Least-frequently won species?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2011, 22:57

Least-frequently won species?

The crawlwiki has an interesting little "Difficulty of play" chart on most species' pages, and an explanation of why they are rated as "Novice/Moderate/Master" etc. I am not sure how accurate it really is, as its clearly based off of the article writer's opinion. So I was wondering if there was anywhere to get some numbers on how frequently certain species splat vs others.

What species is hardest to win with?

mad

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 02:45

Re: Least-frequently won species?

The problem with that is newbies play the easiest races and so they end up with a low win percentage, while harder races have a higher win percentage because a larger percentage of people who play them are experts (I believe Centaurs may be the most popular species for win streaks?).

So I'm not sure it would contain any useful information - you might find that a fairly strong species (say, Kobold or Spriggan) has an abysmal winning percentage because of the number of bad players (I, myself, am definitely among them) who play them not because they can win with them but because they can reach level 10 with them.

o_O

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 16:49

Every species has its strength but generally mummies are considered the most difficult (unless you farm).

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 20:59

How in the fuuuuck are DD and Ce "easiest?" I always suck with them but also have never put much effort into them I guess but they both seem difficult

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 21:27

AtT wrote:How in the fuuuuck are DD and Ce "easiest?" I always suck with them but also have never put much effort into them I guess but they both seem difficult

Okay.
DD: Starts with a wand of healing (that alone is actually enough), decent melee apts, great defensive apts, good spellcasting apts, great HP and a way to cut down literally any damage.

Ce: Awesome HP, good UC, great speed, decent with shields (since you need lower skill than normal-sized races, bad at no spell school.
Comparing these to other races sometimes seen as easiest: MD, Mi, etc. have no special perks that compare to speed, damage shaving or a wand of healing. While they may be "simpler", e.g. by requiring less food management or can't just take as much damage as they like since they can just heal up normally afterwards, it's much easier to win Ce or DD reliably.
The wiki's species guides are nonsense anyway. Anything that claims that HO is much easier than Ce (it was even Expert before I changed it to Moderate, come on! it probably should be Novice, even though I wouldn't give it to an absolute beginner because of skill/food manegement) or Dg almost up there with Og and Mu with an Expert level (before I changed it) is nonsense.

Also, Yak species? When? Is this downloadable somewhere? :shock:

Note that Vp, DD, and Fe weren't present from the start, Op has never been in a stable release, online LO was only available in a branch, and Gn, GE, HD, OM, and El were all removed. Yak has never been won.

There's also stuff like MD being much easier in 0.5 from what I've heard.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 24th October 2011, 23:41

I'm curious as to what a Lava Orc was supposed to be (well, besides an orc that has something to do with lava).
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 00:19

TwilightPhoenix wrote:I'm curious as to what a Lava Orc was supposed to be (well, besides an orc that has something to do with lava).

https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... s:lava_orc

Basically, it's almost completely unlike an orc. You have a temperature gauge that can go up or down depending on tension, fire or cold damage taken, or types of magic used. At high temperatures, you get a Fire Tornado effect that lasts until everything nearby is dead, and high temperatures kick in whenever there's something nearby that you might want dead. Lava orcs can worship Beogh, but their damage aura will kill all their followers and there's not much they can do about it.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 00:56

Lava Orc sounds awesome are these actually going to be implemented fairly somehow? LOFE? I think, YES

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 01:38

Centaurs are very, very powerful, but their food clock is so annoying, that I never play them, they're just not fun for me. If I absolutely had to win crawl for some reason, they would probably be my number one choice of a race, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 07:19

minmay wrote:
cerebovssquire wrote:There's also stuff like MD being much easier in 0.5 from what I've heard.

Heavy armour was better in 0.5, but this was pretty much just as good for Ce and DD as it was for MD.

I'm not saying "so it made MD better than Ce or DD" but "so it increased the amount of MD wins". Even today loads of people are playing MDFi but I assume the number of those that actually win it has gone down.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 27th October 2011, 17:58

Well, MD had fled to another mountain, maybe in Northrend or to a nice hill near to Moria so I suspect the players will spread into other races, maybe orcs and minotaurs.

Aand, what is this thing of the playable Yaks ? :shock:
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice