Reasons to love Fedhas

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 18:51

Reasons to love Fedhas

I have recently discovered that decay not only works for inert corpses but for animated ones (i.e, zombies). Yay!

Also as a Kobold hunter I can't eat fruit but it can be used to evolve plants maniacally, chiefly if you find a vault like this :evil: :evil: :evil: :

Code:
Found 3 strawberries.
Found 7 strawberries.
Found 2 strawberries.
Found 2 strawberries.

. ¦.......................¦¦¦%.¦
..¦...........¦¦..........¦¦.f¦¦
..............¦¦..........¦¦.%¦
.¦f.............b..........¦¦.¦¦
 ¦¦¦..............(........¦¦..¦
   ¦...........¦..........¦¦¦%.¦
   ¦f¦.¦¦¦¦..¦¦¦.<......... ¦..¦
   ¦¦¦..  ¦¦¦¦ ¦f..........¦¦.¦¦
     ...       ¦@..%...¦P.¦ ¦.¦¦
    ¦.b¦       ¦.P..P.%.¦  ¦¦..¦¦
    ¦¦..       ¦%....%%%¦P¦¦..¦.¦
      .        .%.P%..%.........f
               ¦..............¦¦.
               .P%..%.....(...f¦.
               ¦¦.%%....¦..(..¦¦¦
                 ....   ¦.....¦¦.
                 ¦      ¦.....¦¦¦
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 21:25

Re: Reasons to love Fedhas

To me, the funnest thing with Fedhas is completely owning branch ends, like Vault:8, Zot:5, Tomb:3, etc. Set up a Moat and then evolve a half-dozen oklobs or so and then shout your heart out! :lol:

Setting up mass chained chaos with Reproduction (the gas spore spell) is also super fun. If you have a super-strong ogre or troll you can actually throw corpses in order to set this up. Crazy as hell, but fun...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 21:49

I believe that Fedhas is good as far as power and flavour go. (I've seen someone wreck Zot:5 with plants.) However, an assessment by some good players would be nice to have. It is clear that Fedhas does not have the simple appeal of a god like Okawaru or Trog, and also a different audience. But I wonder why the plant friend gets so little gameplay. Is it that players hate to part with consumables? (It is a choice to spent half a dozen of your fruit to oklob assault a level.)

Anyway, the god is young, and feedback, especially of the comparing type, is welcome. I am currently running a DSAE^F, and I am having a blast. Used all powers bar Rain so far, down to five pears but two food shops. Wandering mushrooms saved my ass several times already.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2011, 22:39

I have an 18 ogre transmuter of Fedhas, I've hardly used the plant skills and I save all of my fruit for them. Maybe its bad luck, but after using his fruit consuming skills like 3 times total I have zero fruit.. hardly been able to use plant abilities at all due to that.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 01:19

Fedhas was amazing when I used her once, but my biggest problem with her was keeping piety. Evolving multiple mushroom men cost a LOT of piety.

Using sunlight to track down an Unseen Horror that was harrying me felt pretty awesome, though.
--Schwa, your local muse forever and long-time High Elf fangirl ^_~
(also the master of Quadri-Birds)

TheProvocateur: I like how we're sprinting at a pile of greater mummies

For this message the author SchwaWarrior has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th October 2011, 01:58

dpeg wrote:But I wonder why the plant friend gets so little gameplay. Is it that players hate to part with consumables? (It is a choice to spent half a dozen of your fruit to oklob assault a level.)

That's an interesting question. I've thought about it before, I think with fedhas it's a combination of two factors.

The first (and probably lesser of the two) is that because fedhas demands you pay fruit to use some of his abilities, you might be disinclined to take fedhas on a character that doesn't find any fruit before reaching temple (or a good altar). Or, another way to look at it is that the amount of fruit you find is really up to luck, so taking fedhas is a bit of a gamble in that sense. Ashenzari has similar issues, but you can at least pray over remove curse scrolls with that god (note that ashenzari is also fairly unpopular, though not nearly to the degree of fedhas).

This can go the other way though... a character who finds lots of fruit early might be encouraged to take fedhas. I once found about 100 sultanas on an early dungeon level, and wanted to go fedhas. The only reason I didn't is because the altar was on some stupid lava island, and I couldn't reach it :/

The second (and main) reason fedhas is unpopular is just because he is complicated (arguably the most complicated of all gods). Some of his abilities pretty weird, and take some learning to really learn how to use. They also complement a playstyle which tends not to be popular (the ranged weapon user). Finally, because some of fedhas' abilities use consumables, players aren't encouraged to experiment... this means they really don't get a good grasp on how to use fedhas, and there are no good "guides" out there.

I don't say this to be critical of fedhas, though. He could possibly use some improvements here and there to make him more enticing to players (although I can't say where exactly... my only real experience with fedhas is a couple of offline games, and no wins). Overall I think it's cool to have a god that is weird + complicated.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 10:18

I suspect the food reform, planned removal of the Hive, and any other moves to "tighten the food clock" will make Fedhas even less popular, as players will be more likely to get paranoid about nutrition and believe that every piece of permafood is precious.

It probably won't actually make Fedhas any less powerful, as most of the time you sacrifice fruit it will be very small things like sultanas that have almost no nutritional value, but players might think they have to save every last bit of food even if this isn't really the case.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 12:29

I am not really worried if players forego choices as long a they're viable. (Another one is Elyvilon who is powerful, unique and broad, yet still unpopular.)

evilmike: I was aware that greed (don't want to part with stuff) makes Fedhas less appealing to some players. Was not aware of the complexity issue.

I really like the god and don't think urgent changes are needed (unlike Zin used to be, say). If there are ideas for Fedhas improvement, I am all ears, of course. The fruit use will stay. I am a bit proud of how the god boosts a playing style in a very indirect way... We could need more gods with such a detached approach (for other playing styles).

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 13:05

They also complement a playstyle which tends not to be popular (the ranged weapon user).

Ranged weapon users depend on ammo gifts. Ammo mulching is pretty brutal, even with 5+ enchantments. Fedhas might be cool for them, but there are simply not enough ammo in the dungeon to support this play style (and even with gifts it's pretty rough). Hope this will be addressed at some point: ranged characters are pretty fun to play. Kind of a crude way of attacking it is to make Fedhas gift ammo and more ammo then, say, Oka or Trog, but whether it fits the flavour is very questionable.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 23:10

The second (and main) reason fedhas is unpopular is just because he is complicated (arguably the most complicated of all gods). Some of his abilities pretty weird, and take some learning to really learn how to use.

This is why I haven't used fedhas, the learning curve is high and the game is so hard as-is. It just feels like I'm punishing myself to pick Ash, Chei or Fedhas, although I'm glad they are all there for depth. I pretend that I'll appreciate them some day since they encourage alternate styles.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 00:46

dpeg wrote:I believe that Fedhas is good as far as power and flavour go. (I've seen someone wreck Zot:5 with plants.) However, an assessment by some good players would be nice to have. It is clear that Fedhas does not have the simple appeal of a god like Okawaru or Trog, and also a different audience. But I wonder why the plant friend gets so little gameplay. Is it that players hate to part with consumables? (It is a choice to spent half a dozen of your fruit to oklob assault a level.)

I know you specifically asked for good players, but I'll answer anyway. :lol:

Fedhas is a little intimidating because I have to sacrifice fruit to learn how to use F's powers, which means I can't "practice" unless I find fruit, and I fear that I won't find enough. It's neither greed nor complexity, it's the combination of moderately complex powers with knowing I won't be able to easily practice and develop skill.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 02:21

Just a thought:

A couple folks have said that one of the issues is that you don't get time to really practice with Fedhas's abilities. Seems to me that that's is the exact sort of thing Wizard mode is for. Drop yourself into the dungeon, plug in your Fedhas chip, generate a crapton of fruit, and go about your business.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

For this message the author Megabass has received thanks: 3
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya, TehDruid

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 02:29

Fedas is a goddamn pot-smokin treehuggin hippie! I don't worship no dirty hippies..

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 15:58

Megabass wrote:Just a thought:

A couple folks have said that one of the issues is that you don't get time to really practice with Fedhas's abilities. Seems to me that that's is the exact sort of thing Wizard mode is for. Drop yourself into the dungeon, plug in your Fedhas chip, generate a crapton of fruit, and go about your business.

I don't really like the idea of playing in wizmode, but I am trying to be more experimental in my deity choices. I have a Fedhas character going right now, but I haven't used the abilities much. Just got to *** piety.

I realized the other reason I avoid Fedhas - I habitually eat fruit first in the early game. Clean chunks are so common that I try to minimize my permafood use, so I always eat fruit because it's small. Then I show up at the temple with no fruit, and have the sense that fruit is rare. I should play a kobold Fedhas worshipper just to break my fruit eating habits! But I knew I had to start somewhere, so my current hobbit converted despite having eaten all the fruit earlier.

I've also tried some of the other gods I had neglected - Lughonu and Evylion. I liked Evy a lot, and will probably use Evy more in the future. Lughonu I'm not so sure about yet.

I got over my Ash phobia when someone recommended an Ash transmuter. I have also done Ash stalkers since then - it wasn't nearly as fussy as I feared, and I had a lot of fun with them.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 21:18

maybe the problem is like:

kenku / mermen are the few who can utilize rain without immediate problems
while fruit do actually mean something to them early (to save perma food when no clean chunks are available)
unlike kobolds - which require levitation or something similar to use rain safely while also having quite a steep mp cost...
halflings also seem decent due to their low food consumption...

grows fruit use seems to be pretty high - esp when you think about using even more fruit for summons...
so you set stuff up through rain - and in the end you take way too many turns

i don't see a immediate advantage in turning zombies into skeletons (besides piety gain) - tho decomposing ghul-types is nice :)

the AoE of sunthingy seems too small to me :s

most other gods have more immediate assistance,

my idea would to add more use to the mold spores create, so that they would give a passive movement speed bonus to fedhas followers and slow everything else not flying (maybe)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 21:26

dondy: Have you played the god seriously? Your posting does not look like it. It manages to not mention that Fedhas can set up oklobs. Four oklobs from nothing, that is four fruits, and should be enough to clear a level.
Rain is great against anyone not flying or amphibious. Yes, you need to use it in advance. It is a thinking wo/man's game.

I don't understand the bit about eating fruit early. Just don't if you have a potential Fedhas follower (conjurer/hunter playing style).

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
Roderic

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 21:42

dpeg wrote:dondy: Have you played the god seriously? Your posting does not look like it. It manages to not mention that Fedhas can set up oklobs. Four oklobs from nothing, that is four fruits, and should be enough to clear a level.
Rain is great against anyone not flying or amphibious. Yes, you need to use it in advance. It is a thinking wo/man's game.

I don't understand the bit about eating fruit early. Just don't if you have a potential Fedhas follower (conjurer/hunter playing style).

arguably, i didn't manage to get very far with fedhas sadly - i should've mentioned that it's mostly theorycrafting on why people don't like her (?) very much D:

the furthest i got was with my spen of fedhas and there i only used sunthingy and decompose - the fungi died very fast to anything so i didn't explore that option further :/

i thought oklobs needed a plant AND fruit to summon - additionally that rain would create plants by chance and i would only risk that as merfolk or kenku (which i fail at usually), this sounds very tedious (and like at least 3-4 turns)

--- EDIT

oh and about the fruit thing - they actually DO serve a purpose (to me?):
i eat them to delay starvation while looking for chunks, so i can save rations - instead of eating a ration and having a potential chunk rot D:

i would love to explore fedhas more, but so far i usually fail too hard to get any depth on that god myself :/

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 03:51

Well drat - I just lost my Fedhas follower because I misunderstood and thought I could move freely through mushroom spores the way I could move through plants. It exploded and killed me. Admittedly that was just the death blow - I had taken damage from other sources first.

Ah well, live and learn, I will try again!

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 15:53

Tried again, with an ice elementalist high elf.

In the previous game, the issue with the mushroom spore was that I was too close to an enemy. (I was running for my life at that point.)

At low levels, wandering mushrooms made robust and convenient little allies. They're rugged, they keep up, they follow you up and down stairs. It seems like I can't order them into combat, and that they only attack when something attacks them. This isn't actually bad; it means you can keep company with them without a steady XP loss, but they are there when you need them. (I didn't check the code or anything, that's just my impression from playing.)

Then I experimented to see what would happen if I zapped an un-ID'd wand through one, and ended up under penance. My fault for being dumb.

If I keep going, I'll move this to a different thread.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 11:22

On the other hand, oklobs spit acid to whoever you point, inmediately.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 22:03

Lol you encouraged me to give Fedhas a go so here it is:

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9.1 character file.

Waldo the Basher (Ogre Artificer)                  Turns: 23354, Time: 01:17:34

HP 106/106       AC  7     Str 18      XL: 11   Next: 78%
MP  27/27        EV 12     Int 11      God: Fedhas [***...]
Gold 545         SH  0     Dex 13      Spells:  2 memorised, 26 levels left

Res.Fire  : + . .   See Invis. : +    T - +4,+2 whip (elec)
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : . .  V - +2 orc robe {rF+}
Life Prot.: + . .   Conserve   : .    (shield restricted)
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    (helmet restricted)
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    K - +1 cloak {rPois}
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    (gloves unavailable)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    (boots unavailable)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    E - cursed amulet of rage
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    y - ring of see invisible
Saprovore : + . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    e - cursed ring of life protection

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, fast metabolism 1, saprovore 1, tough skin 1
a: Evolution, Sunlight, Growth, Renounce Religion, Evoke Berserk Rage

You are on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Fedhas.
Fedhas is greatly pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 14 of its levels.
You have visited 1 portal chamber: ossuary.

You have collected 592 gold pieces.
You have spent 67 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 c - a +1,+4 orcish spear of returning (quivered)
 m - an uncursed orcish spear of returning
 n - an uncursed orcish spear of returning
 v - a +0 orcish blowgun
 O - a +1,+4 orcish spear of returning
 T - a +4,+2 whip of electrocution (weapon)
Missiles
 A - 12 poisoned needles
 W - 9 poisoned needles
Armour
 G - a +0 elven cloak of preservation
 K - a +1 cloak of poison resistance (worn)
 N - a steam dragon hide
 V - a +2 orcish robe of fire resistance (worn)
Magical devices
 u - a wand of paralysis
 x - a jewelled gold wand
 z - a wand of enslavement {zapped: 1}
 D - a fluorescent wand {zapped: 2} {tried}
 H - a wand of paralysis (6)
 Z - a wand of slowing {zapped: 1}
Comestibles
 a - 3 apples
 d - 2 meat rations
 f - 5 bread rations
 j - 6 chokos
 k - 10 honeycombs
Scrolls
 g - a scroll of random uselessness
 l - 4 scrolls of recharging
 q - a scroll labeled CHEACA TWUROU
 t - 10 scrolls of identify
 w - 5 scrolls of remove curse
 F - a scroll labeled CLAABI TETACEG
 M - 2 scrolls of detect curse
 P - 2 scrolls of amnesia
 U - 2 scrolls of noise
 X - 2 scrolls of teleportation
Jewellery
 e - a cursed ring of life protection (left hand)
 p - a ring of sustain abilities
 y - a ring of see invisible (right hand)
 E - a cursed amulet of rage (around neck)
 R - an uncursed ring of sustain abilities
Potions
 h - 3 potions of heal wounds
 i - a murky white potion
 o - a gluggy white potion
 r - a gluggy green potion
 s - a glowing white potion
 B - a potion of levitation
 I - 2 potions of healing
 S - a potion of restore abilities
Books
 C - a book of Conjurations   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   *Magic Dart                        Conjuration                  1
   Throw Frost                        Conjuration/Ice              2
   *Mephitic Cloud                    Conjuration/Poison/Air       3
   Lightning Bolt                     Conjuration/Air              5
   Bolt of Cold                       Conjuration/Ice              6
   Freezing Cloud                     Conjuration/Ice/Air          6
 Q - a book of Enchantments   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   Tukima's Dance                     Hexes                        3
   See Invisible                      Charms                       4
   Cause Fear                         Hexes                        5
   Silence                            Hexes/Air                    5
   Deflect Missiles                   Charms/Air                   6
   Haste                              Charms                       6
Magical staves
 b - a cursed +0 rod of striking (8/8)

Skills:
 - Level 8 Fighting
 - Level 10 Maces & Flails
 - Level 2 Staves
 - Level 5 Throwing
 - Level 6 Dodging
 - Level 1 Stealth
 - Level 1 Stabbing
 - Level 2 Traps & Doors
 - Level 10 Spellcasting
 * Level 4 Conjurations
 - Level 1 Invocations
 - Level 5 Evocations

You have 26 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Magic Dart            Conj           ###..        Excellent   1    None
b - Mephitic Cloud        Pois/Air/Conj  ##........   Good        3    Choko

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (12/27)            Temple (1/1) D:6             Orc (0/4) D:7
   Lair (1/8) D:12       
  Hive: D:11-16     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin

Shops:
D:5: [  D:10: %

Portals:
Ziggurat: D:7 (5710 gp)

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are too large for most types of armour.
You have a fast metabolism.
You can tolerate rotten meat.
You have tough skin (AC +1).

Message History

You see here a ring mail.
x - a jewelled gold wand
You walk carefully through the plants.
You walk carefully through the fungus.
A green rat comes into view.
You hit the green rat. There is a sudden explosion of sparks!
You kill the green rat!
No unsafe monster in view!
No unsafe monster in view!
You see here a green rat corpse.
You offer a prayer to Fedhas.
A toadstool grows from a nearby corpse.
Fedhas appreciates your contribution to the ecosystem.
Fedhas is greatly pleased with you.
Key pressed, stopping explore.
You walk carefully through the plants.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.

#..##........
          ######...........
          #.f.##...........
          ##..#.#..........
         ##..#.............
        ##...#.............
        #.#................
       ###.#..%............
    ####..@................
    #P#...................#
    #......................
   ####....................
   #..##...................
 ###f#.....................
##.........................
#<.#...................#...
###<#...................#..

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  An unseen horror (D:11)
  2 hill giants
  Pikel (D:6)
  An elephant slug (Lair:1)
  A basilisk (Lair:1)
  A hill giant zombie (D:7)
  A spiny frog (Lair:1)
  A queen bee (D:10)
  2 giant toads (Lair:1)
  The ghost of Waldo the Skirmisher, an average OgDK of Yredelemnul (D:4)
  5 yaks (D:11)
  3 hungry ghosts
  2 hippogriffs
  A steam dragon (D:11)
  2 wraiths
  A manticore (D:12)
  A small abomination (D:11)
  A necrophage (D:6)
  An ice beast (D:12)
  5 ogres
  5 orc warriors
  3 slaves
  2 sky beasts
  2 centaurs
  A crocodile (Lair:1)
  A basilisk zombie (D:7)
  5 giant frogs
  A water moccasin (D:6)
  An agate snail (Lair:1)
  3 wights (D:9)
  22 killer bees (D:10)
  7 ogre zombies (D:7)
  7 imps
  5 hounds
  A shadow (D:11)
  8 worker ants
  Crazy Yiuf (D:4)
  4 orc priests
  2 iguanas
  6 orc wizards
  A hound skeleton (D:11)
  3 jellies
  2 porcupines (Lair:1)
  3 scorpions
  A sheep (D:12)
  3 mummies
  10 green rats (Lair:1)
  7 snakes
  2 giant mites
  4 worms
  2 snake skeletons
  7 giant geckos
  A giant mite zombie (D:6)
  46 orcs
  9 giant cockroaches
  14 hobgoblins
  16 kobolds
  An ooze (D:5)
  4 quokkas (D:5)
  22 bats
  A giant gecko skeleton (D:4)
  14 giant newts
  15 goblins
  2 goblin zombies (D:7)
  A hobgoblin skeleton (D:7)
  2 hobgoblin zombies (D:7)
  8 jackals
  A jackal zombie (D:8)
  4 orc skeletons (D:7)
  14 orc zombies (D:7)
  A quokka skeleton (D:6)
  A quokka zombie (D:7)
  24 rats
  2 fungi (D:2)
369 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  An oklob plant (Lair:1)
  Joseph (D:11)
  A yak (D:8)
  A mottled dragon (D:12)
  A sky beast (D:8)
  An orc (D:8)
  A kobold (D:8)
7 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  An oklob plant (D:12)
  A human (D:4)
  A snake (D:10)
  2 orcs
  A hobgoblin (D:6)
  A giant newt (D:10)
  A goblin (D:3)
  A goblin zombie (D:7)
  2 killer bee larvae (D:10)
  A kobold (D:9)
  2 orc skeletons
  An orc zombie (D:8)
  A rat (D:6)
  A wandering mushroom (D:8)
  71 toadstools
88 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 464 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Waldo, the Ogre Artificer, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 20/20 MP: 1/1
   321 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Stealth
   321 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 28/28 MP: 2/2
   777 | D:1      | Reached skill level 4 in Evocations
  1089 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 35/35 MP: 3/3
  1827 | D:2      | Noticed Crazy Yiuf
  1852 | D:2      | Paralysed by Crazy Yiuf for 7 turns
  2068 | D:2      | Noticed Sigmund
  2093 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Maces & Flails
  2093 | D:1      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 17/44 MP: 4/4
  3305 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Staves
  3305 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 15/50 MP: 5/5
  4097 | D:3      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  4755 | D:4      | Noticed Waldo's ghost (average OgDK)
  5445 | D:4      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  6453 | D:4      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 47/59 MP: 6/6
  7002 | D:4      | Defeated Waldo's ghost
  7002 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Throwing
  7002 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Evocations
  7205 | D:4      | Defeated Crazy Yiuf
  7205 | D:4      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 67/67 MP: 7/7
  7475 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  8025 | D:5      | Found Pyreiph's Antique Armour Shop.
  8031 | D:5      | Bought an embroidered elven cloak for 31 gold pieces
  8036 | D:5      | Identified a +0 elven cloak of preservation (You bought it in a shop on level 5 of the Dungeon)
  8351 | D:5      | Found a sand-covered staircase.
  8402 | ossuary  | Entered a tomb
  8739 | D:5      | Noticed Beju's ghost (average TrBe)
  9673 | D:5      | Reached skill level 1 in Stabbing
  9673 | D:5      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 64/76 MP: 8/8
  9966 | D:5      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
 10165 | D:5      | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
 10612 | D:6      | Noticed Pikel
 10888 | D:5      | Reached skill level 1 in Spellcasting
 11172 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
 11762 | D:6      | Reached skill level 5 in Maces & Flails
 12054 | D:6      | Defeated Pikel
 12054 | D:6      | Reached skill level 6 in Fighting
 12054 | D:6      | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
 12054 | D:6      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 83/85 MP: 11/11
 12462 | D:6      | Reached skill level 7 in Maces & Flails
 12518 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
 12636 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Fedhas Madash
 12948 | D:7      | Found a gateway to a ziggurat.
 12983 | D:7      | Noticed a wraith
 13076 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 13111 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 13176 | D:7      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 13176 | D:7      | Noticed a hill giant zombie
 13741 | D:7      | Defeated a wraith
 13741 | D:7      | Reached skill level 8 in Maces & Flails
 14050 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 14050 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 14069 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 14120 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 14120 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 14151 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 14169 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 14210 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 14382 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 14461 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 14548 | D:7      | Noticed an ogre zombie
 14558 | D:7      | Defeated an ogre zombie
 14818 | D:7      | Defeated a hill giant zombie
 14967 | D:7      | Reached skill level 9 in Maces & Flails
 15123 | D:8      | Acquired Fedhas's first power
 15253 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Throwing
 15253 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 93/95 MP: 12/12
 15348 | D:8      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
 15689 | D:8      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 16774 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 16963 | D:10     | Reached skill level 10 in Maces & Flails
 17254 | D:10     | Found Womani's Food Shoppe.
 17328 | D:10     | Bought an apple for 8 gold pieces
 17328 | D:10     | Bought a choko for 4 gold pieces
 18409 | D:11     | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
 18528 | D:10     | Learned a level 1 spell: Magic Dart
 18843 | D:10     | Noticed a queen bee
 18889 | D:10     | Defeated a queen bee
 19519 | D:10     | Acquired Fedhas's second power
 19548 | D:10     | Reached skill level 1 in Invocations
 19594 | D:10     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 87/105 MP: 21/24
 21203 | D:11     | Reached skill level 1 in Conjurations
 21206 | D:11     | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
 21362 | D:11     | Learned a level 3 spell: Mephitic Cloud
 21537 | D:11     | Noticed Joseph
 21608 | D:11     | Defeated Joseph
 21682 | D:11     | Noticed Erolcha
 22031 | D:12     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 22066 | D:12     | Noticed an agate snail
 22077 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 22974 | Lair:1   | Acquired Fedhas's third power

Interesting build really. Just kind of went with whatever I had. I don't know how useful Fedhas has actually been though, saved me a few times, but my amulet of rage did much more, as did my meph clouds. I feel like what Fedhas can do other gods can do better, but then again I'm only at *** piety. I have to say though his sunlight thing has great synergy with the inaccuracy of Ogres. Oklob plants helped me out a bit I suppose

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 15th October 2011, 03:02

Jeremiah wrote:I suspect the food reform, planned removal of the Hive, and any other moves to "tighten the food clock" will make Fedhas even less popular, as players will be more likely to get paranoid about nutrition and believe that every piece of permafood is precious.

What food clock revolution is this? It will destroy Centaurs and Ogres.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 15th October 2011, 16:28

tormodpwns wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:I suspect the food reform, planned removal of the Hive, and any other moves to "tighten the food clock" will make Fedhas even less popular, as players will be more likely to get paranoid about nutrition and believe that every piece of permafood is precious.

What food clock revolution is this? It will destroy Centaurs and Ogres.

Basically changed it so where you had to be more hungry to eat worse foods. Normal characters needing to be V. Hungry before eating brown chunks, and each level of herbivore moving that one notch farther. But no worries, it got reverted, partially because it was such a pain for Centaurs, and partially because it was altering how they wanted folks to play the nutrition minigame.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2011, 11:21

What about a new artifact? Eringya's seeds bag

It allows the evoker to place a limited number of plants/trees (one per evocation), which in turn produces a certain number of fruits (oranges, lychees, strawberries...) which are produced regularly at the adjacent tile of the plant/tree after a certain number of turns.

This is helpful for every build to get a limited source for permafood and place an instantaneous obstacle, and for Fedhas worshippers particularly because they benefit of having fruit and plants to use in levels where they are scarce.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 17:07

or generate more fruit in the dungeon
or make fedhas gift fruit by chance

i really enjoyed a NaEE of fedhas for a while - but in the end i ran into heavy MP problems, until i found a staff of channeling, where i ran into the problem of having to train Evo without a decent source of Exp (continuing further down in all branches/dungeon resulted in enemies/uniques i simply couldn't handle with my limited mana pool)

overall i liked the synergy of EEs and fedhas - tho i'm not sure about a few points:
does sun-thingy's increased chance to hit apply to spells too?
do skeletons suffer more damage from LRD than zombies?
are oklobs really worth it? (they saved my life a few times, but they also ruined some promising items and cost a ton of time/piety to setup with rain/evolve)
i'll have to try more on reproduction/evolving bally-smthgs, it seems promising as it would be a source of crowd control (which EEs lack) - though i'm worried if it'd target me too...
and grow seems way too expensive to use - even with saving/buying ALL fruit i could find it simply seems way more reasonable to spam rain instead... though a fortress of plants could have nice potential - it's simply too expensive
also mushroom-doods get weak too soon if you don't heavily train invocations (it might also just be naga's aptitude for it...)

i didn't really get far tho - XL17 was where i hit the wall :/

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 20:39

Skeletons suffer and explode but zombies hardly take any damage at all.

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 20th October 2011, 16:49

As you can guess from my forum name, I kind of have a thing for druids. One would assume I'd only play Fedhas or something. However, I hadn't tried Fedhas till yesterday. I have to warn you, I hesitated to use the Flood/Drought randomly as well as Reproduction (especially this one because I was afraid I may die in a chain explosion or something) abilities, but I did use growth-evolution a lot. Oh, by the way, I don't think of myself as a particularly good Crawl player, but here's my two cents of what I've seen so far...

Clearing Orc 4 with 4 oklob plants by slowly taunting monsters to my little grove I had set up there was really cool and definitely different than anything I've done before. Also, setting 2 more oklob plants in Lair:8 to help with a hydra situation and then luring Dire elephants nearby. The game became quite a bit of a Tower-Defense game with this god, I have to admit. And I liked it.

You can make wandering mushrooms by evolving different kinds of immovable fungi, which are a real force early on. They can confuse monsters into killing each other and they are very decent meat (or fungal) shields. Apparently you lose a bit of piety when they die but it doesn't appear to be anything worth worrying about.

You can use evolution on the red-ish mushrooms (something-mycytae) to make them hyperactive, and they start spouting white fumes in a 2 square radius (if i'm right) that deals good damage and can confuse monsters, heck I almost died by that. Only drawback is that they appear to "die" because of this "doping" after a while but new ones grow nearby and you can re-evolve them if you need to (at least that's what happened on my case).

The ability to walk through plants can be a huge life saver (especially growth + making your escape through plants while a monster tries to beat em down).

The way it seems to me, since there's not an insane amount of fruit available in the game (unless you get super lucky with many food shops selling sultanas only :P ), you have to pick where you want to spend it carefully. I obviously can't talk about the power of the god later on in the game since I haven't been there (yet), but don't forget, the relationship with your god is merely an extension of your character (unless your skills are like all 0 except Invocations, I guess?) so you shouldn't expect to have lots of Oklobs to serve you everywhere. They're a nice addition to your killing power, but you also have to be able to stand your ground, as always. My advice is: Plan out where you want to place them. Maybe even make some levels with a wide open area near a certain staircase into Oklob groves and stair-dance the shit out of difficult monsters (blink or even better controlled blink for when you arrive at the Oklob staircase is pretty much awesome so that you get out of your plants' line of fire). Also, while the god surely fits the bill for ranged attackers, I can positively say you should not be fragile though. Some times you 'll have to tank so the monsters don't destroy your precious flora. The background I see more fit to the role of Fedhas worshiper are Earth Elementalists (altering the dungeon layout even more than adding/removing water, to make room for Oklob death trap rooms), which pretty much goes nicely together thematically too.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2011, 19:19

I have now played a whole slew of Fedhas worshippers, and the one thing I have learned without a doubt is how unskilled I am at dealing with certain early game situations.

The most awesome moment: stumbling across Mekaure (sp?) as a low level kobold enchanter, with a couple of wandering shrooms in tow. I immediately turned tail and fled, but I was pretty worried, as I was not very near a staircase. But before I ran terribly far, I received that lovely message: "You feel a little more experienced." Go shrooms! I did not understand at the time, since they didn't seem so buff against other enemies, but later I realized that they are immune to pain/torment/etc. I don't know if they are considered mindless, or if it's just that their minds and nervous systems are too different.

The most painful moment: I wanted to experiment with Fedhas as a god for a caster. I started as a kenku fire elementalist, passed up an altar to Sif Muna on DL2 with significant reluctance but I was intent on trying something different, and was happy to find an altar to Fedhas on DL3.

To make a long story short, I had no luck amassing early piety, even though I truly did try to stick to low level spells as much as possible. I had stellar luck with early spellbooks, but nonetheless I died on DL10 with only one * of piety to my name, to a situation which I could easily have survived with Sif's channelling ability. (I had no safe place of retreat, as I had been forced to descend to avoid an OOD monster, and then I met a centaur + Psyche. I needed only a bit more mana - or for that matter, the ability to raise the dead centaur skeleton, having passed by animate skeleton as a Fedhas worshipper.)

Mostly though, I really tried (and tried, and tried, and tried) to make hobbit warpers and crusaders work. I can kill these guys all day long, and no matter what approach I take, I end up outclassed. The one good thing is that the ghosts aren't much threat - except to other hobbit warpers and crusaders! The only time they showed even the faintest glimmer of promise was if they found an early sling. By early, I mean DL3. If so, they could scramble on a little longer. If not, they died that slow miserable death that comes from just being generally outclassed. Fruit was never an issue - I didn't live long enough for fruit supplies to matter.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 18:20

In the spirit of the thread title I attached my reason to love Fedhas. Lair is trivialized!
Attachments
oklob_console.PNG
oklob_console.PNG (98.75 KiB) Viewed 11661 times

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 04:26

evilmike wrote:
dpeg wrote:But I wonder why the plant friend gets so little gameplay. Is it that players hate to part with consumables? (It is a choice to spent half a dozen of your fruit to oklob assault a level.)

That's an interesting question. I've thought about it before, I think with fedhas it's a combination of two factors.

The first (and probably lesser of the two) is that because fedhas demands you pay fruit to use some of his abilities, you might be disinclined to take fedhas on a character that doesn't find any fruit before reaching temple (or a good altar). Or, another way to look at it is that the amount of fruit you find is really up to luck, so taking fedhas is a bit of a gamble in that sense. Ashenzari has similar issues, but you can at least pray over remove curse scrolls with that god (note that ashenzari is also fairly unpopular, though not nearly to the degree of fedhas).

This can go the other way though... a character who finds lots of fruit early might be encouraged to take fedhas. I once found about 100 sultanas on an early dungeon level, and wanted to go fedhas. The only reason I didn't is because the altar was on some stupid lava island, and I couldn't reach it :/

The second (and main) reason fedhas is unpopular is just because he is complicated (arguably the most complicated of all gods). Some of his abilities pretty weird, and take some learning to really learn how to use. They also complement a playstyle which tends not to be popular (the ranged weapon user). Finally, because some of fedhas' abilities use consumables, players aren't encouraged to experiment... this means they really don't get a good grasp on how to use fedhas, and there are no good "guides" out there.

I don't say this to be critical of fedhas, though. He could possibly use some improvements here and there to make him more enticing to players (although I can't say where exactly... my only real experience with fedhas is a couple of offline games, and no wins). Overall I think it's cool to have a god that is weird + complicated.

Overall, I think the Fedhas is pretty good but I think you hit one of the two main problems (along with a few minor problems) with the god right on, and thats the random availability of fruit. Back to that in a second.

The "theme" of the god is sort of like he's a floating fortress god. In the beginning, you get a big pack of mushrooms to follow you around everywhere, and then you retreat into them whenever you see a tough enemy and pelt them from within your fortress with ranged attacks. So this is pretty good. Later on, your abilities "evolve" to using reproduction, which is sort of like corpse explosion from Diablo 2, and can lead to some really crazy times, and then later to setting up "super bases" filled with water and tons of deadly oklobs.

It is seriously such a gamble. There is no other god - and to me, Ashenzari does not even come *close* - that is so drastically dependent on the items you find in the dungeon to work. Simply finding a food shop with a few sets of sultanas is like finding the hat of the alchemist, the shield of resistance, and the fencer's gloves in a single antique armour shop, as its enough to give you an oklob base on any floor you feel queasy about. On the otherhand, not finding any of the rare the "little" fruits at all (grapes/strawberries/sultanas) can leave you really underpowered. I've won with Fedhas twice, once like maybe 3 years ago in the first situation, and the second a few weeks ago, when I was trying to streak all the "bad" gods (splatted in the abyss on my 5th one with Yred, ugh) with a MuHu that had to deal with the 2nd situation. In that game, I only had enough fruit for a base on Vault:8 and on Zot:5. Since the piety liability of mushrooms starts to become a bit much to deal with around midgame, and due to the problems with reproduction, I basically had to deal with being mostly godless after that.

The other big problem with Fedhas is Reproduction. Now, Reproduction is awesome on its own. It does good damage and can let you set up massive chain reactions when dealing with big bands of creatures. I absolutely love using it, although it is sometimes frustrating that gas spores are prevented from being created if an enemy is standing on the corpse. (Why is this? Shouldn't they just appear on the next available square, like newly created zombies, or explode immediately?). However, even though it costs no piety on its own, it uses up an absurd amount of piety. I'm not sure if this is because of a bug or what, but you take a piety hit every time a ballisto dies. Now, since the spore explosion creates a bunch of ballistos, and you might chain this together a couple of times and further create a hyperactive ballisto with evolution, you could have tons of ballistos on your hands. Furthermore, the explosions themselves also destroy ballistos as well as creating new ones. So if you use this ability a few times on one level, like say when dealing with Orc:4, you could end up dropping from ***** to ** quite easily without even clearing half the level. This is ridiculously expensive considering that reproduction is so situational (especially since my corpse launching idea from a couple years back got nixed :cry: :P ) and how much of a long, slow process it is to build up Fedhas piety.

Apart from that, there are some minor issues. First of all, sunshine is kinda lame. I mean, its ok, but I never bothered with it much. It would be cooler (and more useful / worth using) if it had a greater chance of creating plants. Growth is kinda dumb since it takes a ton of fruit to use (9 fruit for a full ring) when that is hardly even useful. I mean, 9 fruit for a full Tomb of Doroklohe would be expensive, much less one that bolts and beams and clouds can still hit you in. And worse, if you only want to create a partial ring the plant locations are random every time. So you have to invoke several times in a row to get the configuration you want if you'd rather use it to set up a base with oklobs located in strategic spots.

The fact that Fedhas is essentially useless in the extended end-game does not bother me much, however.

Anyways, I think that Fedhas is a cool god, I just think he needs some attention and tweaking!
Last edited by GermanJoey on Friday, 4th November 2011, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 07:55

You went Fedhas on a MuHu? Was his hate of Vp/Mu/Gh because they're "unnatural" recently changed?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 08:21

GermanJoey: Have you considered blowing an ?acquirement on food? With Fedhas, you get fruits.
Good point on the second observation.
Thanks for report!

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
joellercoaster, MyOtheHedgeFox

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 08:27

dpeg wrote:GermanJoey: Have you considered blowing an ?acquirement on food? With Fedhas, you get fruits.
Good point on the second observation.
Thanks for report!

No, I did not know that, but it was a moot point that game since I never found an acquirement scroll anyways. :(

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 08:28

i think the fruit mechanic for growth/evolution works well. it makes the early appeal of the god dependent on item drops, but that part is alright. there has to be a limit on how many oklobs you can spawn, because of how strong they are, and piety is renewable (you just kill stuff and pray, so it may even be a net gain). at high piety fedhas even protects them from harm.

i've never used reproduction much, so i cannot comment on it. the piety drop from having wandering mushrooms die is not a problem, but there might be one if you use reproduction a lot. bears investigation.

that said, i've only won one fedhas game (which was a lot of fun).

GermanJoey: Have you considered blowing an ?acquirement on food? With Fedhas, you get fruits.

i got 11 bananas from one lying in the orb vault after a bad teleport. :D
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 08:30

cerebovssquire wrote:You went Fedhas on a MuHu? Was his hate of Vp/Mu/Gh because they're "unnatural" recently changed?

Woops, I meant a MfHu. Mf are quite good for fedhas because of the natural synergy with rain and decent invocations score. (along with reaching-branded polearms and good throwing skill)

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 09:27

i got a SEEE of Fedhas to XL27, so looking back (taking the risk of repeating myself and others):

growth is the biggest problem (fruit cost is WAY too high), the next is getting plants in a plantless enviroment without it.

sun-thingy could have a bigger radius and/or a better chance to grow plants since rain can be quite dangerous/tedious to use for most chars besides Ke/Mf. using both takes alot of turns/mp/food (and is tedious) so it's not really that great.

reproduction AI is weird (buggy?), there's like two different types and sometimes they switch - one is like: seek and destroy, the other is follow and protect; the switching is annoying because it's not that predictable and looks more like a bug than anything (if you kill the target of the spore before it explodes it kinda follows you around until you find it a new target which it then attacks f.e.).

shroom-doods are great early/mid, one is usually enough to block for you so you can run/attack - so you never take big piety hits using them.

while your plant-ish allies are protected from LRD - the same doesn't count for shatter (HUGE piety hit if you use reproduction alot - which you need to make use of fedhas later...), i never found LCS so i can't talk about the use it has for a fedhas follower but iron shot was decent.

there's no easy way to get mp as fedhas follower (like Kiku/Vehumet/Sif offer) so you're quite restricted to evocations - leveling both (inv for fedhas abilities/evo for mp channeling) is kinda expensive if you actually need to get other stuff online too - it's a tradeoff, but one that might put off people.

also there's no great EE race, just decent ones (imho) - which if find kinda meh since there are lots of good canidates which would fit the theme (SE f.e.).

sadly i died in Zot, near the orb due to a fire-thingy that mutaded and blasted me hard and i couldn't setup any defenses like oklobs because of the layout and because rain didn't give me a plant (after several uses with 17 inv or so...) :/

in the end oklobs where underused by me, because of beeing scared to waste fruit/XP and hitting a road block like i did before with my NaEE; and because the RNG hated me hard.

--- EDIT

what i forgot to mention, sun-thingy is actually usefull as a poor man's levitation and to increase the chance to hit on dodgy stuff - both of which are kinda usefull, the aoe is still too small usually so you need several uses which makes it too inefficient to use imho :s

For this message the author dondy has received thanks:
joellercoaster

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 09:54

i agree that sunlight should really cover more than a cross-shaped area. at least the 8 adjacent squares (and maybe more, like a halo; it's only situationally useful). right now you can't even hit a diagonal if you can't maneuver that way.

as for growth/evolution: what do you do, grow and evolve 9 oklobs at once? that would be overkill anywhere but in the orb chamber, and that's if you want to blitz it.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 10:25

absolutego wrote:i agree that sunlight should really cover more than a cross-shaped area. at least the 8 adjacent squares (and maybe more, like a halo; it's only situationally useful). right now you can't even hit a diagonal if you can't maneuver that way.

as for growth/evolution: what do you do, grow and evolve 9 oklobs at once? that would be overkill anywhere but in the orb chamber, and that's if you want to blitz it.

as far as i see it that's the only reasonable use for grow, since later pretty much everything hits you in that silly cage - unlike earlier where it would be usefull (but is way too expensive) in itself to have the plants as a barrier (against hordes of ogres/orcs/gnolls/yaks/... f.e.)that is "stronger" than shroom-doods (which it wouldn't be because of the cost...) D:

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 10:41

i fought two orbs of fire at the same time with three (four?) oklobs and a few casts of freezing cloud. a single oklob died.
i used at most 4 or 5 at once, in the orb chamber, after a bad teleport. less than that in vaults:8. and sparingly in lair, when you gain the power and where it's great because you don't have to grow, just evolve.
in my experience they are very strong. it may be related with fedhas protecting them from harm (at high piety?). as i said my experience is limited, i'll have to try again.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 13:54

the next is getting plants in a plantless enviroment without it.

I proposed in another post -don't remember which- an evocable item: Eryngia's seed bag. It allows you to produce either plants or trees which also produces progressively a certain amount of fruit. It would be very useful for Fedhasites but also to anybody which want to insta-place a plant or a tree to block something and to get a food source.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 18:52

Roderic wrote:
the next is getting plants in a plantless enviroment without it.

I proposed in another post -don't remember which- an evocable item: Eryngia's seed bag. It allows you to produce either plants or trees which also produces progressively a certain amount of fruit. It would be very useful for Fedhasites but also to anybody which want to insta-place a plant or a tree to block something and to get a food source.

while this is generally a cool idea, it just sounds abusable OR tedious - which both are against the design philosophy of crawl IIRC

how about making decompose leave fruit by chance (since you sacrifice food, for less food+piety it sounds kinda reasonable) and maybe would enable use of grow - because you'd have enough fruit as long as you have decomposables.

this wouldn't make fedhas a post-endgame god (i guess) but would at least make grow viable.

if you could turn fruit into ammo that would be even more awesome x3

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 17:50

cjo wrote:To make a long story short, I had no luck amassing early piety, even though I truly did try to stick to low level spells as much as possible. I had stellar luck with early spellbooks, but nonetheless I died on DL10 with only one * of piety to my name, to a situation which I could easily have survived with Sif's channelling ability. (I had no safe place of retreat, as I had been forced to descend to avoid an OOD monster, and then I met a centaur + Psyche. I needed only a bit more mana - or for that matter, the ability to raise the dead centaur skeleton, having passed by animate skeleton as a Fedhas worshipper.)

You must be relying on mushrooms too much or playing a very corpse-reliant characters. I've never had problems getting plenty of piety with Fedhas.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2011, 05:35

Sealer wrote:
cjo wrote:To make a long story short, I had no luck amassing early piety, even though I truly did try to stick to low level spells as much as possible. I had stellar luck with early spellbooks, but nonetheless I died on DL10 with only one * of piety to my name, to a situation which I could easily have survived with Sif's channelling ability. (I had no safe place of retreat, as I had been forced to descend to avoid an OOD monster, and then I met a centaur + Psyche. I needed only a bit more mana - or for that matter, the ability to raise the dead centaur skeleton, having passed by animate skeleton as a Fedhas worshipper.)

You must be relying on mushrooms too much or playing a very corpse-reliant characters. I've never had problems getting plenty of piety with Fedhas.

Ah, I still remember this death! I actually never made a single mushroom. Since then, I have learned some tips about focusing early skill selection when playing certain combos, but I still think that an offensively focused caster would not gain very fast piety in D2-10. I died before entering Orc or Lair.

I recently had a great time playing Spriggans of Fedhas, of all things. Maybe I was just lucky, but even though they are vegetarians, they need so little food that I had no trouble eating bread only and saving my fruit. Assassin and wizard both did great. (My current "great" means "made it through Orc and most of Lair, died due to player idiocy rather than stalling out.")

It actually took me a while to clue in to how the shrooms work. They didn't attack on command, they didn't retreat on command, and they followed me when I told them to stay. I now know that last was just a freak quirk of the wander script, but since three of them all trailed after me in a hallway, I jumped to conclusions. I assumed that I couldn't give them instructions at all for a while.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice