endgame weapon choice for CeGl^Gozag

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 31st March 2019, 23:44

endgame weapon choice for CeGl^Gozag

Hi guys,

started today a centaur gladiator.
https://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/g ... cchini.txt

Never gave them too much credit because I thought Ce were only well suited for ranged (and I find it boring) So I started as a Gl with swords (just love swords, especially the unrandarts, even though they're not super synergetic with Ce's lack of EV). Converted to Gozag because it's a god I never got too far with and I am so curious to bribe a branch at least once.
I found in early dungeon the Trident of the Octopus King (funny how I keep finding this unrandart. Over the last few days I think I encountered it 5 times!) and switched to polearms because reach IS synergic with Ce's speed and resPos ad resElec are pretty dope. However I don't think this is an endgame weapon and so I have to decide what to do. An early shop displayed the Plutonium Sword and I was kinda curious to try it. At the same time a new shop I found displayed the Big shield of ignorance and I do like the extra protection of a shield on a low EV character like this.

So basically my question is should I stick with swords and aim at the Plutonium sword or resume training shields and hang onto my Octopus King trident and look for some demon trident later on? I am at the Shoals after all so it wouldnt be so unlikely to find one.

lmk what you guys think. Centaurs are pretty buff!

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 1st April 2019, 04:22

Re: endgame weapon choice for CeGl^Gozag

I had a quick look at your character, and no obvious choice hit me easily except that I saw you have 14 in swords, and 14 in polearms and you're wielding a +12 greatsword with fragile, and it's at least providing you with rPois too since you're also getting rElec from your barding.

You also have 10 int, so this isn't going to be much of a spellcaster.

I advise you don't unequip the +12 greatsword and clear shoals and see what you find in there as far as demon tridents, then think about it some more. If you are sure you don't want to use bows, even as a backup, then I'd consider switching to the large shield + a nicely branded demon trident because they do synergize quite well with Ce speed. But don't make this decision lightly. You have 6 enchant scrolls, and another way to go is to hold out for a bardiche (without fragile) and swap with a bow sometimes. Don't blow off the +12 enchant so quickly and easily though. You could train other skills besides swords or polearms and just hold out awhile to see what all you find.

If it were me, meh I don't know... I'd probably go with a bardiche and a bow for a Centaur. The aptitude for bow is just too compelling, and you can't use a longbow at all - ever, even with a buckler. You've only invested 7 into shields so far, so it's no big deal. I'm not a huge fan of the plutonium sword besides games where I'm just goofing around. The reach of a bardiche for a centaur will just outshine the riposte and mutations effects you get sometimes. You don't need to mutate stuff with a triple sword because with weapons of those size, you ought to be killing stuff in one or two hits anyhow, so the gimmics don't add as much.

*If* you aren't ever going to use a bow for this character, and you've decided you just hate it- even as a swap item, then I would steer you to use the large shield and a demon trident. I just wouldn't be in a big hurry to make the change because two reasons: 1) your shield skill still sucks for using a large shield and will for some time to come, and 2) you'd be giving up at least rPois on that current sword if you make switch to a vanilla demon trident. The octopus trident wouldn't factor much at all in this picture.

For this message the author svendre has received thanks:
grocchini

Barkeep

Post Monday, 1st April 2019, 14:49

I guess: Do you want to win, or have fun? If you want to win, svendre has good advice. If you want to have fun, grab the plutonium sword because it is fun and when are are you going to see it again on a character that can even arguably use it?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 1st April 2019, 16:50

Centaurs are strong enough you could probably win with any of the named strategies. (At least with my playstyle they result in a much higher winrate than any other species. Mostly because they're good at running away.)
For me the strongest strategy would be to keep using the greatsword whilst training longbows to mindelay and then switch to longbows. I wouldn't do that because I'd find it boring. I agree with njvack, the plutonium sword sounds like your most fun option :)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 1st April 2019, 17:29

That great sword is super strong, above average endgame weapon. Any choices beyond that are you having fun.

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks: 2
duvessa, petercordia

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice