unsolvable labyrinth?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 23:42

unsolvable labyrinth?

So I found this labyrinth. I've always solved them without difficulty before, but this is my first labyrinth playing in 0.9, and it seems not to be working. I am currently wondering if the grinding sounds and creaking of gears indicate that a wall has moved, and access to the minotaur and the exit has now been blocked.

I have run the entire maze using the left hand rule; ran it again, using the right hand rule. I appear to be stuck on the west side of the map. It's all rock, except for (a) about 8 crystal walls tucked together in twos and threes in the middle of the map, and (b) a series of stone walls along the south east border of the area that is accessible to me. So I am suspecting that the remainder of the maze is in the east or southeast of the map; but there appears to be no way to get there.

So. Is my analysis correct, and a labyrinth that was generated as solvable (I am assuming they always generate as solvable) has shifted so that it is no longer solvable? If so, will it shift back, or will whatever other walls shift will be random, so that it might or might not become solvable again?

If there's some other aspect to this that I am missing, I'll be grateful for the wisdom of others.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2011, 00:10

Re: unsolvable labyrinth?

There is always a path to the exit (barring bugs), but the walls move. You can be on the right path, but have it blocked, and have a new, "correct" path that involves going back the way you came. The left hand and right hand rules are useless because of this.

I've had ones that seem unsolvable, and made it. If all else fails use a scroll of teleport. It will always put you farther away from the exit, but that could be on the other side of the map, with a less confusing path.

For this message the author Tiber has received thanks: 2
Mackerel, MyOtheHedgeFox

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2011, 00:17

If you're getting annoyed and you have digging/disintegration, use them in the rock section. Labyrinth mutations will keep new openings intact.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
Mackerel

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2011, 11:15

Thanks all. Somehow I had learned / read / assumed that walls in labyrinths were undiggable; but one shot with a wand of digging, on the rock wall immediately adjacent to the stone wall in question, immediately broke me through to the rest of the maze. A few minutes later: done.

Thanks again.

For this message the author Mackerel has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2011, 23:20

Earth elementalists can especially cheat at labyrinths for similar reasons. Not only can they dig the rock, but they can use LRD on stone or metal depending on power. Although its probably smart not to unless LRD is close to hungerless.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice