Kenku

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 10:53

Kenku

I like to play with kenku's, however, they seem to me as a particulary weak race. I'm not a very god player, I have only won a few times, so I would like to ask more experienced players (or developers) opinion on the species.

They have good conjuration and air aptitude, yes, but they are still feels weaker for me than a deep elf as a conjurer/air elementalist. They have as few hp as the deep elf, and the fly ability does not seems to strong enough to compensate this. They have limited slots. Altough they have much better fighting aptitudes, but I feel that the hp change weakend them much more then other species - they were the only really fragile species that have good fighting aptitudes. (Except felids or octopodes of course - but they are so different.)

So: how you use them? Do you feel they are balanced? What is your favorite background/god combos with them? Any advice is welcome.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 17:31

Re: Kenku

not every race is supposed to have the same power level from what I've gathered.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2011, 20:16

And I think this is a good think. Altough kenku does not seem to be a challenge race - I have the secret feeling that they can be used effectively.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 02:33

I only ever play KeSu -- they're fine to me.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 07:21

Personally i think the fly ability is kind of strong, +20% EV (max +9) and a movement speed bonus if below 70% encumbrance.
When fly stacked with swiftness it was even stronger.

I have won 15 runes with both kenku and high elf, and with both playing quite similar there are a few differences.
spellcasting trains a lot slower, and you don't get as much int in level-ups -> higher hunger costs.
conjuration and air train faster though, meaning you get the medium gun spells (lightning bolt) online a lot faster.
the good fighting aptitudes make it easier to hybridize with weapons and armour, i went with m&f and a demon whip, for example.

all in all they very much fit my playing style, i like to have a strong melee character supported by spells, with a tad of offensive casting mixed in. they are fragile, though!
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 03:25

I would also like to know which gods are beneficial for Kenkus. So far I've had some good experiences with Okuwaru and Makhleb, but then again, currently I'm not a good enough player to make it past the early dungeons.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 03:52

Hosgeldzrouni wrote:I would also like to know which gods are beneficial for Kenkus. So far I've had some good experiences with Okuwaru and Makhleb, but then again, currently I'm not a good enough player to make it past the early dungeons.

I wouldn't melee on a Kenku. Maybe try some sort of caster and go with Sif or Veh or Kiku especially is a very solid choice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 10:34

Kenku/Tengu aren't deep elves! You have a full set of great weapon and UC apts, decent Fighting and the ability to gain very high SH/AC/EV even on a caster. This compensates for low HP; and with the Fighting apt you can raise your HP to levels where you aren't two lucky hits from death anymore.
They're the born "reaver" species; while Vehumet seems is a great choice on KeCj, AE and the like, Okawaru works just as well. Consider, also, that the Conjurer book has a spell selection that will clear a whole three-rune game easily, making Okawaru or other gods that offer an alternative route even more attractive.

If you're going Kiku you're best off with pain weapon melee anyway; the Necronomicon is rather underwhelming on most characters, compared to a fast pain weapon.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
sanka

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 11th December 2011, 17:01

sanka wrote:I like to play with kenku's, however, they seem to me as a particulary weak race. I'm not a very god player, I have only won a few times, so I would like to ask more experienced players (or developers) opinion on the species.

Kenku have difficult starts, but I wouldn't call them a weak race.

Think of the "power level" of a race as going along a curve. Some races have a power curve that starts off steep and then slows down in the midgame - trolls are an example of this, which are very strong early and very weak later.

Kenku are a bit of the opposite. They start off weak, but once they get flight (and permaflight) they become faster than most races, and you also get a _huge_ EV boost. The low HP can be offset by getting fighting skill, although you'll always be a bit frail. You get a good dodging and armour apt though, so you can train both and get good defenses that way.

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks:
sanka

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice