Level with only 1 down stair?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th July 2020, 01:24

Level with only 1 down stair?

Guys, is this right?

This level has two separate parts. I've found all three upstairs; but there is only 1 down stair to the next level...And a hatch.

What gives? There is an unexplored hatch in the level above, which I assume would take me to some other area on this level where the other two down stairs are... but should that be able to happen? Because then I'd essentailly have no retreat?
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 02.21.27.png
Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 02.21.27.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 3248 times

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 30th July 2020, 01:57

Re: Level with only 1 down stair?

All levels have three stairs. You need not worry about having no retreat.

Probably it is the case that If you take the hatch, it will take you to the area where you'll find the area which contains the stairs. It is likely to be a disconnected vault.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th July 2020, 03:54

So, the 3 downstairs on D:4 lead to one of two separate areas in D:5, where there is only one downstairs, and one hatch.

There are no hatches on d:4.

The other two downstairs on D:5 are in a totally separate area, but there is seemingly no way to access that area without digging.... none of the stairs on D:4 lead to it, and there are no hatches on D:4? (magic mapping screenshot attached)

Is this by design?
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 04.50.18.png
Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 04.50.18.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 3229 times

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 30th July 2020, 06:42

Is this a map of D:4 or D:5?

Not sure why you're trying to reach that area through the downstairs on the floor above.

The inaccessible stairs shown on the map are downstairs, which means that you need to look at the map of the level just below this level (D:6?). There should be an upstairs which connects to the two disconnected downstairs.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th July 2020, 08:11

bel wrote:Is this a map of D:4 or D:5?

Not sure why you're trying to reach that area through the downstairs on the floor above.

The inaccessible stairs shown on the map are downstairs, which means that you need to look at the map of the level just below this level (D:6?). There should be an upstairs which connects to the two disconnected downstairs.

Agreed with you there, but In the years I've been playing - I don't remember ever being disconnected from stairs in this way in the dungeon. In the Slime pits or orcish mines yes; D:4....not so much! I only have one downstairs available to me. Yes I can go down, and come back up in that area - but disconnnection like this doesn't feel normal to me, ive not seen this happen before.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th July 2020, 23:29

delarado wrote:
bel wrote:Is this a map of D:4 or D:5?

Agreed with you there, but In the years I've been playing - I don't remember ever being disconnected from stairs in this way in the dungeon. In the Slime pits or orcish mines yes; D:4....not so much! I only have one downstairs available to me. Yes I can go down, and come back up in that area - but disconnnection like this doesn't feel normal to me, ive not seen this happen before.

It's rare, but does come up from time to time.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
andrew

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 31st July 2020, 16:06

Just go down the down-stair you can reach, then later go up from that level. No need for hatches.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 6th August 2020, 17:38

Happened to me a couple of times. Will admit not often that I have discovered. But if it had only been one stairs, I might have never known.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice