math question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 25th October 2018, 07:20

math question

On a character with 63 intelligence and 24 strength wearing cpa with max skills, 2 ranks of wild magic and 1 rank of wizardry, which will reduce spell failure more: +7 int or +10 strength? Both appear to be 1% fail rate but that doesn't tell me much because crawl rounds and doesn't give a decimal.

It looks to me like 10 str is better especially as the character has max spellpower and more strength means more melee damage and in this case +3 EV due to less penalty, but it's hard to say for certain because the formula is complicated as hell.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th October 2018, 07:37

Re: math question

It is not an answer for your question but I think in this case the difference is small enough to make the decision depend on other factors like how often you use melee, which weapon you use and what spells you are going to cast along that 1% failure spell because extra Str can significantly increase damage for great mace (and not so much for quickblade) while extra spell power can make a difference for hexes and conjurations while not so great for Statue Form or Death's Door.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
charlatan

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 25th October 2018, 07:41

VeryAngryFelid wrote:It is not an answer for your question but I think in this case the difference is small enough to make the decision depend on other factors like how often you use melee, which weapon you use and what spells you are going to cast along that 1% failure spell because extra Str can significantly increase damage for great mace (and not so much for quickblade) while extra spell power can make a difference for hexes and conjurations while not so great for Statue Form or Death's Door.

Yeah I think that answers it pretty much. This is a stupid megazigging character so when I say "max skills" I mean literally 27s across the board, and while I don't use much melee sometimes having the extra strength definitely increases javelin/unarmed damage significantly. And this question is kind of pointless now because I realized I could just strip away +int and +wizardry items to get a more accurate read and +10 strength won out at like 9% fail vs 10% fail for +7 int.

Dumb question I guess.

For this message the author charlatan has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th October 2018, 08:33

It's still useful to know that +10 Str can be better than +7 Int for spell failure. Sometimes I think Str is too powerful stat and probably Dex should affect spell failure chance in heavy armour while Str still helps with EV penalty.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th October 2018, 08:43

+10 strength improves spell success more in this case, but by an extremely small margin. If you had said +8 intelligence instead of +7, they would be exactly equal.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
charlatan

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 25th October 2018, 19:32

duvessa wrote:+10 strength improves spell success more in this case, but by an extremely small margin. If you had said +8 intelligence instead of +7, they would be exactly equal.

I can always count on you to know these things

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 26th October 2018, 00:41

You can test things like this with a test character and wizmode.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th October 2018, 01:41

For this case you really need to check the source since wizmode and debug mode don't show you the raw spell failure number, just the %. I admit to using debug mode to get the armour penalties instead of calculating them by hand, though.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice