Djinns

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 24th March 2021, 10:50

Djinns

Can we hear a little bit about the new species, Jinn, from those who designed it? Particularly some of the game mechanics are not clear:
  • How are spell power and spell failure rate calculated? Is it entirely by intelligence and Spellcasting skill? Can Djinn hope to cast level-9 spells during a 3-rune game?
  • Do Jinns get any combat bonus from using magical staves, and if so, how is it calculated?
  • Except for the starting book, is there any way in which a player can manipulate the spells that are learned?
  • How do Vehumet or Sif gift spells to a Jinn?
I'm sure I have more questions, once I play a bit more, but some initial pointers will give us a good first experience.
Maɟaŋ

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 24th March 2021, 14:48

Re: Djinns

Not a designer, but my impression is that Sif, Vehumet and Kiku are banned for Djinn.

For this message the author andrew has received thanks:
Majang

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 24th March 2021, 19:42

It looks like it is possible to join these Gods. But it seems that you don't benefit from them as usual: Vehumet's powers do not include Mana recovery, and no spell gifts, so it is probably not wise to pick her.
Maɟaŋ

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 24th March 2021, 19:53

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 24th March 2021, 20:32

Well, good news is that Ghost moths don't drain your MP, and nothing else either.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
andrew

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 24th March 2021, 20:34

Looks like my server still has yesterday's version on it. Djinns came online only today on underhound.
Maɟaŋ

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 24th March 2021, 20:39

Very confusing for the ghost moth, I'd think.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 25th March 2021, 19:53

Now I lost my first game with a Djinn. Here are some observations:
  • Djinn worshipping Makhleb is very strong - the HP recovery easily makes up for all lost MP points (until I died when it didn't).
  • I only had a staff of conjuration, and I had to swing it a lot to achieve any effects, which probably means that magic staves are useless as a melee weapon for Djinns.
  • I had Spellcasting in focus all the time, and whenever a new spell came up, I could instantly cast it with 1% spell failure, so I guess the lack of magic skills was not a disadvantage when it came to casting spells. The spell power was also reasonably high. My last spell at XP-level 21 was a level-7 spell, so I assume I would have gotten at least one castable level-9 spell at XP27.
  • I was a bit unlucky with my spells, as none of them came with irresistible damage, which killed me in the end when meeting a Crystal Guardian.
  • I wonder why only Fire Elementalist and Air Elementalist are recommended as mage backgrounds.

All in all, I like it.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
andrew

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 26th March 2021, 00:20

I think the magic staves issue should be communicated somewhere; since if I didn't know then I'd probably assume Spellcasting would substitute for spell skills in that context just as in the context of actual spells.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 2nd April 2021, 21:05

I now got a bit further with a Djinn - it was given one level-9 spell, which happened to be Death's Door. I never used it, as I imagined that it would drain me of so much life essence that I wouldn't be able to cast a spell any more - so it would strictly be a very dangerous escape option. Still, the rest of the spells made me very strong, so I finished a 4-rune run without breaking much of a sweat. But I wouldn't have taken this guy on a 15-rune run.

What I like most about Djinns is the possibility to play with spells that I had never used before, because I couldn't bring myself to learn them. So this time I was very pleasantly surprised about Borgnjor's Vile Clutch. Maybe I make a few more discoveries playing another Djinn once in a while.

I strongly recommend Makhleb to support the Djinn, although there will be almost no use for his active benefits.

Edit: This run was made much easier by the early find of the Elemental Staff - that of course works very well, as in melee combat it is not dependent on any elemental or other magic skill, and it makes most spells stronger.
Maɟaŋ

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 2nd June 2021, 05:30

I like the new race, it flies in the face of a lot of what I see as core design issues. It's a decent hybrid.. you still have to train armour and melee, but you get to have fun with spells also without training a bazillion magic schools. The interactions between the spells of varied schools permits experienced players to utilize synergies and amplify tactical advantages. The randomization of the spells make for interesting replayability. As noted in another post, it opens a small window of possibility if they get necromutation for a mega-zig/late game super powerhouse build which seems to have been otherwise badly stomped on with wu-cad and staff of energy changes.

Kudos to the race designer for a job well done.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice