Meem?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 14th October 2018, 13:55

Meem?

What the heck is this Meem (sequel to Beem) that I keep getting messaged about?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 14th October 2018, 14:15

Re: Meem?

that I keep getting messaged about?

Can you elaborate on who or what is messaging you, and in what context? Is it unsolicited?

Meem is not a "sequel" to beem, it's someone wholly unconnected to the devteam, server ops, or to the beem developer, running the beem code with a rebranding, I guess on at least some servers. This is not the first time I've seen a version of your question so I'd like to better know what it's actually doing. PM me if you'd rather.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 14th October 2018, 15:13

I generally play on berotato. I have gotten this message a number of times over the last few weeks. Next time I pops up, I will copy the info verbatim. Thanks

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 15th October 2018, 01:23

mollymolluskus wrote:What the heck is this Meem (sequel to Beem) that I keep getting messaged about?

It's my fork of Beem. It currently has all the features of Beem plus some joke/meme commands like !doge. If you don't want it to talk to you ever again, just type "!quitmeem" and it'll go away forever.

advil wrote:
that I keep getting messaged about?

Can you elaborate on who or what is messaging you, and in what context? Is it unsolicited?

Meem is not a "sequel" to beem, it's someone wholly unconnected to the devteam, server ops, or to the beem developer, running the beem code with a rebranding, I guess on at least some servers. This is not the first time I've seen a version of your question so I'd like to better know what it's actually doing. PM me if you'd rather.

It joins games and greets people just like Beem does. It's not doing anything that Beem doesn't do.

duvessa wrote:It's a copy of beem made by a guy who was mad about gammafunk banning him from beem.

Inaccurate. I'm not mad about anything. I'm simply bypassing the ban and allowing others to do so as well. It is my contention that infobots should not ban people for petty personal grievances and unfortunately this has been a long-term problem with various infobots (and not just for me), so I am resolving it. Consider it my gift to the community :)

For this message the author MalcolmRose has received thanks: 2
Angani, Totori

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 15th October 2018, 10:06

Ok, so what is Beem?

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 15th October 2018, 11:23

meem: I am meem, an upgrade of beem built by MalcolmRose (check out Malcolm's DCSS vids and other projects at http://youtube.com/malcolmrosegaming). To have me follow you in your games, type !subscribemeem - to make me go away forever, type !quitmeem - For help, type: !meem

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 15th October 2018, 15:19

mollymolluskus wrote:Ok, so what is Beem?

Beem is a bot that can follow your games. If you "subscribe" to it you can enter queries into the chat during your games.

https://github.com/gammafunk/beem/blob/ ... ommands.md

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 15th October 2018, 17:47

hermbot wrote:
mollymolluskus wrote:Ok, so what is Beem?

Beem is a bot that can follow your games. If you "subscribe" to it you can enter queries into the chat during your games.

https://github.com/gammafunk/beem/blob/ ... ommands.md

Right. The main use is to look up monsters, like so:

"%? orc sorcerer"

Or to look up other things like:

"?? vehumet wrath"

It's very handy if you want to find out, say, how much damage that monster's fireball can do or what exactly happens when you abandon a particular god.

I'll be adding a documentation link to the bot soon. Thanks for the reminder!

For this message the author MalcolmRose has received thanks:
mollymolluskus

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2018, 18:00

Mod note: DCA is not the best forum to be arguing over the behavior of server bots, and this thread has already generated a report. If folks have disagreements about what code should be running in IRC or on the servers, those are a better place to have it out.

As a reminder: Advertising on Tavern is generally considered "spam" unless it is very, very Crawl-related.

As OP's question has been answered, I'm locking it. PM me if you're in disagreement.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2018, 19:26

Mod followup note: My last post is out of context because I've moved some posts out of here.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice