General(ish) Advice

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 31st March 2019, 06:48

General(ish) Advice

Character:
Spoiler: show
Liczutirysa the Executioner (Hill Orc Berserker) Turns: 19576, Time: 00:30:58

Health: 124/124 AC: 20 Str: 25 XL: 14 Next: 75%
Magic: 14/14 EV: 17 Int: 7 God: Trog [*****.]
Gold: 1203 SH: 0 Dex: 13 Spells: 13/13 levels left

rFire . . . SeeInvis + e - +9 battleaxe {elec, rC- SInv Stlth+}
rCold x . . Gourm . (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg . . . Faith . i - +4 ring mail
rPois . Spirit . x - +0 helmet
rElec + Reflect . H - +1 cloak
rCorr + Harm . k - +2 pair of gloves
MR +.... t - +0 pair of boots of Mirth {rElec Regen+ rCorr Stlth-}
Stlth +......... (no amulet)
HPRegen 0.70/turn z - +3 ring of dexterity
MPRegen 0.14/turn (no ring)
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Renounce Religion
Skills:
- Level 11.5 Fighting
+ Level 21.5 Axes
- Level 10.7 Armour
* Level 9.9 Dodging
- Level 4.0 Shields

I have a +0 Executioner's Axe of Freezing, that wacky ass +9 battleaxe, the +14 Obsidian Axe, a broad axe and a +4 battle axe. I'm thinking to use the +9 battleaxe until I am proficient enough for the executioner's axe, and then start upgrading it? I also have a +3 flaming triple-crossbow and a handcrossbow for later. Anyways I am getting tired of going for 3-rune runes although I've only won a few. I really want to see the rest of the content the game has to offer. How do you guys think I should progress for that?

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 31st March 2019, 09:48

Re: General(ish) Advice

You didn't give a full chardump, so there is not much to stand on when giving advice. Knowing about which branches you already went through matters. From what I do see, the RNG wasn't very kind if your best available armour is an enchanted plain ring mail. Your other ring and amulet slots are also empty. Was there really nothing worth taking in O:1-2?

As for any immediate decisions, I think the obsidian axe makes your char unable to berserk, you want to drop that. Trog is likely to gift an exec axe of antimagic at some point, which is the endgame weapon of choice if you want more runes. Your axes skill is already enough for 1.0 or less when swinging, so there is no proficiency issue. Your loadout also looks very poor in terms of resistances. MR is no problem for berserkers, but having only rElec and rCorr is not looking viable at this point.

In conclusion, please provide a pastebin link or something. You'll get much better advice.
There is always something new to learn.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 31st March 2019, 15:01

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 31st March 2019, 15:36

Rokirem wrote:Sure thing:
https://pastebin.com/Ep7V3s1z

Okay, this gives a clearer image. Aside from the rC-, that battleaxe is your best weapon at this point. So long as you are cautious, there is no real reason you shouldn't finish Lair and then find the entrance to Orc mines.
In terms of skills, you need more versatility. Having only close combat strength is a very serious drawback in the mid-late game. Take up Evocations training, about 10 should be more than enough. The best wands for now should be iceblast (can't miss), paralysis and enslavement. Disintegration is good too, and I saw it in the chardump somewhere, so pick it back up. The other skill branch to focus on is ranged weaponry, so put points into Crossbows as well. No need to *-focus Dodging, the aptitude is not nearly as bad as it looks.

As for the resistances I mentioned in the post above, use ctrl-f and search for : 1) rF+ 2) rPois 3) rC+ . If the results are not promising, you may find something better in dungeon as you're on the way to O. If nothing useful is around, the shops in O:2 might provide.

The branches in extended are brutal, so the best advice I can give is: don't think about extended before you have 3 runes.

The first branch to take on looks to be Nest, all that's needed now is rPois and a heavier set of armour. Hope this helps your game!

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 31st March 2019, 16:24

I did Spider's Nest and Shoals. I got teleported to Abyss:3 TWICE. So I do Vault(s) next right?

Oh also I got Beserktits lvl 1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 31st March 2019, 17:11

Rokirem wrote:I did Spider's Nest and Shoals. I got teleported to Abyss:3 TWICE. So I do Vault(s) next right?

Good progress, and well done surviving the Abyss! :) On a guess, impalers with distortion weapons?

Before going for Vaults, make sure you've cleared dungeon down to the entrance to Depths. Put up an updated chardump once that's done with, it's a good habit to have.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 1st April 2019, 12:51

Rokirem wrote:Oh also I got Beserktits lvl 1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You should cure that with a potion of mutation.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 2nd April 2019, 01:20

Rokirem wrote:I did Spider's Nest and Shoals. I got teleported to Abyss:3 TWICE. So I do Vault(s) next right?

Be sure to kill distortion wielding weapons through range (using wands) or through a BIA. Be careful of enemies that mark you (vault sentinels) which alert the entire floor to your location, paralyze you (orc sorcerers, ogre magis, sphinxes) which can flat out one shot you, and enemies that can banish you (ogre magis, deep elf sorcerers, wizards) in vaults. In this case, your best option as a berserker is to activate the Trog's hand ability before engaging.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice