Dumb AM Ranger 15: Scroll, potions, rings and things

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2019, 13:13

Dumb AM Ranger 15: Scroll, potions, rings and things

Starting out, what is the right strategy for discovering unknown scrolls, potions, armor, jewelry and such?

My current strategy is to keep gathering until I get to the 3rd level of the dungeon. Standing on the bottom step, I put on rings/amulets until I have a usable set and same with any armor I have collected. I then start reading one of each scroll stack starting with the biggest stacks. When I get identity scrolls, I use them to identify potions. I never try on a weapon until I have remove curse scrolls, though that has turned out to be painful on at least one run when I equipped a -2 longsword of distortion.

After that, I use identity scrolls on potions as I find them, the rest I read on the steps of the next lower level of the dungeon (after clearing the immediate area).

What is a better strategy?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2019, 13:59

Re: Dumb AM Ranger 15: Scroll, potions, rings and things

I don't know what is a good strategy, but here's what I do:

Whenever I find an identify scroll, I see if I have an unidentified potion. If I do, I identify it.
I take a risk and wear the first two rings I find. This is surely not optimal, but I don't care. If I have two usable rings, I don't put others on until I have a remove curse scroll.

When I have cleared a level, I check If I have id scrolls and use them in this order: potions, scrolls, amulets, weapons.

When I descend to a new level, I check if I have unidentified scrolls and use them, starting with the biggest stack. If it's teleportation, I climb back up.

I might wield an enchanted weapon in the early game, if the base type is good. Later I don't do it if I don't want distortion, which I usually don't.

I never wear unidentified amulets if I haven't found harm yet.

Later when I have a big stack of id scrolls I use them on artifact armour and rings as well, to avoid annoying *drain and *contam.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2019, 15:56

Distortion is very rare and *Drain gets recovered pretty easily.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2019, 18:09

I usually read double Scrolls as soon as i remember to, and ID single Scrolls until I've found remove curse. After that I'll switch between IDing Scrolls and potions. I usually try to avoid read IDing ?amnesia, and ?entchant, and I don't quaf-id stacks of less than 4 until I've found !mut.
I don't care much about *Drain (including harm) or !degeneration (they go away pretty quickly with xp), but I sometimes avoid new amulets because of*faith. Before my first uncurse scroll I'll wear ID equipment which could be a significant upgrade (eg the first 2 rings or a scale mail armour or gloves), and later in the game I'll wear ID everything which looks like it could be useful. I don't worry about distortion, because there are enough brand weapon Scrolls. I've never been truly messed up by a distortion weapon.
With monster equipment being IDed in recent versions I find weapon IDing and body armour IDing get rare really quickly.

For this message the author petercordia has received thanks:
Airwolf

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 3rd August 2019, 20:13

On most characters, I personally identify scrolls first, at least until I have blink, teleport and fear identified. I found those more useful to save me than most potions, and I also think that I have a smaller chance to find good potions than these three scrolls.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice