Treasure trove Dilemma!

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2018, 14:05

Treasure trove Dilemma!

Hey guys,

how is it going? having a successful run with an OpTm^Chei. I cleared Dungeon down to 12, found book of Transfigurations trough acquirement and hoping to get Statue form online by the end of LAir.

This game has been particularly favorable also because I found an early (D:8) treasure trove, that asks for 14 Heal wounds potions. And guess what, went to the sewers and found roughly 17 potions.
Due to a couple of misplays, I had to use 3 potions already so now I am right at 14 potions and right around Lair : 4.

Now my question for you guys is, should I go for the trove now that I can or should I instead treasure my super useful (in this fase of the game) 14 heal wounds potions?

It's hard for me to choose because on one hand I already have a few of the most important gears for the success of my early/mid game (i.e. statue form, ring of wizardry, ring of evasion, and 14 freaking heal wounds potions), but at the same time I could really use some kickass new ring, maybe a few rings of protection or an amulet of regen or an amulet of shield or reflection. I have not yet IDed any of the crappy jewellery though, so my fear is to burn my amazing stack of potions only to get subpar jewels.

I never opened a treasure trove, is it worth doing it now or wait maybe until having done at least Orc, and see what jewelry gets IDed in the shops?

here is char dump:
https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/groc ... cchini.txt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2018, 14:10

Re: Treasure trove Dilemma!

I would keep the potions. With other characters I would consider the trove when I already had 20+ potions.
As UC Op of Chei you won't benefit much from scrolls of blinking, weapons, body armour and unrandart armour pieces and those are the best things you can get from a trove.
Just ask yourself what items are you hoping to get? Manuals of UC and Fighting/Dodging? Even the former is not that great because your damage is already very high from Statue Form and Chei.
Last edited by VeryAngryFelid on Wednesday, 3rd October 2018, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2018, 14:10

I would also keep the potions. There's no guarantee you'll get anything useful from the Trove.

Btw, use your identify scrolls on your potions and scrolls.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2018, 15:00

I'd also keep the potions, at least until you have an extra 5-6 beyond what they are asking for. Healing potions are very strong rescue option for bad situations. Giving up that many could equate to several lives saved.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice