Dumb AM ranger 14 - enchant scrolls

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 29th July 2019, 20:31

Dumb AM ranger 14 - enchant scrolls

Do folks save 3 of each of the scrolls in case of getting a treasure trove. Really hard to sit on 3 enchant weapon scrolls.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th July 2019, 20:41

Re: Dumb AM ranger 14 - enchant scrolls

No, it's generally best to use the enchant scrolls as you find them. Until you actually find a Trove, play like they don't exist.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 29th July 2019, 20:50

grinrain wrote:Do folks save 3 of each of the scrolls in case of getting a treasure trove. Really hard to sit on 3 enchant weapon scrolls.

Generally speaking, no.

First of all, very few troves will actually have an enchanted weapon or armour as the entry price. The price can be anything from a stack of potions or scrolls - these can be ludicrously rare, by the way - to dropping your piety to nothing, to showing a rune. Example: one of my current games generated a price of 16 curing potions.
Second, crawling tends to work on a basis of taking resources that can enhance your odds sooner rather than later. A +5 branded weapon of choice now is an immediate and useful boost to combat power, and is preferable to a trove tribute that might never be needed in the first place - not many games generate a treasure trove.
Third, troves are notorious for their similarity to reading scrolls of acquirement/disappointment. Sometimes they're amazing, other times you'll curse your curiosity for even trying to scrape together the needed tribute. Check the "Trove reporting" thread for examples.

Personal advice: if you have a good piece to enchant now and will use reasonably often, use the scrolls. You'll likely get more by surviving anyway.
There is always something new to learn.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 29th July 2019, 21:15

grinrain wrote:Do folks save 3 of each of the scrolls in case of getting a treasure trove. Really hard to sit on 3 enchant weapon scrolls.

I'd never sit on enchant scrolls if I have something worth enchanting. (Though I'm a bit pickier in what I consider worth enchanting than some other players.)

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 29th July 2019, 21:28

Any weapon that's going to be used long term gets enchanted. Armor tends to get enchanted sooner as long as it's a decent piece of gear. Sometimes on strong builds or species with limited slots I wind up sitting on scrolls (for opposite reasons, either I don't need to commit enchants in an easier run or I don't have anything wearable that CAN be enchanted). Usually, staying alive now > being stronger later.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 30th July 2019, 17:03

It's hard to be stronger when you're dead.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 31st July 2019, 14:05

Well, there is that.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice