buy books with Sif Muna?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 1st February 2019, 14:34

buy books with Sif Muna?

I'm running a Barachi Summoner ^ Sif Muna, in Lair, and so far I've been given 3 completely irrelevant books. I could buy a book containing the spell Summon Hydra, but it would cost me most of my gold (715 gp), and buying books with Sif Muna just seems ...wrong...

Would you advice buying the book?

Here's my character dump: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/petercordia/petercordia.txt

Barkeep

Post Friday, 1st February 2019, 15:39

Re: buy books with Sif Muna?

Will it help you survive better than any other item currently available in a shop? Buy it.

Sif might never gift it to you. You might not find a more useful item in a shop all game.

Or Sif might gift it to you next and you might find a shop with something awesome for 600 gold almost immediately.

But generally: Don't hoard resources. Power now is better than power later.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 1st February 2019, 16:11

I would recommend against buying it now. You should focus on raising Fighting, Dodging, Evo and Stealth imo before thinking of getting new spells. Your Ice beasts + spire are more than up to the task right now and will still be for a while. Get it later if you still need it.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Barkeep

Post Friday, 1st February 2019, 16:28

Yeah, I should clarify that you should only buy something now if it will help you survive *now.* If Summon Hydra isn't a good spell for this char at this time, absolutely wait. That book isn't going anywhere.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 2nd February 2019, 01:30

Thanks for the advise

I decided to continue clearing Lair until it got difficult, because I didn't want to walk all the way to the shop. As it turned out, Sif gave me Malign Gateway, which has proven so powerful that I don't need Summon Hydra right now. Summon Hydra is at 2% fail right now, mostly because of my very nice artefact +7 int leather armour. I'll buy it if I ever think I need it.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 2nd February 2019, 13:39

In case anyone is interested, I was eventually killed by my own Malign Gateway. The tentacle didn't land the killing blow, but it brought me to low hp and then cast me into the abyss. I guess I wasn't going to learn to be careful with the spell any other way :lol:

here's the morgue: https://underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/petercordia/morgue-petercordia-20190202-133138.txt

For this message the author petercordia has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, Fingolfin

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 2nd February 2019, 15:51

Malign Gateway is very powerful, I think it can attack out of LOS so the best way to use it is to cast it and back off.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 2nd February 2019, 22:28

Wait, the tentacle can attack you? I used it a lot recently and I never noticed this.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2019, 09:35

@Magipi yeah, I think it turns neutral after a number of turns and attacks anything and anyone.
There is always something new to learn.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice