute claws stack with blade hands / ice form?
Tab tab tab tab x2
you die... ...wait what?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 10th November 2011, 06:04

Yes to Ice Form (and Statue Form), no to Blade Hands.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 10th November 2011, 08:16

cerebovssquire wrote:Yes to Ice Form (and Statue Form), no to Blade Hands.

Claws do not stack with Ice Form. Your claws are replaced with "ice fists". This makes Ice Form essential to TrTm for killing hydras, because claws can slice off hydra heads and make them regenerate two more, like all non-flaming bladed weapons. (Claws do stack with Statue Form.)

tormodpwns wrote:
ElectricAlbatross wrote: Point still stands: Blade Hands is worth it, although it does only marginally more damage than when used by a Sludge Elf.

Trolls have massive STR. In the mid game, 24 strength gives +6 damage on top of Blade Hand's +12, and Dexterity probably gives another +3. Thats 21 damage over a base of 9.

I'm talking about differences between a troll using the spell and a sludge elf. A TrTm with 24 str and 10 dex will do 20.5 base damage with Blade Hands, whereas a SETm will do 18 with just his starting stats of 10 str and 14 dex. Since the full base damage is calculated by directly adding Unarmed Combat skill to those, the difference becomes relatively minor after you have a few UC levels.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice