I love Mummies. I suck with Mummies

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 19th September 2011, 03:30

I love Mummies. I suck with Mummies

I want to play a Mummy so bad. So so bad. I've been trying hard, reading up on them, watching minmay play, trying different combos in multiple ways-- and I barely ever get past the the temple. Maybe mummies are just to difficult for me to play at my skill level -- not quite gotten a rune yet :( -- but i'd like to get good with them. I've tried to start w/ each type of Elementalist, wizard /conj /summoner I generally turn off all skills except spellcasting until it's about 4 or 5 then *spellcasting and + or * the spellschools for my book. Even then, when I get to D4 or D5 I find I'm barely surviving probably due to weak aptitudes/stats. I understand this is what mummies are about but there has to be a way to pull this off. I've seen minmay play countless lategame mummies and I don't expect to be anywhere near that but you'd think I could get one off the ground - maybe get going in the lair at least. I generally grab a weapon asap and throw EVERYTHING I can get my hands on (while keeping throwing off) but I still just.. ugh. Maybe this is how mummies are supposed to be but I regularly land in situations that seem unwinnable but clearly they are not if better players crank out wins with mummies. On other characters (usually) when I die i feel like "shit I fucked up" but on mummies its more like "?????"

Maybe I should just stick to deep elves but they are so boring it seems. pew pew pew then YASD b/c you have like 5 health. (I recognize their are other caster builds but I really like mummies lol)

And don't get me started on the AM.. I will NEVER get one of those going.. maybe if I keep trying I can pull it off. I <3 the book.. I will do anything to innerflame/enslave bomb hordes of things..

I'd settle for a FE.. FE's are great.. Don't make me DEFE (haha defe) there has to be a way for me to get a mummy going. I'm rambling.. anything to keep me from killing another mummy. at least they don't leave ghosts to kill off more mummies..hmm..

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 19th September 2011, 04:04

Re: I love Mummies. I suck with Mummies

MuWz is pretty easy to get off the ground...

Call Imp, Slow, Meph, Conj Flame - All really great CC spells.

Anything that you can't Meph just swarm with Imps. Bring Ice Beast into a corridor and use some Conj Flame. Make full use of the early wands you find. Slow/Conf/Paralysis are all great for making a monster a road block in a corridor. As a Mummy you can freely cast Meph on yourself. If you're finding yourself underpowered you can do some minor scumming on each level. I usually go 2000-2500 turns on D:1-D:3, after that it just becomes tedious but it does help.

I grab Blink and Imp at XL2, then Meph ASAP - Getting Meph castable is paramount for locking down the majority of the early levels... Imps handle the rest. Also pillar dance to get you mana back... Your Dart is probably going to be more likely to kill than whatever weapon you've grabbed - QStaff if you can find it for the great accuracy. Poison branded weapons might be good as well. Slings are way better than throwing for the most part.

I wouldn't personally worry about pushing Spellcasting early because you don't have to worry about the hunger gains, getting Meph and Imp up as fast as possible is probably a better use of exp investment.

Another nice trick is to spam Imps around a bunch of corpses... the black ones might raise them for more permanent companions. And hey... you don't have to worry about a hunger clock :D
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 19th September 2011, 04:17

Thats a great idea about the corpse farming imps I hadn't thought of that. I don't usually ever get that spell because I hate imps with a passion lol but maybe they'd make me feel better if they were on my side.

Reason I was getting the spellcasting early was b/c I kept running out of mana IN fights so I thought it would be necessary

I'd really like to play a FE to bring out the pyro in me but I don't know if thats reasonable with a mummy

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 19th September 2011, 04:31

Mummy are nice because you can play even more patient than usual. If you're running into mana issues try planning ahead - If you see a situation where you think you might run out of mana then try dropping a meph cloud and retreating into a hallway with Conj Flame and/or Imp to block traffic.

Spammed imps are also great to allow you to escape while damaging (and possibly killing) scaries.

Regardless of my species/background, if I have Meph Cloud I'll save 3 mana for those "Oh crap" moments, even if it means retreating to regen and coming back.

I actually just started a very promising MuWz because of this thread. I'm sure he'll die somewhere around mid-Lair (my biggest hurdle for mummies lol), but he did find an early +6 EV ring and a +4 AC ring :D
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 19th September 2011, 05:18

The emergency miscast 3 mana? Haha I better save 6-9 mana with my luck. Oh good luck with your mummy hopefully he can make it faaaar past where mine do. I'm gonna try a DgFE tomorrow no idea how that's gonna turn out.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 19th September 2011, 08:37

MuCj has a great start - I'm currently playing one and enjoying it.

Check out this thread - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1408 - it has nice ideas on the subject, most important of which are defences.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 19th September 2011, 21:50

@AtT - I'm actually on my most successful Mummy ever, and most successful Vehemut worshipper - I actually got the Book of Annihilations :D Used the advice I provided as well as some tips from the link hayenne linked.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 00:18

Thanks for the info! I'll keep trying at it and post my progress if I can make any. Hopefully there is some sort of learning curve and it will just "click" eventually. I'd really like to start one off as a FE (love that book) but I doubt if that will be possible with my skill level. I should definitely start with wizard, although I had some moderate success with venom mages.

@bobross419 thats great! keep up the mummy play I recommend watching minmay play he's always great with mummies. Trouble is I've never seen him NOT at the end game ever lol and I'm most curious about the start-lair

Maybe some time I can have a more experienced player watch my start? I bet that would be very beneficial if they had the time. Are there any lets plays done by experienced players? I've seen some on youtube but they seemed more meh MDFi guides. Which is good I guess. I should probably keep working at a SpBe/MDFi/DESu i've gotten fairly far with those pretty easily I bet if I really buckled down I could get a rune. Idk. I just got a thing for mummies i guess

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 03:07

A quick update I just cleared D6 with a mummy wizard EASY wizard is a good start for them. I currently have all spell schools on except summoning (translocation,poison,air,conj and of course spellcasting) I hammered out a level or two of conj to get met cloud to "good" and quickly got it to "very good." I plan on turning translocation off when blink gets excellent or at least very good (might be very good now i'll have to check.) I will also turn off poison (when ma cloud is on excellent) and will decide whether more air or conj based on god choice and/or book finds. I found a book of degeneration. Not too useful but kind of cool. I don't have fighting as i've been using slings for a good while (don't have the skill turned on tho) but I will switch to meleeing with my dagger. to get fighting and perhaps stabbing. maybe short blade but meh. i'll probably focus more on casting depending on my gods generosity (assuming I survive.)

I'm playing more carefully than usual and it is clearly paying off with mah mummy. I think ultimately I like them because they have equal weapon aptitudes so no pressure on what to pick- base on finds/preference, no need for food or potions (I find both to be a bother and while useful, i'm not very good with potion timing) because of their lack of digestion and potions, they can carry a lot of crap for a caster, which is hugely useful. Mostly I find them to be far less annoying to micromanage than other races. In theory though, as they are hard to make not die. also <3 poison resist. I feel like unless i get boned by the RNG I can probably make it to the lair. At least my build / skill with them is improving I appreciate the help.

Also I think that my MuFE is not really much of an option as FEs rely on nuking very hard early as apposed to clouds of confusion and panic, and that is very hard to do with a mummy (low mp for a while, slower off the ground) Maybe it would be possible once you got conjure flame up and running but it would be harder than a wizard. Imps help a ton even though I hate them, and blink is a life saver. Maybe if played very carefully a MuFE could be done but for now I prefer my FEs to be DE or at least SE. Great nukers and loads of fun too. Also mummies would have to be EXTREMELY careful of AOE and backlash. Cloud is too great to pass up anyway, as if you only use mana for clouds you can keep enemies confused for VERY long times and sling rocks at them/stab them and not worry about running out of mana as confusion lasts a good while. That's a great strat I had been abusing the cloud but not nearly enough, I used magic missile still once I got cloud up and running but there is no need. slings do more damage practically even untrained.

Also I assume (for ranged damage) sling+steel bullets > javelins> sling+rocks > dagger of returning. assuming 0,0 enchantments all around. skill in 1 for slings and throwing.

Shit I'm supposed to be working >.> look what you did

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 10:08

My MuCj is storming Pan away at moment. I put focus on getting fire storm castable until I reach V:8 and Slime as it makes them way easier; I think I made my way through early levels with Magic Dart and Mephitic cloud only, frequently meleeing enemies with a whip of electrocution, kindly offered by Pikel (later traded for dwhip of elec). I was able to reliably cast bolt of fire by the time I reached Orcish Mines, which I used throughthought whole game as my main spell.

Note that it's hard to maintain balance between defences (shield is more important) and offensive powers. I raised Shield to eliminate spellcasting penalty with a buckler (sklevel: 5).

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 14:21

hayenne wrote:Note that it's hard to maintain balance between defences (shield is more important) and offensive powers. I raised Shield to eliminate spellcasting penalty with a buckler (sklevel: 5).

I've been looking for one but I havent been lucky enough to find one. I'll have to CRTL+F to find it. I guess you just use it anyway until you get shield 1, and then maybe * it exclusively until its 5 then other skills back on? Perhaps leave the shield skill on so you can use a larger shield later?

I've never gotten past clearing the lair and most of orc, maybe D18, so If I can get even close to there I'll consider it progress. My first goal is get to lair w/ Mu.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 14:43

Apparently, "spellcasting penalty" and "combat penalty" are different. The truth is, you only need 1 level of shield to eliminate the former when you use a buckler.

EDIT: Err, nope, I was wrong. Shield level 1 is enough to eliminate spellcasting penalty if you wear an armor as light as a robe :oops:

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 14:59

AtT wrote:I've been looking for one but I havent been lucky enough to find one. I'll have to CRTL+F to find it. I guess you just use it anyway until you get shield 1, and then maybe * it exclusively until its 5 then other skills back on? Perhaps leave the shield skill on so you can use a larger shield later?

I've never gotten past clearing the lair and most of orc, maybe D18, so If I can get even close to there I'll consider it progress. My first goal is get to lair w/ Mu.

Put up any buckler you may chance to find (or buy) as soon as possible, but don't let yourself down if you don't, it matters little until later Dungeon/Vaults and you will have it by then (Elven Halls are always the most reliable source). The spellcasting penalty with bucklers is really tiny and hardly noticeable (pratamawirya may well be right concerning splcast penalty). Don't bother with bigger shields just yet, they require a lot of investment you would do better to put into offense.

Regarding progress: I pick up Vehumet as he helps with spellcasting enormously; pick your planned endgame nuke spell early (fire storm, ice storm, tornado, lcs/shatter or summons) and put your exp out into the spell skill of your choice. Veh helps with books and gives you literally all the offensive spells you will ever need. Mephitic Cloud disables most things in Lair and Orc and allows to semi-safely melee them or bring down with a finisher spell of your choice (I think I had Stone Arrow by the time I reached Lair, but did not use it that much). If you chance to find a quick weapon of pain (maces/polearms preferred, as you may upgrade to demon counterparts), you may consider using it and go for Necromancy/Summons/Haunt - this is a perfectly viable choice, though I myself had never won a single summoner.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 17:48

Summoners are easy if you have a large mana pool. I prefer some sort of elf for that job.

I just got fighting and have it *. Apparently I missed to temple when running from something scary. maybe D2??? ugh. I'll have to go up and find it. I'd really like an offincive spell/weapon against poison resistant creatures besides magic dart. No way I could take on a hydra without one

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 18:10

Not sure what to do next, what weapon to use either. I got to the lair tho! I feel week though, not much killing power with anything.

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.10-a0-754-gd03843a character file.

Kiwi the Magician (Mummy Wizard)                   Turns: 22938, Time: 01:11:10

HP  52/52        AC  1     Str 10      XL: 8   Next: 73%
MP  19/19        EV 12     Int 19      God: Vehumet [......]
Gold 529         SH  0     Dex 10      Spells:  7 memorised,  0 levels left

Res.Fire  : x . .   See Invis. : .    C - +1,+4 hammer "Psimoehu" {crush, +Blink}
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : . .  a - +0 robe
Life Prot.: + + +   Conserve   : .    (no shield)
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    P - -1 helmet
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    (no cloak)
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    s - -2 pair of elf gauntlets
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    (no boots)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    (no amulet)
Res.Rott. : +       Levitation : .    (no ring)
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    (no ring)

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: no food or potions, fire vulnerability, cold resistance 1, life protection 3,
poison resistance, torment resistance, unbreathing
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink

You are on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 10 of its levels.

You have collected 509 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 n - a +2,+1 sling
 A - an uncursed dwarven dagger of protection
 C - the +1,+4 hammer "Psimoehu" (weapon) {crush, +Blink}
   (You found it on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.

It lets you blink.
 D - an uncursed glowing elven blowgun
 G - an uncursed bow
Missiles
 d - 83 +0 stones
 l - 4 javelins (quivered)
 o - 18 poisoned needles
 u - 10 steel +2 sling bullets
 w - 64 arrows
 F - 61 poisoned needles
 J - 18 runed arrows
 K - 23 runed darts
 M - 26 +0 sling bullets
 T - 12 poisoned needles
Armour
 a - a +0 robe (worn)
 s - a -2 pair of elven gauntlets (worn)
 x - an uncursed animal skin
 P - a -1 helmet (worn)
 S - a runed elven leather armour
Magical devices
 e - a wand of disintegration {zapped: 1}
 f - a wand of cold {zapped: 1}
 m - a twisted brass wand
 z - a wand of magic darts {zapped: 1}
 L - a wand of teleportation {zapped: 1}
Scrolls
 g - 2 scrolls of detect curse
 h - 2 scrolls labeled VIMEAC ENWE {tried on runed ruby amulet}
 j - a scroll labeled GAXKUA SKAUPA
 k - 2 scrolls labeled MULIGU SEVIA
 q - a scroll of enchant weapon I
 r - 2 scrolls of remove curse
 t - 2 scrolls labeled ATUKAVUURU
 v - 3 scrolls of identify
 y - a scroll of teleportation
 B - a scroll labeled BRE TUINTOWK
 N - a scroll of random uselessness
 O - a scroll labeled BELOPAYPHA
 Q - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon III
 U - a scroll labeled CLIPHA LAUZU
 V - a scroll of enchant weapon II
 W - a scroll labeled RAOTHE PRUD
Jewellery
 p - an uncursed amulet of guardian spirit
Books
 c - a book of Minor Magic   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   *Magic Dart                        Conjuration                  1
   *Blink                             Translocation                2
   *Call Imp                          Summoning                    2
   *Repel Missiles                    Charms/Air                   2
   *Slow                              Hexes                        2
   *Conjure Flame                     Conjuration/Fire             3
   *Mephitic Cloud                    Conjuration/Poison/Air       3
 I - a book of Debilitation   

Corona                             Hexes                        1
   *Slow                              Hexes                        2
   Inner Flame                        Hexes/Fire                   3
   Enslavement                        Hexes                        4
   Cause Fear                         Hexes                        4

Skills:
 + Level 2 Fighting
 - Level 1 Short Blades
 - Level 1 Slings
 - Level 1 Throwing
 + Level 3 Dodging
 + Level 4 Stealth
 - Level 1 Stabbing
 - Level 1 Traps & Doors
 + Level 4 Spellcasting
 + Level 4 Conjurations
 - Level 1 Summonings
 - Level 2 Translocations
 + Level 2 Air Magic
 - Level 2 Poison Magic

You cannot memorise any spells.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Magic Dart            Conj           ####.        Excellent   1    N/A
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          Great       2    N/A
c - Call Imp              Summ           ##........   Very Good   2    N/A
d - Repel Missiles        Air/Chrm       ##........   Very Good   2    N/A
e - Slow                  Hex            #........    Good        2    N/A
f - Mephitic Cloud        Pois/Air/Conj  ###......    Very Good   3    N/A
g - Conjure Flame         Fire/Conj      ###......    Very Good   3    N/A

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (8/27)             Temple (1/1) D:4            Lair (1/8) D:8
   Orc: D:6-11     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin

Shops:
D:5: !

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You do not eat or drink.
Your flesh is vulnerable to fire.
Your flesh is cold resistant.
You are immune to negative energy.
Your system is resistant to poisons.
You are immune to unholy pain and torment.
You do not need to breathe.

Message History

You are being weighed down by all of your possessions.
C - an ichor-stained hammer
Read which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Identify which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
As you read the scroll of identify, it crumbles to dust.
C - the +1,+4 hammer "Psimoehu" {crush, +Blink}
Identify which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
i - an uncursed ring of poison resistance
Your possessions no longer seem quite so burdensome.
You drop a -1 wizard hat.
You drop an uncursed ring of poison resistance.
Wield which item (- for none, * to show all)? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
C - the +1,+4 hammer "Psimoehu" (weapon) {crush, +Blink}
M - 26 +0 sling bullets
Use which ability? (? or * to list)
Okay, then.
Found a meat ration.
Welcome back, Kiwi the Mummy Wizard.
Vehumet says: Let it end in hellfire!
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.

...........%...f
...............#
...............#########
......................f
.......<..............####
..........P...........##.#
..........#....#.........#####
...................##....#...#
................@........#...#
...(.........................#
.............................#
..>........#.................#
..........#..................##
.......%.....................f###
...............................#.
...>.........%.......#...........

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  An orc warrior (D:6)
  A centaur (D:3)
  An ice beast (D:7)
  A giant frog (D:8)
  2 water moccasins
  3 hounds
  An imp (D:5)
  3 orc priests
  A hound zombie (D:5)
  3 iguanas
  A scorpion (D:6)
  3 orc wizards (D:6)
  A porcupine (Lair:1)
  3 worker ants
  3 gnolls (D:8)
  8 snakes
  2 worms
  A bat zombie (D:6)
  3 giant eyeballs
  2 giant geckos
  2 oozes
  13 orcs
  7 giant cockroaches
  25 goblins
  14 hobgoblins
  18 kobolds
  4 quokkas
  3 small snakes
  21 bats
  7 giant newts
  A hobgoblin skeleton (D:6)
  8 jackals
  An orc zombie (D:8)
  13 rats
  2 toadstools (D:6)
183 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  A spiny frog (Lair:1)
  A sky beast (D:8)
  A centaur (D:5)
  A goliath beetle (D:8)
  An imp (D:7)
  A hound skeleton (D:8)
  A worker ant (D:6)
  A worker ant zombie (D:8)
  Ijyb (D:2)
  4 jellies
  A snake (D:5)
  An iguana zombie (D:5)
  An iguana skeleton (D:3)
  A white imp (D:8)
  An ooze (D:1)
  A kobold (D:1)
  A goblin (D:1)
20 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  9 imps
  An iron imp (D:7)
  6 white imps
  A shadow imp (D:8)
  A bat skeleton (D:1)
  An orc (D:7)
  2 giant newts
  2 goblin skeletons (D:1)
  A goblin zombie (D:1)
  A jackal skeleton (D:6)
  An orc skeleton (D:8)
  2 rats
  22 toadstools
50 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 253 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Kiwi, the Mummy Wizard, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 11/11 MP: 5/5
   680 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Conjurations
   680 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 17/17 MP: 0/7
   887 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
   890 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Call Imp
  1451 | D:1      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  2482 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Summonings
  2666 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 18/22 MP: 6/9
  4158 | D:2      | Noticed Ijyb
  4174 | D:2      | Defeated Ijyb
  4915 | D:2      | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
  4978 | D:2      | Reached skill level 4 in Spellcasting
  5333 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 26/28 MP: 10/12
  6507 | D:3      | Found a snail-covered altar of Cheibriados.
  7427 | D:3      | Noticed a giant frog
  7690 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Throwing
  7826 | D:3      | Found a burning altar of Makhleb.
  8051 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Translocations
  8950 | D:3      | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
  9250 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 12/33 MP: 1/14
 10177 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Slings
 11089 | D:4      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
 11632 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
 11783 | D:5      | Found Sebiosom's Distillery.
 12492 | D:5      | Learned a level 2 spell: Repel Missiles
 12495 | D:5      | Learned a level 2 spell: Slow
 12499 | D:5      | Learned a level 3 spell: Mephitic Cloud
 12557 | D:5      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 36/39 MP: 13/16
 13446 | D:6      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
 14101 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Air Magic
 14101 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Poison Magic
 14101 | D:6      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 44/44 MP: 7/18
 16430 | D:7      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
 16881 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
 16881 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Short Blades
 17599 | D:7      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
 17616 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
 17817 | D:7      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 27/51 MP: 7/19
 18198 | D:7      | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 4 turns
 18489 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
 18581 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Vehumet
 19954 | D:8      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 20289 | D:8      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
 20377 | D:8      | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 21418 | D:8      | Reached skill level 1 in Stabbing
 21592 | D:8      | Learned a level 3 spell: Conjure Flame
 22360 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 22912 | Lair:1   | Got an ichor-stained hammer
 22913 | Lair:1   | Identified the +1,+4 hammer "Psimoehu" (You found it on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts)

Any help would be appreciated :D

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 18:17

-2 gauntlets substract armor, no need to wear them.
i would suggest to try scrolls.
focus on casting, disable stealth (and maybe dodging), you can re-enable them later maybe.
first objective is to survive without a big gun spell until you get the first gift book.
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 19:39

Ah the gloves don't have an intrinsic AC value? I Probably should have tested their value after letting that jelly touch me. Should I focus maybe on str8 conj/air? This is my main problem w wizards especially w a late god I have a hard
Time finding a nuke

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 01:04

Ah I meant I overestimated their intrinsic AC.

I was hoping to get a cloud spell. My problem with wizards is they have no hard damage spell like other backgrounds, though they have excellent utility. I managed to miss the temple until D7 (my fault) so I got a late start on piety. Going to have to be very careful until I get a gift, perhaps I should have gone kiku if finding the temple so late as a mummy. I suppose veh is more of a nuke god while sif is a utility/cloud type it seems.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 01:32

You get plenty of clouds from Veh. On my 3rd MuWz (first died in Elf:5 to me being really stupid, second died early... to me being really stupid) and they are survivable until you are able to get the cloud spells from Veh. This MuWz had a late temple as well and piety gain has been really slow, but I've finally got Pois Cloud and Ice Cloud memorized and at Excellent.

All I can say is when in doubt Spam Imps and run away. I've lucked out with early CTele, so I'm able to do semi controlled blinks for easy retreats, but it isn't a necessity.

Also don't be afraid to drop a branch temporarily and come back with the right tools:

I went D to L, L->L:6 with 3 close stairwells guarded by a pack of death yaks, a pack of elephants, and a Hydra (ya lol talk about going downstairs and saying awwwwh shit). I then went back up to Orc, down to Orc:3 where I ran into too much resistance and had to book it out of there. Then went back to clearing D until I got Freezing Cloud then back to clear out Lair.

Imps are a real lifesaver, dude. I'll usually surround myself with as many as possible before going down a new staircase. Sometimes the enemies will be right next to you, but you'll be more likely to displace some of them (or keep them displaced) so you can get back up and make a move. And like I said before, if I see something that I know will give me trouble (Ice Beasts come to mind) I just spam imps and fall back. Sure I lose a little exp, but I get the piety and I don't die :)

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 09:53

I only think I occasionally casted clouds - to get rid of oklobs in Hive:2 for instance. My offence was chiefly bolt of fire spell. I did not bother with summons altogether.

You can check my dump file here: http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/trunk/h ... ayenne.txt

bobross419 wrote:I went D to L, L->L:6 with 3 close stairwells guarded by a pack of death yaks, a pack of elephants, and a Hydra (ya lol talk about going downstairs and saying awwwwh shit).
Ahh, what a jolly good job it is for Mephitic Cloud! Each game a lot of these folks trample and gore each other to death under player-induced confusion!

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 14:37

bobross419 wrote:Imps are a real lifesaver, dude. I'll usually surround myself with as many as possible before going down a new staircase. Sometimes the enemies will be right next to you, but you'll be more likely to displace some of them (or keep them displaced) so you can get back up and make a move. And like I said before, if I see something that I know will give me trouble (Ice Beasts come to mind) I just spam imps and fall back. Sure I lose a little exp, but I get the piety and I don't die :)

Don't summons give full exp? I always thought they did. Or was that zombies?

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 19:34

I guess summoners are expected to get the finishing blow on enemies then if they can? And necromancers? I had always played them very differently assuming full exp. It seems as if the experience is the same. That would likely make me stop spamming doggies so hard and focus on bigger summons or support

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 19:43

I've never had much success as a dedicated summoner, I usually rely on them for escape or in the case of permanent pets I try to keep them behind me so I can get the kills and fall back or call them in if it looks like I might get in over my head.

I'm still pretty noob though, so what do I know :)

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 19:56

One of my most successful characters was a DESu and I didn't kill nary a rat with my own hands. Maybe that lack of exp would make them seriously hurt in the late game, but also species with poor aptitudes must suffer as well? The summoner start book is amazingly powerful it seems.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 23:37

I see. I have an update on my most recent mummy! I lost a few but I really like the conjurer. I'm working towards freezing cloud (or trying to) it's still useless!

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.10-a0-754-gd03843a character file.

Rex the Ruinous (Mummy Conjurer)                   Turns: 29321, Time: 01:06:17

HP  66/66        AC  3     Str 12      XL: 10   Next:  1%
MP  21/21        EV 13     Int 17      God: Sif Muna [*.....]
Gold 473         SH  0     Dex 12      Spells:  3 memorised, 13 levels left

Res.Fire  : x . .   See Invis. : .    I - staff of conjuration {@w1}
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    H - +0 helmet
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    (no cloak)
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    (no gloves)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    R - -1 pair of boots "Rynoude" {Str+1 Stlth++}

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, quite stealthy
A: no food or potions, fire vulnerability, cold resistance 1, life protection 3,
a: Channel Energy, Renounce Religion

You are on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Sif Muna.
Sif Muna is pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 2 branches of the dungeon, and seen 10 of its levels.

You have collected 453 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 f - an uncursed hand axe of electrocution {@w3}
 o - an uncursed bow
 u - a glowing orcish hammer
 w - a glowing orcish dagger
 E - an uncursed dwarven dagger of venom {@w2}
 F - an uncursed sling
 M - a glowing dagger
Missiles
 e - 94 sling bullets
 g - 34 darts
 l - 45 stones
 p - 8 arrows of frost
 B - 18 arrows
 D - a throwing net
 W - 7 javelins (quivered)
Armour
 a - a +0 robe (worn)
 H - a +0 helmet (worn)
 R - the cursed -1 pair of boots "Rynoude" (worn) {Str+1 Stlth++}
   (You found it on level 8 of the Dungeon)   

It affects your strength (+1).
   It makes you much more stealthy.
   It has a curse placed upon it.
Magical devices
 P - a wand of polymorph other {zapped: 1}
 Q - a long brass wand
 V - a wand of flame {zapped: 1}
Scrolls
 b - 8 scrolls labeled OFISMI CRIFE {tried on cursed +0 robe}
 i - 2 scrolls of remove curse
 x - a scroll of fog
 C - 2 scrolls of amnesia
 G - a scroll of enchant weapon II
 N - 2 scrolls of blinking
 O - a scroll labeled VUG RIYR BOUSU
 S - a scroll labeled SOUPUCVIOH
 T - a scroll labeled ERHIFI SKOSH
 U - a scroll labeled IMUVVAT INIRAY {tried on +0 helmet}
Books
 c - a book of Conjurations   

*Magic Dart                        Conjuration                  1
   *Throw Frost                       Conjuration/Ice              2
   *Mephitic Cloud                    Conjuration/Poison/Air       3
   Lightning Bolt                     Conjuration/Air              5
   Bolt of Cold                       Conjuration/Ice              6
   Freezing Cloud                     Conjuration/Ice/Air          6
 n - a book of Burglary   

Apportation                        Translocation                1
   Swiftness                          Charms/Air                   2
   Passwall                           Transmutation/Earth          3
   Control Teleport                   Charms/Translocation         4
   Lee's Rapid Deconstruction         Earth                        5
   Passage of Golubria                Translocation                4
   Darkness                           Hexes                        7
 L - a book of Fire   

Fire Brand                         Charms/Fire                  2
   Ignite Poison                      Fire/Transmutation           5
   Fireball                           Conjuration/Fire             5
   Bolt of Fire                       Conjuration/Fire             6
   Delayed Fireball                   Conjuration/Fire             7
   Ring of Flames                     Charms/Fire                  7
   Dragon Form                        Fire/Transmutation           8
 X - a leatherbound book
Magical staves
 I - a staff of conjuration (weapon) {@w1}

Skills:
 + Level 3 Fighting
 - Level 1 Short Blades
 - Level 1 Axes
 - Level 1 Maces & Flails
 - Level 1 Staves
 - Level 1 Bows
 - Level 1 Throwing
 + Level 3 Dodging
 - Level 3 Stealth
 - Level 1 Stabbing
 - Level 1 Traps & Doors
 * Level 5 Spellcasting
 * Level 6 Conjurations
 * Level 3 Ice Magic
 * Level 3 Air Magic
 - Level 2 Poison Magic

You have 13 spell levels left.

a - Magic Dart            Conj           #####        Excellent   1    N/A
b - Throw Frost           Ice/Conj       #####..      Excellent   2    N/A
c - Mephitic Cloud        Pois/Air/Conj  ####.....    Very Good   3    N/A

Branches:
Dungeon (8/27)               Lair (2/8) D:8           Swamp (0/5) Lair:2
Temple: D:4-7          Orc: D:6-11     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Kikubaaqudgha
Nemelex Xobeh
Sif Muna
Zin

Portals:
Ziggurat: D:5 (3030 gp)

Annotations
D:6 exclusion: door
D:7 Eustachio, Joseph
Lair:2 exclusions: door, killer bee and 1 more exclusion

You do not eat or drink.

Message History

Confirm with . or Enter, or press ? or * to list all spells.
Aiming: Throw Frost
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - porcupine
Aim: A porcupine (moderately wounded)
You feel a surge of power! The puff of frost hits the porcupine.
You kill the porcupine!
Your Fighting skill increases to level 3!
Casting: Throw Frost
Confirm with . or Enter, or press ? or * to list all spells.
There are no visible monsters within range! (Use Z to cast anyway.)
You see here a porcupine corpse.
You start resting. HP restored.
You start resting.
Your magical contamination has completely faded away.
You start resting.
Magic restored.
Found an animal skin.
Found a scroll of immolation.
A blink frog comes into view.
There is a stone staircase leading up here.

#......<#   .
     #.#.)..##  #...
     #.#....#   #?.##
     #.#....#   #...
##   #.#....#   #..#     #
#.####+.....#####..#####P####
 #......###.............$.....
##......###%.###.#.#.....#
#.......##......@P##.###.....F
##......###.####.....# #....F
 #......#.######.#.### #... . .
 #......P..........##  #..   ...
##......#######...P.####.. .....
#.......##............>#.##.....
##......##.f####.#.#####....#
 #####.#...##  #.#....##%...#
     #####..#  #............#

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  2 blink frogs
  3 centaurs
  A phantom (D:5)
  An orc warrior (D:6)
  An ice beast (D:8)
  A wolf (Lair:1)
  14 big kobolds (D:6)
  An ogre (D:6)
  6 giant frogs
  An electric eel (Lair:2)
  A killer bee zombie (D:6)
  A jellyfish (Lair:2)
  5 imps
  A hound zombie (D:5)
  3 hounds
  2 iguanas
  A hound skeleton (D:5)
  An orc priest (D:6)
  A scorpion (D:5)
  2 orc wizards (D:6)
  4 porcupines
  5 worker ants
  A worker ant zombie (D:5)
  A boggart (Lair:2)
  10 snakes
  8 gnolls
  23 green rats
  A scorpion zombie (D:8)
  3 giant mites
  A snake skeleton (D:5)
  A bat zombie (D:5)
  2 oozes
  23 orcs
  21 bats
  10 giant cockroaches
  30 goblins
  21 hobgoblins
  18 jackals
  7 quokkas
  7 giant geckos
  12 giant newts
  33 kobolds
  An orc skeleton (D:4)
  19 rats
  A rat skeleton (D:4)
  3 small snakes
  12 toadstools
327 creatures vanquished.

A big kobold (D:6)
  A gnoll (D:5)
  A green rat (Lair:1)
  A rat (D:8)
4 creatures vanquished.

3 orcs (D:5)
  A quokka (D:5)
  A giant newt (D:4)
  3 kobolds
  28 toadstools
37 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 368 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Rex, the Mummy Conjurer, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 13/13 MP: 3/3
  1164 | D:1      | Reached skill level 4 in Conjurations
  1164 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 16/19 MP: 0/4
  2746 | D:2      | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
  3113 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 24/24 MP: 3/6
  3480 | D:2      | HP: 1/24 [hobgoblin/club (4)]
  4534 | D:2      | Learned a level 2 spell: Throw Frost
  4538 | D:2      | Learned a level 3 spell: Mephitic Cloud
  6301 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Throwing
  6301 | D:3      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 30/30 MP: 6/8
  8176 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 32/35 MP: 3/9
  9078 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Short Blades
  9678 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
 10329 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
 10659 | D:5      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 41/41 MP: 9/12
 11164 | D:5      | Found a gateway to a ziggurat.
 11812 | D:5      | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
 12075 | D:5      | Reached skill level 1 in Maces & Flails
 12404 | D:5      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 11/46 MP: 9/16
 12805 | D:5      | Reached skill level 1 in Poison Magic
 13100 | D:6      | Found a sparkling altar of Nemelex Xobeh.
 13655 | D:6      | Noticed a big kobold
 13656 | D:6      | Noticed a big kobold
 13746 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 13887 | D:7      | Noticed Joseph
 13889 | D:7      | Noticed Eustachio
 13906 | D:6      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 13954 | D:5      | Reached skill level 1 in Bows
 13954 | D:5      | Reached skill level 1 in Air Magic
 14887 | D:5      | Identified a scroll of acquirement
 15868 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16027 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16320 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16320 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
 16320 | D:6      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 49/53 MP: 6/18
 17852 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 18086 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Ice Magic
 18291 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 18778 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 18778 | D:6      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
 19157 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 19382 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Staves
 19582 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 19792 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 19792 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Stabbing
 20034 | D:6      | Reached skill level 6 in Conjurations
 20315 | D:6      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 49/59 MP: 9/20
 20471 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 20647 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 20876 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 20887 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 20899 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 21356 | D:6      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
 21744 | D:2      | Became a worshipper of Sif Muna the Loreminder
 24296 | D:8      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
 24567 | D:8      | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 24602 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 24785 | D:8      | Got a pair of ichor-stained boots
 24788 | D:8      | Identified the cursed -1 pair of boots "Rynoude" (You found it on level 8 of the Dungeon)
 25675 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 1 in Axes
 27142 | Lair:2   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 28679 | Lair:1   | Acquired Sif Muna's first power
 28975 | Lair:2   | Reached XP level 10. HP: 65/65 MP: 4/21

I think I chose my stats more wisely. Perhaps I should have gone veh so I wouldn't have to start training invocations eventually but meh. God was late I never actually even found the temple. I had several rough levels and a >>> intrance to a floor with eustashio and some other unique and a kobold w/ a blowgun just chilling by the stairs. Barely got out of there (no teleport or blink) but fear did the trick and some good ol' fashioned running for the stairs. I'm glad I found those stealth boots so I don't have to train it anymore (for the time being at least) I have found like no rings / amulets somehow. Also I should probably go look for a buckler eventually too. The spells I am using are very castable. I'd really like freezing cloud though I've never casted that spell it sounds awesome.

<3 mummies

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 08:06

My first mummy win! (15 runes): http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/trunk/h ... 174907.txt

Got a hairy situation on Tomb:3 when I decided to storm it rather than carefully dispel it one-by one and had to use distortion unwield trick.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 09:09

minmay wrote:XP is no longer based on the finishing blow, but on the percentage of damage dealt. So if you take a monster down to half health and then your summons kill it, you get 75% of the XP.

Wow, that explains why I'm having so much success with my summoner-hybrids lately!
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 17:11

hayenne wrote:My first mummy win! (15 runes): http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/trunk/h ... 174907.txt

Got a hairy situation on Tomb:3 when I decided to storm it rather than carefully dispel it one-by one and had to use distortion unwield trick.

What I noticed most was your hyper-specialization in skills. I suppose this is necessary with mummies especially. Most striking to me was your lvl 1 air and poison. Normally I allow all 3 until I get mephetic cloud castable.

Say I wanted to get freezing cloud (for a 3rune win but mostly because I just want to see what that spell is like) on a mummy. What skills should I leave -,+,* and when? So far I have been disabling what I can and leaving on ice, air, and conj, and spellcasting at *. Maybe I can turn spellcasting on + the whole time or at least most of it as mummies don't have to worry about spell hunger, so long as they have a decent amount of mp. But isn't training all 3 the fastest way to get the spell castable? Or would it be better to focus on just one aspect of it. maybe Conj* and spellcasting+ or is the freezing cloud more ice based? I don't know if the parts are weighted evenly or not.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 00:14

Little update on my Mummy adventures for you AtT...

I've gotten 2 MuWz now to Elf:5 and they died there both times. The first time because my Freezing Cloud/Poison Arrow combo didn't do squat against an Executioner. The second time (learned abjuration this time and didn't use it once) I died to a blademaster (one of two of the last guys in the vault) because he didn't die fast enough to any of my spells and my blinks just kept putting me right next to him.

On MuWz 3 now... I've been scumming the first few D levels for extra experience. My best so far is leaving D:1 at ~XL:7.5. I died scumming D:2 at ~XL:9 to a pack of Ogres that I was sure I could handle lol.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 00:21

bobross419 wrote:Little update on my Mummy adventures for you AtT...

I've gotten 2 MuWz now to Elf:5 and they died there both times. The first time because my Freezing Cloud/Poison Arrow combo didn't do squat against an Executioner. The second time (learned abjuration this time and didn't use it once) I died to a blademaster (one of two of the last guys in the vault) because he didn't die fast enough to any of my spells and my blinks just kept putting me right next to him.

On MuWz 3 now... I've been scumming the first few D levels for extra experience. My best so far is leaving D:1 at ~XL:7.5. I died scumming D:2 at ~XL:9 to a pack of Ogres that I was sure I could handle lol.

eheh. I don't really know proper scumming technique. Do you just walk around or is there a shortcut or something? I'll give it a try on some levels for a bit but I don't think I have the patients to sit around forever. They stop regenerating eventually anyway eh?

Elf:5... o.o I've never BEEN in Elf :P but I'm getting better I can fairly regularly make it to the lair with mummys now

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 00:41

I'm not sure of "proper" scumming techniques. Here is how I do it though...

Clear the level. Find the best downstairs to defend (I look for something with a lot of open area around it), then I go downstairs and make sure the surrounding area is clear. Then I go back up and just hold down the 5 key until something shows up. If its easy I'll kill it. If I think my imps can take it I'll spam a bunch and let them do it. If its something I know I can't take I just go downstairs.

The key for me is to stay on the staircase and bug out if I'm not confident either myself or spammed imps can kill something. I've seen all manner of things from Fire Elementals to a green troll (don't remember what they're called) to Ogre packs to Centaur Warriors. Once I get my god I stop though because I don't want the piety loss over time to kick in.

For this message the author bobross419 has received thanks:
AtT

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 01:00

Yea first thing I did when I read that mummies didn't eat was look for a god they could worship that had increasing piety over time (obviously this was thought of)

I'll try that some time. I could do it a lot as I never get my god at a decent time lol

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 01:02

AtT wrote:Yea first thing I did when I read that mummies didn't eat was look for a god they could worship that had increasing piety over time (obviously this was thought of)

I'll try that some time. I could do it a lot as I never get my god at a decent time lol

LOL, this will almost guarantee an early altar due to the immutable laws :D

Working on a MuWz>Kiku>Veh>Summoner right now to see if I can get this to work for me :)

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 01:09

Best of luck. What a world when I have to threaten scumming to get my alter :P

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 03:03

With care it really isn't that bad. I killed plenty of OOD monsters with imp spam for good exp. And I'm really losing nothing by cutting and running. Holding down the 5 key for 5-10 seconds isn't that big of a deal either. Monsters seem to stop spawning around 30k turns but you can have plenty of non-OOD monsters spawning in amongst those OOD as well.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 03:26

I've just been doing it on levels I won't need to return to until I see something scary or get a god.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 13:19

AtT wrote:Say I wanted to get freezing cloud (for a 3rune win but mostly because I just want to see what that spell is like) on a mummy. What skills should I leave -,+,* and when?

I was able to cast Freezing Cloud at Good or Very Good (with staff of wizardry and Vehumet) by the time I reached Elf:5 which I used to kill all the nasties there. With sufficient conjurations and spellcasting, you won't need any other skills for mephitic. I managed my way to Lair with Mephitic at 'Good' or so (but that's just me - I am still a mediocre player and learning).

The problem with exp investment spread is that you might realise you're already standing near the Hells and your main attack spell is still Ozo refrigeration/bolt of cold (happened to me once when I played Sif mummy). I wanted some more firepower early and went straight for storm which was my focus.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 16:45

My biggest trouble is knowing when to turn what skills on. I feel like I really could use some stealth maybe after i get mephetic cloud I should turn and leave stealth back on. Not sure what to do about fighting either.

I've been trying going ash lately and he seems to give a nice bonus to mummy weakness but I haven't decided if it's worth it. I generally at the start get a few conj levels then a spellcasting then a conj or two then a spellcasting. Maybe after that I should spread out/focus in a school and turn stealth on. (also I tend to pop stealth and dodging up to lvl 2 fairly early as they start around 90-95%. I should also turn dodging on eventually maybe after i get lightning bolt castable? (playing conjurer still)

I usually want to go straight for storm but Im not sure the best way to do it and I tend to die before then anyway

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 02:47

Hey AtT, little update on my progess with mummies.

After a few more failed starts with MuWz I decided to roll up a MuNe -> Kiku -> Summoner -> Sif. So far he is doing pretty well. The Kiku->Sif swap was boring but not bad whatsoever and I had enough Kiku piety by Orc:2 for me to get a Pain brand (already found 2 books with Haunt in it) stuck on a whip for beefy pain melee.

At this point I've got a whole fleet of Aboms just chilling in Temple, more running around Lair:2 with my stash and a few sprinkled throughout as I got tired of shuffling them across stairs. I've also got Shadow Creatures, Summon Demon, and Haunt castable which makes for some insane screen coverage of little hearts just for me.

Drops haven't been too good for me so far, but there is a nice +3 Steam Dragon Armor randart in a shop just waiting for me to earn some more cash. rElec, rF+, Lev on it so I'll be able to stop carrying around an extra ring and a cloak with some extra AC a little GDR at the cost of rC+. Not too shabby.

My spell progression was Pain, Vampiric Draining, Raise Dead, Animate Dead, Dispel Undead, Agony, Twisted Resurrection, Recall, Shadow Creatures, Summon Demon, Abjuration, Summon Demon, Haunt. I also spent a large part of the early game with a Blowgun wielded for big nasties like Ogres - Pois Dart as they close then just keep stepping away.

I'm definitely feeling the impact of letting my summons do the dirty work, but two casts of Agony is enough to get most creatures into the Orange for a decent chunk of the exp. Plus I try to keep them behind me if I feel confident I can kill something with my pain whip + Vampiric Draining.

This build might be worth a try for you if you're still having trouble with the MuWz or MuCo. You lose the crowd control from Meph Cloud and Imps, but Pain seems to be a much more reliable damage dealer than Magic Darts to creatures that are affected. Once you're able to cast Animate and Dispel Undead you've got the early game pretty much locked down.

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9.1-1-gec69250 character file.

GettingFuckingTiredOfThisShit the Necromancer (Mummy Necromancer)                         Turns: 142921, Time: 06:20:30

HP 124/124       AC  8     Str 14      XL: 16   Next: 83%
MP  36/36        EV 11     Int 27      God: Sif Muna [******]
Gold 1436        SH 11     Dex 13      Spells: 10 memorised,  2 levels left

Res.Fire  : + . .   See Invis. : +    P - +2,+3 orc whip (pain)
Res.Cold  : + + .   Warding    : . .  t - +1 orc robe {rC+ rF+}
Life Prot.: + + +   Conserve   : .    s - +0 elf buckler
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    I - +0 wizard hat of Happiness {Dex+1 Int+5 Da
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    g - +1 cloak {MR}
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    a - +1 pair of gloves "Okaar" {Str+3 Int+3}
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    m - +0 pair of dwarf boots
Res.Rott. : +       Levitation : .    X - ring of protection from fire
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    d - ring of see invisible

@: very resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: no food or potions, fire vulnerability, in touch with death, cold resistance 1, life protection 3, poison resistance,
torment resistance, unbreathing
a: Self-Restoration, Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion

You are on level 16 of the Dungeon.
You worship Sif Muna.
Sif Muna is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 6 branches of the dungeon, and seen 34 of its levels.
You have visited 1 Labyrinth.
You have visited 3 portal chambers: ossuary, bailey, ice cave.

You have collected 3381 gold pieces.
You have spent 1965 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 n - an uncursed scimitar of flaming
 P - a +2,+3 orcish whip of pain (weapon)
Armour
 a - the +1 pair of gloves "Okaar" (worn) {Str+3 Int+3}
   (You acquired it on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It affects your strength (+3).
   It affects your intelligence (+3).
 g - a +1 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
 k - the +1 cloak "Luidin" {rElec}
   (You acquired it on level 9 of the Dungeon)   

It insulates you from electricity.
 m - a +0 pair of dwarven boots (worn)
 s - a +0 elven buckler (worn)
 t - a +1 orcish robe of resistance (worn)
 I - the +0 wizard hat of Happiness (worn) {Dex+1 Int+5 Dam+4}
   (You found it in an ice cave)   

It affects your intelligence (+5).
   It affects your dexterity (+1).
   It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
Magical devices
 e - a wand of frost
 j - a wand of disintegration {zapped: 1}
 o - a wand of healing (5)
 r - a wand of digging {zapped: 4}
 u - a wand of teleportation (7)
Scrolls
 b - 3 scrolls of identify
 c - a scroll of torment
 f - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
 i - 8 scrolls of remove curse
 l - 7 scrolls of teleportation
 E - 5 scrolls of fog
 U - 5 scrolls of fear
 Y - 5 scrolls of detect curse
Jewellery
 d - a ring of see invisible (left hand)
 h - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 y - a cursed +2 ring of intelligence
 L - an uncursed ring of magical power
 M - a cursed ring of teleportation
 O - an uncursed ring of levitation
 X - a ring of protection from fire (right hand)

Skills:
 + Level 14 Fighting
 - Level 1 Long Blades
 - Level 1 Maces & Flails
 - Level 1 Staves
 - Level 1 Throwing
 - Level 1 Dodging
 - Level 2 Stealth
 - Level 1 Stabbing
 - Level 6 Shields
 - Level 1 Traps & Doors
 + Level 14 Spellcasting
 + Level 12 Summonings
 - Level 16 Necromancy
 + Level 2 Translocations
 + Level 3 Invocations
 - Level 1 Evocations

You have 2 spell levels left.

a - Pain                  Necr           #####        Perfect     1    N/A
b - Vampiric Draining     Necr           #########.   Perfect     3    N/A
c - Haunt                 Summ/Necr      ########..   Great       7    N/A
d - Dispel Undead         Necr           #########    Excellent   4    N/A
e - Recall                Tloc/Summ      N/A          Excellent   3    N/A
f - Agony                 Necr           #########    Excellent   5    N/A
g - Twisted Resurrection  Necr           #########.   Excellent   5    N/A
h - Shadow Creatures      Summ           N/A          Excellent   5    N/A
i - Summon Demon          Summ           #######...   Excellent   5    N/A
j - Abjuration            Summ           #######...   Excellent   3    N/A

Branches:
Dungeon (18/27)            Temple (1/1) D:5             Orc (4/4) D:11
    Elf (0/5) Orc:4          Lair (8/8) D:8          Shoals (0/5) Lair:6
  Slime (0/6) Lair:8        Snake (0/5) Lair:4         Hive (2/2) D:11
  Vault (1/8) D:15       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
Beogh

Shops:
D:4: /  D:14: *  D:15: *%  D:16: [  Orc:4: +([*+

Annotations
D:16 Great Steam Dragon Armor 1700

You do not eat or drink.
You are in touch with the powers of death.
You can restore your body by infusing magical energy.

How've you been progressing with your mummies?

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 02:37

Not as well as you apparently lol but I've had some fairly successful runs with IEs. I've been real busy studying for exams and all that but I should get some decent play time after I'm done with bio.

I was trying to start with a summoner and transfer over to some necro capabilities but apparently Kiku doesn't like living pet kills, and neither does Yred (damn it wiki..). I was trying to get a guaranteed summoning book AND zombies but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. I think instead maybe I'll try a MuSu of Sif. With energy channeling it should be possible to just stream in summons at a (hopefully) strong enough rate to take out whatever is necessary, provided I can get the positioning right.

I'm curious in the order you developed your skills. I tend to leave only one on at a time but push back fighting (probably) farther back than I should. Still though, a summoner *should* need less health than a necro so maybe some of those points would go better into creating a larger mana pool.

I also would be interested in knowing how well Ash's buffs transfer over to summons. It seems to me that with more monsters, the value of his abilities would increase drastically. I plan on trying Sif first though (as Kiku and Yred are apparently a nono)

I would also love to find a way to get spammals and inner fire on the same character.

I think I'll try a necromancer next though I doubt if I can pull off the Kiku switch properly. Still though, I am inspired.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 03:13

Well, the above character died shortly thereafter due to me being waaaaaaay too tired and not paying attention. A few more false starts after him with MuNe, but I'm on another roll with a MuNe of Kiku. Will be doing the Kiku -> Sif switch soon. I've considered swapping to Vehumet if I can find a staff of channeling at least until he's gifted me his books, then another chill session in Temple and a final switch to Sif.

Kiku wrath is easy peasy to deal with. I lucked out with a temple that has water all around the outside. I stood next to the water with about 50 or so abominations crowded around me. I only had to kill maybe 5 or 6 monsters that didn't die immediately upon hitting the water. The rest of the time I just did a 0, 20, 5 and read the forums... until I read all the unread then I checked my facebook... Then hit Random Page on the wiki for a while. Kiku wrath really was a joke.

As for my skills I've been turning off everything but Nec and Spellcasting until Nec is about 7-10 then I turn on fighting. Once I get recall in the 2nd kiku book I memorize it and pre-dance Summoning then turn it on. That is basically it until I make the swap to Sif where I'll train some Invocations. Shields I trained up when I found a buckler, don't remember when but I turned it off when it was at 6 (would have turned it off at 5 but I forgot to check 'm'). Translocations I was beginning to train up for Controlled Blink. I turned off Necro at 16 because it didn't look like I'd see any real benefit from taking it higher. Agony, pain, and Vampiric Draining were all at max # and Haunt would increase the last two # off of Summoning which I had planned to leave on for Summon Dragon and Greater Demon down the line.

I focused on just Spellcasting, Necro, and Fighting early so that I could increase my spell power and get Haunt castable quicker. Once I had Haunt things were extremely easy and I only died because I fought a floating pink blob with a bunch of eyes that ended up confusing me (i was too tired to notice) and I hit one of my Large Aboms and it decided to beat me to a bloody pulp.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 09:01

Oh boy. Another MuNe->Kiku->Sif->Summoner. This time with Haunt and Demonic Horde at Excellent. DH isn't super strong, but it is like a strong version of Spammals. And it spawns a veritable horde hehe. I got a Bailey right after learning DH (Haunt was already memmed) and it was just lauhable. It was a lot of Gnolls, Hobgoblins, and Orc/Orc Warrior, so it was pretty hilarious to see everything get mowed down by a wrecking crew.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 10:46

Ooo I'm gonna have to try that one. I'm currently doing pretty well on a MuSu

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9.1 character file.

Eli the Summoner (Mummy Summoner)                  Turns: 25836, Time: 01:35:16

HP  73/73 (74)   AC  7     Str 11      XL: 11   Next: 22%
MP  27/27        EV 11     Int 17      God: Sif Muna [****..]
Gold 992         SH  0     Dex 12      Spells:  6 memorised, 12 levels left

Res.Fire  : x . .   See Invis. : .      - Unarmed
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    t - +0 cap
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    x - +0 dwarf cloak
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    s - +0 pair of gauntlets
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    m - +2 pair of boots

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy
a: Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion

You are on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Sif Muna.
Sif Muna is extremely pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 14 of its levels.

You have collected 972 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 e - a bow of frost
 k - a short sword of freezing
 l - a +0,+2 mace of protection
 A - an uncursed bow of evasion
 B - a runed orcish blowgun
 M - the cursed +6,+5 hammer "Hiesat" {slay orc, MR}
   (You found it on level 10 of the Dungeon)   

It is especially effective against all of orcish descent.

It increases your resistance to enchantments.
   It has a curse placed upon it.
 Q - an uncursed blowgun
 U - an uncursed whip of flaming
Missiles
 d - 24 runed arrows
 g - 13 darts (quivered)
 i - 29 runed arrows
 v - 16 runed arrows
 C - 21 arrows of frost
 D - a javelin of penetration
 L - 27 arrows
 R - 61 poisoned needles
 S - 4 poisoned darts
 T - 6 curare-tipped needles
Armour
 a - a +0 robe (worn)
 m - a +2 pair of boots (worn)
 s - a +0 pair of gauntlets (worn)
 t - a +0 cap (worn)
 x - a +0 dwarven cloak (worn)
 I - an embroidered cloak
Magical devices
 n - a curved silver wand {tried}
 u - a wand of draining {empty}
 y - a wand of polymorph other {zapped: 2}
 E - a wand of fire (0)
 F - a lead wand
 H - a shiny fluorescent wand {zapped: 1} {tried}
 K - a curved silver wand {zapped: 1} {tried}
 P - a wand of polymorph other
 X - a wand of paralysis {zapped: 2}
Scrolls
 f - 12 scrolls of identify
 h - 4 scrolls of detect curse
 j - a scroll labeled CUFALU WUINEI {tried}
 o - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 p - 4 scrolls of enchant armour
 q - a scroll of fog
 r - 5 scrolls of remove curse
 w - 2 scrolls of amnesia
 N - 3 scrolls labeled RECAEVOPNI {tried on +0,+2 mace of protection}
Jewellery
 Z - a +2 ring of dexterity
Books
 b - a book of Callings   

*Summon Small Mammals              Summoning                    1
   *Call Imp                          Summoning                    2
   *Call Canine Familiar              Summoning                    3
   *Summon Scorpions                  Summoning/Poison             4
   *Summon Ice Beast                  Ice/Summoning                4
 c - a Grand Grimoire {highlevel}   
   This book is beyond your current level of understanding.

Demonic Horde                      Summoning                    6
   Haunt                              Necromancy/Summoning         7
   Summon Greater Demon               Summoning                    7
   Malign Gateway                     Summoning/Translocation      7
   Summon Horrible Things             Summoning                    8
 J - the Collected Works on Congealing Good Luck
   (You found it on level 9 of the Dungeon)   

Freeze                             Ice                          1
   Shroud of Golubria                 Charms/Translocation         2
   Throw Icicle                       Conjuration/Ice              4
   *Summon Ice Beast                  Ice/Summoning                4
   Warp Weapon                        Charms/Translocation         5
 O - a book of Fire   

Fire Brand                         Charms/Fire                  2
   Ignite Poison                      Fire/Transmutation           5
   Bolt of Fire                       Conjuration/Fire             6
   Fireball                           Conjuration/Fire             6
   Delayed Fireball                   Conjuration/Fire             7
   Ring of Flames                     Charms/Fire                  7
   Dragon Form                        Fire/Transmutation           8
 V - a book of Burglary   

Apportation                        Translocation                1
   *Swiftness                         Charms/Air                   2
   Passwall                           Transmutation/Earth          3
   Lee's Rapid Deconstruction         Earth                        5
   Passage of Golubria                Translocation                4
   Darkness                           Hexes                        7

Skills:
 + Level 5 Fighting
 - Level 1 Short Blades
 - Level 1 Maces & Flails
 - Level 1 Staves
 - Level 1 Dodging
 - Level 2 Stealth
 - Level 1 Stabbing
 + Level 3 Traps & Doors
 - Level 1 Unarmed Combat
 * Level 9 Spellcasting
 - Level 1 Charms
 * Level 9 Summonings
 - Level 1 Ice Magic
 - Level 1 Air Magic
 - Level 1 Poison Magic
 + Level 4 Invocations
 - Level 1 Evocations

You have 12 spell levels left.

a - Summon Small Mammals  Summ           #####        Excellent   1    N/A
b - Call Imp              Summ           ######....   Excellent   2    N/A
c - Call Canine Familiar  Summ           ######....   Excellent   3    N/A
d - Summon Scorpions      Pois/Summ      ####......   Very Good   4    N/A
e - Summon Ice Beast      Ice/Summ       ####......   Very Good   4    N/A
f - Swiftness             Air/Chrm       ###.......   Very Good   2    N/A

Branches:
Dungeon (12/27)            Temple (1/1) D:5             Orc (0/4) D:7
   Lair (1/8) D:12           Hive (0/2) D:11       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin

Shops:
D:8: (

You do not eat or drink.

Message History

You swap places.
Magic restored.
Your jackal disappears in a puff of smoke!
Your hound disappears in a puff of smoke!
You see here a green rat corpse.
Found a pink potion.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Done exploring.
Things that are here:
a chunk of green rat flesh; a green rat skeleton
There is a stone staircase leading down here.
Welcome back, Eli the Mummy Summoner.
Sif Muna whispers: I know many secrets...
Press ? for a list of commands and other information.

############  ######
......##...#  #.@..##
......##...## #hh...#
.......#....# #..)..##
.....P#####.###......#
......##  #..#......##
......P#  #.###.....#
.......#  #.# #.....##
###...## ##.# #.###..#
####..#  #..# #..#..##

You can see a friendly wolf and a friendly jackal.

Vanquished Creatures
  A giant goldfish (D:6)
  5 big kobolds (D:6)
  2 killer bees
  A worker ant (D:6)
  An orc wizard (D:4)
  2 snakes
  2 giant mites
  An iguana zombie (D:7)
  3 giant geckos
  An orc (D:4)
  4 giant cockroaches
  9 goblins
  8 hobgoblins
  13 jackals
  13 kobolds
  A quokka (D:3)
  10 bats
  4 giant newts
  A giant spore (D:6)
  A jackal zombie (D:5)
  12 rats
  4 small snakes
  5 toadstools
104 creatures vanquished.

Gastronok (D:8)
  Jozef (D:12)
  Josephine (D:12)
  A hill giant (D:12)
  Pikel (D:7)
  Urug (D:11)
  A hydra skeleton (D:12)
  3 weapon mimics (D:11)
  A wolf spider (D:12)
  A spiny frog (Lair:1)
  A troll (D:12)
  A queen bee (D:8)
  3 giant toads
  A komodo dragon (Lair:1)
  9 yaks
  3 hippogriffs
  Grum (D:8)
  2 war dogs (D:8)
  Edmund (D:8)
  A komodo dragon skeleton (D:12)
  2 slaves (D:7)
  2 sky beasts (D:6)
  2 orc warriors (D:11)
  3 phantoms
  2 giant goldfish
  8 ogres
  11 centaurs
  A crocodile (Lair:1)
  A centaur zombie (D:12)
  8 big kobolds
  A water moccasin zombie (D:5)
  3 giant frogs
  A jellyfish (D:6)
  11 wights
  A killer bee zombie (D:12)
  28 killer bees
  A vampire bat (Lair:1)
  A brain worm zombie (D:12)
  2 goliath beetles
  8 imps
  A big kobold zombie (D:12)
  A big fish (D:11)
  3 hound skeletons
  12 scorpions
  4 worker ants
  An orc priest (D:4)
  A shadow (D:7)
  5 hounds
  An iguana (D:11)
  A worker ant zombie (D:10)
  9 orc wizards
  2 worm zombies (D:6)
  A porcupine (Lair:1)
  8 jellies
  2 mummies
  3 gnolls (D:8)
  5 green rats (Lair:1)
  4 snakes
  A snake zombie (D:5)
  3 worms
  2 giant mites
  2 spectral bats (Lair:1)
  A bat simulacrum (Lair:1)
  3 bat skeletons (Lair:1)
  A bat zombie (Lair:1)
  A giant eyeball (D:7)
  3 giant geckos
  3 oozes
  24 orcs
  3 fire bats (Lair:1)
  7 giant cockroaches
  10 goblins
  11 hobgoblins
  24 jackals
  7 quokkas
  14 bats
  2 giant newts
  23 kobolds
  A kobold zombie (D:6)
  2 orc skeletons (D:11)
  5 rats
  A rat skeleton (D:5)
  A small snake (D:2)
  5 butterflies
  A plant (D:2)
357 creatures vanquished.

25 war dogs
  4 ice beasts
  5 wolves
  A warg (Lair:1)
  5 big kobold zombies (D:6)
  13 imps
  A human zombie (D:9)
  63 hounds
  15 scorpions
  A hound skeleton (D:5)
  An iron imp (D:4)
  An orc wizard (D:3)
  2 snake zombies
  10 shadow imps
  23 white imps
  A grey rat (D:5)
  A bat zombie (D:5)
  134 jackals
  4 quokkas
  A bat (D:1)
  A giant cockroach zombie (D:6)
  2 giant geckos
  A giant newt (D:4)
  2 hobgoblin zombies (D:6)
  A jackal zombie (D:3)
  3 kobolds
  6 kobold zombies (D:6)
  2 orc zombies
  A quokka zombie (D:3)
  6 rats
  A rat skeleton (D:5)
  A rat zombie (D:3)
  A plant (D:11)
  33 toadstools
373 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 834 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Eli, the Mummy Summoner, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 13/13 MP: 3/3
   444 | D:1      | Reached skill level 4 in Summonings
   815 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 16/19 MP: 4/4
  2024 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
  2030 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Call Imp
  2148 | D:1      | Reached skill level 1 in Short Blades
  2427 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 24/24 MP: 5/5
  9133 | D:1      | Noticed a centaur warrior
  9445 | D:2      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  9741 | D:3      | Reached skill level 1 in Staves
 10096 | D:3      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 28/30 MP: 8/8
 10944 | D:3      | Learned a level 3 spell: Call Canine Familiar
 11166 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 30/35 MP: 8/10
 13188 | D:4      | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet.
 13217 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Summonings
 13217 | D:4      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 41/41 MP: 1/12
 13515 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Stabbing
 13515 | D:4      | HP: 1/41 [orc priest/divine providence (11)]
 14185 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
 14185 | D:5      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
 14364 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
 14442 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Sif Muna the Loreminder
 14915 | D:5      | Reached skill level 1 in Maces & Flails
 14915 | D:5      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 37/46 MP: 6/16
 15837 | D:6      | Acquired Sif Muna's first power
 15849 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
 16347 | D:6      | Noticed a big kobold
 16348 | D:6      | Noticed a big kobold
 16351 | D:6      | Noticed a big kobold
 16355 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16355 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Invocations
 16356 | D:6      | Noticed a big kobold
 16357 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16357 | D:6      | Reached skill level 6 in Summonings
 16357 | D:6      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 54/54 MP: 7/18
 16357 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16357 | D:6      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
 16389 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16423 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16423 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16445 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16448 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16467 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16470 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 16481 | D:6      | Defeated a big kobold
 17385 | D:7      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 17404 | D:7      | Noticed Pikel
 17414 | D:7      | Defeated Pikel
 17510 | D:7      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
 17582 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 60/60 MP: 2/20
 17986 | D:7      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 18173 | D:8      | Found Aduzia's Weapon Shoppe.
 18175 | D:8      | Noticed Grum
 18373 | D:8      | Noticed Gastronok
 18384 | D:8      | Defeated Gastronok
 18384 | D:8      | Acquired Sif Muna's second power
 18384 | D:8      | Reached skill level 7 in Summonings
 18384 | D:8      | Reached skill level 1 in Evocations
 18392 | D:8      | Noticed Edmund
 18394 | D:8      | Defeated Edmund
 18511 | D:8      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
 18568 | D:8      | Defeated Grum
 19118 | D:8      | Noticed a queen bee
 19146 | D:8      | Defeated a queen bee
 19267 | D:7      | Learned a level 2 spell: Call Imp
 19822 | D:9      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 67/67 MP: 5/23
 20347 | D:9      | Got a conspicuous book
 20348 | D:9      | Identified the Collected Works on Congealing Good Luck (You found it on level 9 of the Dungeon)
 20505 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 20926 | D:10     | Got a crystal hammer
 20927 | D:10     | Identified the cursed +6,+5 hammer "Hiesat" (You found it on level 10 of the Dungeon)
 21668 | D:11     | Reached skill level 8 in Summonings
 21837 | D:11     | Learned a level 4 spell: Summon Scorpions
 21855 | D:11     | Learned a level 4 spell: Summon Ice Beast
 21922 | D:11     | Noticed Urug
 22266 | D:11     | Reached skill level 1 in Unarmed Combat
 22360 | D:11     | Learned a level 3 spell: Call Canine Familiar
 22398 | D:11     | Defeated Urug
 22424 | D:11     | Learned a level 2 spell: Swiftness
 22752 | D:11     | Reached skill level 1 in Poison Magic
 22944 | D:11     | Found a staircase to the Hive.
 23447 | D:12     | Noticed Josephine
 23929 | D:11     | Reached skill level 9 in Summonings
 24157 | D:12     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 24257 | D:12     | Defeated Josephine
 24257 | D:12     | Reached skill level 1 in Charms
 24257 | D:12     | Reached skill level 1 in Ice Magic
 24257 | D:12     | Reached skill level 1 in Air Magic
 24537 | D:12     | Acquired Sif Muna's third power
 24611 | D:12     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 72/72 MP: 0/26
 24688 | D:12     | Noticed Jozef
 24934 | D:12     | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
 24978 | D:12     | Defeated Jozef
 25041 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts

Once you get a few levels of invo you can just chill and spam summon. Since some summons last quite a while, you can gradually increase the numbers pretty ridiculous. I decided to leave fighting on though because wands can still break the pack and hit me :P I stumbled upon a Grand Grimoire so.. just in case I don't YASD, I'll actually be pretty set!

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 11:15

Oh very nice. If you can get Haunt castable its the bee's knees. Its smite-targetted on the enemy so its a great attack spell.

From what I've read on Sif's channeling you want to stop at 4 or 8 invo as it goes by multiples of 4. About the point that you're at skills wise is when I've been able to start training Summoning.

I'm wondering what high level Summoning spells I should be working towards. Summon Greater Demon sounds nice until you find out that they are likely to turn on you. Summon Horrible things doesn't seem all that great considering that Large Aboms are obsolete after Vault:8. Summon Dragon looks nice, but I've heard that Summon Hydra doesn't last very long. Its starting to seem like Nec and Sum will be great for a 3 rune game, but might peter out if I try for more.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 15:10

I'm not sure - you're farther than I've ever been. I think maybe letting summons do all the work will catch up with you eventually. At least if you start as a summoner. Haunt doesn't go forbasicallyever? I always thought it was an endgame spell
Next

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice