Pan, Hell and the wandering Gnoll

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 00:12

Pan, Hell and the wandering Gnoll

More idle questions. Idle, because knowing me, I probably have died before it gets answered .. ..

Is it likely to be scrolls/potion loot in Pan or Hell? Given I have no healing potions and only two cure potions, would be nice to find a means to get some. (No, there are none in the shops.)

Are there shops in Hell or Pan? (Yeah, thought I would ask anyway.)

Is there floor loot in Hell or Pan or only loot in the Lord event/7th floor?

If you are doing Hell, is there any reason to clear a floor before diving to the next one? Does not seem to be a lot of exp on the 6 levels. (Done Bone and Ice so far. Wondering to I go play in Pan or do Iron and Fire).

Probably dead, but advice on gear/spells? Specially on gloves, rings and shields. Did I mention rings?

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/grinrain/grinrain.txt

And lastly, an academic sort of question. Because of a book, dodge is maxed out. Is exp now spread across the remaining skills, or is a small bit still going to dodge?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, giggles??

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 08:21

Re: Pan, Hell and the wandering Gnoll

grinrain wrote:Are there shops in Hell or Pan? (Yeah, thought I would ask anyway.)
No, I've never seen one.

grinrain wrote:Is there floor loot in Hell or Pan or only loot in the Lord event/7th floor?
There is regular floor loot in Pan, but not in Hell.

grinrain wrote:If you are doing Hell, is there any reason to clear a floor before diving to the next one? Does not seem to be a lot of exp on the 6 levels. (Done Bone and Ice so far. Wondering to I go play in Pan or do Iron and Fire).
There is no reason to try to "clear" Hell floors, for there's no loot and more monsters will spawn with time. In general, because of Hell effects, one should try to go down fast.

About branches: I think the Iron City is the toughest hell brach, so I like to do that last. Also, Pan is somewhat easier than Hell because there are no Hell effects.

grinrain wrote:Probably dead, but advice on gear/spells? Specially on gloves, rings and shields. Did I mention rings?

That golden dragon armour is strange to me. You would probably be able to cast 9-level spells in a light something. What faerie dragon scales did the Enchantress wear?
The rings and other stuff seem good to me.

Also, looking at your action table: you summoned 6 angels thus far, which is strange. You should use much more angels, 1 in every fight and 2-4 in boss fights. There is a ton of TSO piety in Hell/Pan, you'll never have problems with that.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 12:16

The problem with level nine spells I think is a skill level problem. But will look. As for Angels, did not know I could have more than one up at a time. Though for me, there might be a mana problem with having 4 up at a time without going though mana potions quickly.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 12:22

grinrain wrote:Though for me, there might be a mana problem with having 4 up at a time without going though mana potions quickly.

I don't understand this.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 21:04

Magipi wrote:You would probably be able to cast 9-level spells in a light something. ...
You should use much more angels, 1 in every fight and 2-4 in boss fights.

Level-9 spells (except Zero) and angels are not compatible. Once you have level-9 spells available, just forget that you have angels.
Maɟaŋ

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 21:07

Because I am not use to long lasting summons. My mana puddle is only 41 at best. So after Shield (3 mana), Wereblood (1 mana), calling fourth 4 angels would leave me with only 5 mana to start combat. I now know I can call them up in advance.

Faerie armor was +3, +5 str, Stealth+ and Harm. Not brave enough I do not think for Harm. Do you wear items with it?

Took off all Armor and my 9th level spells all show yellow 16%, thinking I keep checking.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 11th June 2021, 03:07

Well, it was a win. But really open to suggestions. Seems like the RNG favored me this run.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/grinr ... 002522.txt

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 12th June 2021, 09:15

Magipi wrote:
grinrain wrote:Are there shops in Hell or Pan? (Yeah, thought I would ask anyway.)
No, I've never seen one.

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Shop#Supply is accurate AFAIK (and I wrote it).

Also, looking at your action table: you summoned 6 angels thus far, which is strange. You should use much more angels, 1 in every fight and 2-4 in boss fights. There is a ton of TSO piety in Hell/Pan, you'll never have problems with that.

Hang on, there's a fair bit of TSO piety, but at 6-9 piety you can't drop an angel on everything. Maybe you meant 1 in every serious fight?
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 12th June 2021, 16:16

Actually, he was right. I usually had one or two up unless preping for a boss fight. Never lost more than one bubble of piety. Did not help when I zoned in right on the boss.
But was good advice.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 12th June 2021, 16:34

But thanks for the link to the shops page, I had missed that.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice