Re: Tukima's Dance 0.16.1

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 19th July 2019, 11:21

[Mod edit: deleted spam OP]
I have a SpEn who can cast this hungerless and is about to enter Orc. This is my first character to find its book, and I've not used it much this game since I was most recently in Lair. I'd like to ask for some tactical advice. The problem I had with it as I descended to find Orc was that the weapons seemed slow, I'd disarm the monster and then it would continue towards me leaving the weapon behind. Even when I waited until the monster was close and then retreated, it seemed like it left the weapon behind. I appreciate the disarming, but how can I get the weapon to actually beat on its former owner? I do have animate skeleton, and I could retreat back through these so that the monster couldn't follow, but I'm somewhat leery of accumulating big packs of skeletons in Orc that will get in the way of Confusing priests and wizards.

The weapon usually takes a bit of time to catch up to the monster. Just hold up the monster a little bit by engaging it in melee and the weapon will attack the monster from behind. Without its weapon, the monster typically does much less damage, so you can usually safely engage it in melee.

Also, once the weapon catches up to the monster, it often distracts the monster. So, if you are already in melee range, you can get some stabs in.

Often, it's simpler to just confuse the monster instead of casting Tukima's dance. However, Tukima's dance works more often than confuse because it has a spellpower bonus.
Last edited by bel on Friday, 19th July 2019, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 19th July 2019, 11:26

In my experience Tukima's dance usually results in the offending monster getting hit.
The weapon is faster than the Orc, and spawns in front of the Orc as often as behind it. (I think in a random square radius 2 from the original monster.)
It helps if you're fighting a lot of monsters and they get stuck in a traffic jam. As a sprigan you might not want to do this too much. If you're fighting just a few Orcs you might as well confuse them in addition to making their weapon dance.
One of the nice uses is that if you confuse+TD an orc wizard/priest, that orc may be killed without you having to (run up to it & stab it. Sometimes this doesn't work and it feels like a waste (because the next time you meet the orc he won't have a weapon any more.)
I expect that if you keep your escape routes open, Orc will provide the ideal place to learn how to abuse TD, because there's a lot of low-MR monsters with weapons there.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 19th July 2019, 23:02

petercordia wrote:In my experience Tukima's dance usually results in the offending monster getting hit.
The weapon is faster than the Orc, and spawns in front of the Orc as often as behind it. (I think in a random square radius 2 from the original monster.)
It helps if you're fighting a lot of monsters and they get stuck in a traffic jam. As a sprigan you might not want to do this too much. If you're fighting just a few Orcs you might as well confuse them in addition to making their weapon dance.
One of the nice uses is that if you confuse+TD an orc wizard/priest, that orc may be killed without you having to (run up to it & stab it. Sometimes this doesn't work and it feels like a waste (because the next time you meet the orc he won't have a weapon any more.)
I expect that if you keep your escape routes open, Orc will provide the ideal place to learn how to abuse TD, because there's a lot of low-MR monsters with weapons there.

I recall something about Tukima's being changed to use monster HD rather than MR, but I'm not positive. The primary function of Tukima's imo is the disarming so that the target isn't as dangerous. It does work well with confuse, of course. I also seem to recall that the weapon speed could be linked with the weapon type, but again, I am not totally sure about that.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice