Warlock's mirror or shield of the Gong ?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 30th April 2019, 20:07

Warlock's mirror or shield of the Gong ?

char dump https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Guts/Guts.txt

Feelin pretty good about this VSFi^USkayaw. It can TAB through almost everything with some minor exceptions. Really looking forward to bring this char in extended and see how Usk fares in a ziggurat.

As the topic asks, what do you guys think? better go warloc's mirror for the extra reflect (I also have reflect amulet +5 to boost SH) or should I go large shield or shield of the Gong for more SH? I have little experience with the mirror. Is it worth lowering my defenses for the extra effect? Given that I mostly like to get into melee range and reflect is very useful in these cases. Not sure if reflected projectiles and bolts trigger piety with USk, does anybody know?

Thank you for your advice

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 30th April 2019, 20:23

Re: Warlock's mirror or shield of the Gong ?

In general, a regular shield with a couple enchants is more useful than warlock's mirror. Mirror is only good early game or on small species that don't want to put a ton of points into SH but still get some benefit from using something in the slot (kobold or spriggan might hang onto one for a long time, possibly all game in a 3 rune).

Gong is very effective at what it does but using it will feel like you're playing Qazlal. Use or don't use accordingly.

For this message the author TheMeInTeam has received thanks:
nago

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 1st May 2019, 04:21

Re: Warlock's mirror or shield of the Gong ?

Medium with 15 skill is fine, large is good too but not if you're trying to cast at all, and putting tons more xp into shields isn't really great. I'd take the gong over the warlock's mirror if I had the skill to support it, but I'd probably take a shield of resistance over the gong. If I were undead, I might keep the warlock's mirror to help deal with dispel undead, although that is mostly theorycraft for me at the present time.

For this message the author svendre has received thanks:
nago

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice