Useful Macros

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 7th November 2018, 19:39

Useful Macros

Hey there, in this thread we share macros (made with ctrl+D or shift+`) that make our Crawling lives easier
  • Macro your number row to spell casts. E.g. 1 = Za, 2 = Zs, 3 = Zd, etc (except for '5', since that's reserved for long rest; and '0', since that's reserved for command repeats). Then '=s' adjust your main spells to the home row keys (asdfghjk) so it's easier to remember which spell goes with which number key. If you don't use Vi keys movement, also macro y = Zy, b = Zb, u = Zu and n = Zn. This gives you 12 keys to easily cast your most used spells, which should be plenty. This is a set of macros I set immediately each time I have to reinstall Crawl, and use all the time for spell casters.
  • Macro number pad '+' to 'o' (autoexplore). Another one I use a lot, since I'm part of the numpad movement camp and my right hand is there 90% of the time anyway; better than reaching awkwardly over with either hand to press 'o'
  • Not exactly an ingame macro, but an AutoHotKey one. This is for spamming the staff of channeling safely without getting accidently YASDed from a heavy hitting monster coming up on you suddenly doing it the manual way of holding down 'v' :evil:
    . I bound this macro to numpad minus since that's only used to access the doll editor (which can be accessed through number row minus as well) though you could map it to another key if you'd like. You can look at the macro code but basically it works by using the repeat command button (numrow zero) to repeat e'v'oking the staff 100 times. This is much safer than holding down 'v' yourself since it will stop channeling as soon as any danger pops up on screen.
  Code:
NumpadSub::
Send, 0
Sleep, 100
Send, 100
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}
Sleep, 100
Send, v
Sleep, 100
Send, {Enter}

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 8th November 2018, 11:10

Re: Useful Macros

I don't understand exactly what your channeling macro does, but this post has some rcfile magic that evokes a staff of energy until full MP or until a monster comes into view or you're inside a cloud. I macro'ed it to F1 and it is a blessing. It could use a couple print statements, it also doesn't check for acid walls proximity or whether the cloud you're in is actually harmful, but I'm too lazy to add those.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 8th November 2018, 11:15

Also I play a lot of nagas so I macro'ed 'af' to 'g', because one keypress is less than two for Poison Spit. Also I can use it in other games for the first ability, such as berserk or draw out power, but nagas are my main use case.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 11th November 2018, 01:26

If you press numrow zero on your keyboard, that brings up the 'repeat command' prompt, that'll basically repeat a single command however many times you like. The AHK script just types all that in for you without having to type it in yourself manually. But I'll have to look into that rcfile so I don't have to run an AHK every time I play a channeling spellcaster.
Here are a few more from me:
  • Macro weaponswitch (single apostrophe ' ) to numpad asterisk (*). Goes along the same lines as autoexplore to numpad plus, another often used key for me that's awkwardly placed for either hand
  • Not a macro, but an rcfile thing. Set up warnings to stop autoexplore/bring up a more message when a crucial spell expires. For example, when using Necromutation and/or Darkness. Add this to rcfile:
      Code:
    runrest_stop_message += The darkness around you begins to abate
    force_more_message += The darkness around you begins to abate
    runrest_stop_message += Your transformation is almost over
    force_more_message += Your transformation is almost over

You may want to comment out the transformation one if you play an actual Tm instead of just a lichform caster; it might get annoying

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 11th November 2018, 04:38

My favorite changes are:

numpad + = 0 (autoexplore)
numpad 5 = 5 (rest to full)
numpad . = . (wait one turn, frequently tactically useful)
numpad / = ' (toggle a/b weapons, more easily reached than *)

For spells, I use the z key with my left hand along with a letter which I use for a specific spell, like "r" for regeneration or "t" for tornado. You can set static keys for every single spell in your rc file (if you want to go that far), then you never have to remember what spell you have loaded on what key if you use say 1,2,3,4,5 or function keys. Instead you just memorize what key you always use for each spell. I stick to letters on the left side of the keyboard as much as possible. You can also set permanent letters for various equipment like wands as well, it winds up being nice over time as your memory of the letter assignments improves.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice