Backgrounds Br & De

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2020, 02:58

Backgrounds Br & De

What are these backgrounds? Couldn't find them listed on the wiki and I'd like to ascend them to complete every known background that's listed on the akrasiac scoreboard.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/kraphead.html

Thanks!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2020, 13:04

Re: Backgrounds Br & De

Both are backgrounds in trunk (development version of the game), persumably they will be available in the 0.26 release.

Br is "Brigand" - They are idendtical to old assassins (As), which are renamed to brigands in trunk.
De is "Delver" - This is a completly new (and strange) background. A Delver starts with a set of powerful consumables, but she starts on D5, that is, on the 5th level of the dungeon instead of the first. Expect lot of way too strong monsters around, and you can try to escape upwards into the (unexplored) earlier levels (or just be lucky and kill something that lets you level up).

Also, Wizards were renamed to Hedge Wizards if I am not mistaken. I do not like these simple renaming changes, as all of these achieve is to make completing all backgrounds harder, and to compare games between versions harder - but whatever, it does not matter much. Delver can be fun, but not very suitable for a streak, and seems very strange as a background in crawl.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
quik

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2020, 15:30

Got it - thanks for clarifying!

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 19th November 2020, 01:55

Wasn't the Wizard-->Hedge Wizard change accompanied by a change in stat distribution? So not quite the same? (I agree that Delver doesn't really fit as a crawl background.)

For this message the author andrew has received thanks: 2
petercordia, sanka

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 19th November 2020, 09:50

Yes, andrew is right: with the name change come some stat changes. Hedge wizards has 4 less int (gaining 3 more strength and 1 more dex), while conjurers gained the old wizard stat distribution (so they have 3 more int, but 1 less strength and 2 less dex now). (So it seems it is possible to redistribute stats without a name change, but I guess they would feel weird if the background "wizard" would not have the highest int.)

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
andrew

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice