Mega Zigs

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 7th January 2021, 10:20

Mega Zigs

I took a break from this game, and upon returning, basically every single thing I used to use for mega zigs has been removed (staff of energy, disc of storms, etc).

Are these still even possible? What strats are viable now?

For this message the author snow has received thanks:
Majang

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 7th January 2021, 16:45

Re: Mega Zigs

Elementalist with Level 9 nukes, Death's Door and a good supply of Scrolls of Blinking, supported by Vehumet. Just make sure you don't get silenced, and you should be fine.
Maɟaŋ

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 7th January 2021, 21:51

Some higher zigs start with you silenced, and the decision tree is a lot more complicated than you make out. Are you talking about the first few zigs? Those are trivial, and not what I'm talking about.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 7th January 2021, 22:00

I never did more than three, so beyond that I don't know what I'm talking about.
Maɟaŋ

For this message the author Majang has received thanks:
duvessa

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 8th January 2021, 07:30

Most zigs I ever made on single character was 8 so I didn't really went super far, but those things I found helpful/essential:

- level 9 nuke spells and level 8 fire spell Ignition
- supply of silver javelins with high throwing skill for silenced floors
- Gozag looks like extremely good god choice, with floors filled with enemies you will never run out of money, and Gozag is basically unlimited supply of healing, magic and haste potions

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 12th January 2021, 07:04

It's been a little while since I've run mega-zigs. Beyond level-9 attack spells, Necromutation, Makhleb, and silver javelins are what remains for the mega-zigs. I think the chaos-branded unarmed melee of panlords and eldritch tentacles had paralysis removed fairly recently, which was a big source of deaths for me. Absolute Zero seems interesting. Oh, yeah, changes to the Staff of Wucad Mu seem troublesome.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 20th January 2021, 17:07

For this message the author quik has received thanks:
snow

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 29th March 2021, 14:30

Ok...so I gave .26 a try. I'm a mega zig player. I usually collect all the runes then start doing zigs till I eventually die. I can usually get over 100 zigs...after that it gets kinda boring.

BUT...now in .26 they took out A LOT of what makes the game fun for me. One of my favorite things to do was to terraform the last level of the depths using shatter and wands of digging. Then collect a huge library of non-rands and show them off in the terraformed rooms. I could usually collect 100% of the non-rands...which is always a goal of mine.

Now...they have a level cap on the number of turns you can play in a branch. so...terraforming is out. Also...with no crystal ball and a revamped staff of Wu...I"m going to have to find a different way to get my mana back when I'm playing Makh. I've never used sublimation, but I suppose I could give that a try. Not sure mana will come back sufficiently fast enough though. Also...did they get rid of -tele on rings? This is vital to beat the Pan lord zig levels. Also...glaciate being changed is also a huge game changer...as glaciate was a very powerful tool in the megazigs.

I have to say...I'm just not a fan of the changes. They seem to be made with the goal of keeping players from having the MEGA games that go on and on. I like that style of playing. So I guess I'm just gonna stick with .24 for now.

malcoda

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 6th April 2021, 19:45

In trunk after clearing 1 ziggurat the Zot clock goes away so you can go back yo terraforming and making libraries at your own pace. For MpRegen I would suggest gozag and spamming mana potions or going for powered by death + mana link mutations on a demospawn

For this message the author Lici_the_Crawler has received thanks:
ddubois

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 2nd June 2021, 05:21

I haven't mega zig'ed in awhile, but I understand fully what is going on. So, some of these options are possible but probably difficult, such as a demonspawn with the proper mutations (but still it could be very good), mind you still not as good as before when staff of wu-cad and staff of energy worked still. Makhleb and sublimation could work to some extent, but since you can't sublimate while in lich-form, the mummy and pan lord levels could get a bit brutal.

From what I can tell, your best option now for a mega-zig is to play a Djinni of Mahkleb that gets lucky enough to gain necromutation and at least one useful level 9 spell like tornado or firestorm. I had one like that, but I didn't mega-zig with it. Since it spends life to cast the level 9's, can be immune to torment and mummy curses, and gains life back on kills (spam AOE level 9's and melee tough single resistant targets or targets of opportunity to get health back), I'd say that combination is about as good as it is going to get today.

I guess you might also be able to do an extremely tough melee character of TSO with invocation holy blasts for backup, but the angel levels might take you down from smite. I doubt it would be reliable though, it's just a thought. Another iffy situation might be an octopode of vehumet with extremely silly high intelligence (I mean ridiculous) and go for one-shot kills as much as possible.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice