Riposte???

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 18th January 2019, 15:30

Riposte???

Fencers gloves +0 or Gloves of dex +2 ?
Fencers gloves increase chance of long blade ripostes, says the wiki.
I currently like using holy long blades in extended so there is no reason to go with the Dex gloves, right?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th January 2019, 16:13

Re: Riposte???

It's unlikely that the dex gloves contribute significantly, riposte gloves are probably slightly more significant, although not a giant deal either.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 19th January 2019, 19:02

Yeah, if you feel ok losing 2 AC, the minor effect of more ripostes is good.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th January 2019, 21:37

Airwolf wrote:Yeah, if you feel ok losing 2 AC, the minor effect of more ripostes is good.

I had kind of assumed that there were 2 enchant armour scrolls somewhere if he's in extended, maybe that's a bad assumption, 2 AC is usually better than either the dex or the riposte,
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
HANFGEIST

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 20th January 2019, 05:20

I would go riposte if I had a lot of AC already, especially if its 2H long blade so then you dont have a shield to deny ripostes. Or screw it, it's more fun to have a ton of ripostes and its more fun to use unrands, try it out just cause.

But I agree with everyone else in that the riposte isn't a big deal. Is that really the best two gloves you found thus far?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th January 2019, 07:30

Specifically in extended 2ac is not a big deal comparing to riposte because
1) there are many attacks which ignore ac completely
2) most PC have high EV so AC is not as important as it was early/middle game
3) most PC use highly enchanted weapons with high weapon skill and fighting so usefulness of extra attacks increases, it is not too rare to see some monsters completely destroyed by a single riposte
4) frequency of ripostes increases because player attacks more often and has higher Str/Dex.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
RoGGa

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd January 2019, 14:29

Siegurt wrote:
Airwolf wrote:Yeah, if you feel ok losing 2 AC, the minor effect of more ripostes is good.

I had kind of assumed that there were 2 enchant armour scrolls somewhere if he's in extended, maybe that's a bad assumption, 2 AC is usually better than either the dex or the riposte,

I would never read an EA scroll on the Fencer's Gloves, since I figured they were an artefact. Thanks for clearing up this baseless misconception! And thanks everyone for weighing in!

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 23rd January 2019, 15:52

HANFGEIST wrote:
Siegurt wrote:

I would never read an EA scroll on the Fencer's Gloves, since I figured they were an artefact. Thanks for clearing up this baseless misconception! And thanks everyone for weighing in!

They ARE an artifact and can't be enchanted. At least in 0.22.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd January 2019, 18:22

byrel wrote:
HANFGEIST wrote:I would never read an EA scroll on the Fencer's Gloves, since I figured they were an artefact. Thanks for clearing up this baseless misconception! And thanks everyone for weighing in!

They ARE an artifact and can't be enchanted. At least in 0.22.

That's right, I forgot, it's been so long since I've seen them, yes. Nvm, I'd personally (very slightly) rather have 2 AC than fencers most of the time (unless my aux attacks were particularly potent) I don't know why I was thinking fencers was an ordinary ego like strength or dex, I will arbitrarily blame it on posting while tired or distracted :)

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 24th January 2019, 09:33

All right! :D

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice