Transmuter God selection

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 09:18

Transmuter God selection

I finally got a Merfolk Transmuter to get to the temple without dying, so now comes the question - who do I worship? I tried Che before, and while I like the stat boost the slowing down is just annoying. I'm mostly thinking of going with Okawaru for Might, Haste and hopefully some nice armor later on. What i'm worried is that I use up most corpses either as food or for potions, and I don't think there'll be much left to sacrifice.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 09:20

Re: Transmuter God selection

Makhleb is always a nice choice.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 10:02

Well yeah, but I already have two characters who are Makhleb followers and it's kind of boring to have a third one as well.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 12:38

Fedhas is nice with merfolk
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 16:07

You can always try Sif if you want to go for Ice/Enchantments to supplement the Transmutations.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 18:14

How about Kiku? He doesn't demand corpses, and necro magic is pretty melee-friendly too, would complement transmutations nicely.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 19:16

danr wrote:How about Kiku? He doesn't demand corpses, and necro magic is pretty melee-friendly too, would complement transmutations nicely.

I honestly don't care much for nercomancy. It just doesn't do it for me, I guess. As for Kiku...well sure he doesn't need corpses, but he doesn't really give me back all that much either. He gives ME corpses, which I don't really need, he protects me from nercomancy miscasts which I won't get, and at level **** he finally gives something useful such as torment protection (and then invoke torment at the last level). Necronomicon I don't want due to not liking nercomancy, and pain brand is kind of useless to an unarmed fighter.

So yeah. I'm not looking for an endgame god. If I even get to the end game some day I really doubt it'll be with a transmuter. I'm just looking for a god that's good at around the mid-level, which is as far as I usually get.

(And of course, I could always go with Sif, yeah.)

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 03:22

galehar wrote:Fedhas is nice with merfolk

Ordinarily yes, but Merfolk Transmuters have an annoying mechanic (at least in 7.1) wherein your "merfolk-with-a-tail" form overrides any other transformation you have active when you touch water, including Ice Form (even though it can swim by itself) and Blade Hands (even though it shouldn't conflict with your tail at all). This makes it harder to abuse Rain than you'd expect. Of course, you can still drown people with Evaporate.

I'd say Sif Muna is a safe and reliable choice. The Book of Changes is strong, but it offers very little beyond Evaporate and the unarmed damage boosts, so any self-buffs, ranged nukes, or utility spells you get will be very useful and aren't likely to be redundant with your starting spells. I don't like Okawaru on Merfolk casters very much because they should have the enchantment aptitude to cast Haste by themselves eventually.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 10:19

Sjohara wrote:

Ordinarily yes, but Merfolk Transmuters have an annoying mechanic (at least in 7.1) wherein your "merfolk-with-a-tail" form overrides any other transformation you have active when you touch water, including Ice Form (even though it can swim by itself) and Blade Hands (even though it shouldn't conflict with your tail at all).

Fixing this was one of my first contributions to the game :D
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 3
danr, gb, szanth

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 19:29

Sjohara wrote:

Ordinarily yes, but Merfolk Transmuters have an annoying mechanic (at least in 7.1) wherein your "merfolk-with-a-tail" form overrides any other transformation you have active when you touch water, including Ice Form (even though it can swim by itself) and Blade Hands (even though it shouldn't conflict with your tail at all). This makes it harder to abuse Rain than you'd expect. Of course, you can still drown people with Evaporate.

I'd say Sif Muna is a safe and reliable choice. The Book of Changes is strong, but it offers very little beyond Evaporate and the unarmed damage boosts, so any self-buffs, ranged nukes, or utility spells you get will be very useful and aren't likely to be redundant with your starting spells. I don't like Okawaru on Merfolk casters very much because they should have the enchantment aptitude to cast Haste by themselves eventually.

How do you drown someone with evaporate?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 19:43

szanth wrote:How do you drown someone with evaporate?

Drop a confusion cloud on them and wait for them to stumble into deep water. Painfully easy if you're using Rain in Shoals.

(Haven't done it myself, not having gotten a Tm of Fedhas that far, but the theory is sound.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 23:45

That is a classic move for anyone with mephitic cloud or evaporate. My favouraite is when you get that vault of centuars surrounded by deep water. Usually so dangerous but with this tactic, hilarious.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 00:07

Do you get the experience for the kill if they kill themselves?

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 01:28

Yeah you get the 'you feel more experienced' message. I don't know if it reduced or anything though.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 01:45

Waywinkle wrote:That is a classic move for anyone with mephitic cloud or evaporate. My favouraite is when you get that vault of centuars surrounded by deep water. Usually so dangerous but with this tactic, hilarious.

Personally, I think it's funnier when you drown thing in lava. :lol:

So far as I can tell, you get full experience from drowning. That is, my MfTm spamming evaporate never had the leveling problem my summoners did.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 15:35

Waywinkle wrote:That is a classic move for anyone with mephitic cloud or evaporate. My favouraite is when you get that vault of centuars surrounded by deep water. Usually so dangerous but with this tactic, hilarious.

Also great for gnoll fortresses, the bailey where you have two islands of orcs with returning weapons, that other bailey with a moat, Saint Roka and the boyz spawning in Swamp...the list goes on. And if you're running a merfolk, you don't even lose the loot.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice