error in installing

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 14th October 2019, 12:50

error in installing

I seem to be illiterate in this regard, trying to install the "tiles" download on a different computer and get this error -- hmm cannot attach a screenshot, but it says on the loading screen in red:
"texture wall.png is bigger than maximum driver texture size (1024,2048 vs. 1024). Sprites from this texture will not display properly"
"OpenGL error GL_INVALID_VALUE"
-- and the same thing about texture player.png
And so of course you cannot see anything in-game. Seems odd that I have difficulties, seeing as the graphics here are quite simple. Is there a way I can force the "texture size" to be smaller?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 16th October 2019, 20:12

Re: error in installing

There is no way to force this without rewriting a non-trivial bit of code. But I will say that you have to work at it to have a graphics driver that is basic/old enough to trigger this error -- pretty much the only one that I know of that is in common use is the one built in to virtualbox windows. (Specifically it's about 1% of drivers in 2015 - source.) Definitely make sure your drivers are up-to-date; even an old card usually should have drivers with a reasonable GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE, just not necessarily the originally installed version.

(I would probably merge a patch that fixed this, too, but it's not something I've had the time to deal with myself.)

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 17th October 2019, 12:39

Thank you for the reply.
As you can probably guess from the context, I am not terribly computer savvy. I believe that the machine I was trying to install on is a "virtual" one, and by that I mean that I merely run a connection to a server where all the software is. Apparently, the architecture is complex enough to let me run Photoshop and Illustrator. Other than that, since I am not an administrator of any sorts, I cannot really say whether or not any drivers are or are not up to date. So I guess this is what you mean by virtualbox windows and for this there is no fix. Right?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th October 2019, 17:02

There's probably no fix for this (if you're running in a virtual machine administrated by someone else, there's not really anything you can do).

But as a workaround you could probabably run the non-tiles ascii (console) version, or play in a web browser.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
onomastikon

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 17th October 2019, 19:22

onomastikon wrote:Thank you for the reply.
I believe that the machine I was trying to install on is a "virtual" one, and by that I mean that I merely run a connection to a server where all the software is. Apparently, the architecture is complex enough to let me run Photoshop and Illustrator. Other than that, since I am not an administrator of any sorts, I cannot really say whether or not any drivers are or are not up to date. So I guess this is what you mean by virtualbox windows and for this there is no fix. Right?

It sounds like it might be. If the remote server is running a VM and the VM being used is literally VirtualBox, then I'm not aware of any version of the graphics driver that has a texture size >1024, unfortunately. So in that case there might not really be a way to get tiles to work without someone writing some code to work around the limitation in current crawl (basically that it loads sprites sheets as textures all in a single chunk -- some of the sprite sheets would need to be broken up to work). As Siegurt points out, console and webtiles will be fine, at least. If it is a different VM I'm not sure, but you could perhaps ask the admin to check if the drivers are up to date.

For this message the author advil has received thanks:
onomastikon

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice