First Caster advice please

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 2nd October 2018, 22:09

First Caster advice please

I've ascended a couple of easy melee ones. Now trying for a caster. Would welcome any advice!

https://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/c ... spoons.txt

I've splatted a load of these but seem to have some decent kit. Is the +10 intell armour better? Seem to have found some decent spells.

Planning to go D:15 then some early Lair branches plus a bit more of Elf next?

Thanks!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 2nd October 2018, 22:35

Re: First Caster advice please

This is a very strong character in my opinion. You have a lot of tools at your disposal to kill pretty much any threat you might encounter.

Some thoughts. I'm not crazy about the stat bat you have as your main weapon. I think you might want to have the eveningstar ready because that's a solid weapon on it's own. The reason I'm not feeling the sling is that your MR is the weakest part of your character imo, and the -mr on the sling probably isn't worth the rc+++. If you keep it around in case you have a specific need for the resist that's great.

Not sure on the armor. You seem to be casting everything fine and at solid spellpower, so the +10 int doesn't seem necessary and the robe you have on looks great.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2018, 06:20

I'd stop training Spellcasting.
Normally I'd switch to heavier armour: you are Gr with Str 21 and Vehumet but +4 robe with regen, +Int and rF+ is a very good armour.
I'd avoid Elf, you don't need any loot but early trip to Abyss can kill the character.

Edit. Buy the amulet of the Air {Inacc +Fly rElec EV+5 RMsl} (571 gold)!
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
nago

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2018, 14:54

The current setup looks pretty good to me. I do like the +10 int armour, it adds to spellpower in addition to helping you cast, the robes are greatly inferior. You have a fairly good balance of all resists and very nice stats. Some more notes: I'd probably stick with the electric +9 demon whip and maybe swap to the Morningstar with +Str and +Int if you need extra stats to cast a big spell.

I would not use the inaccuracy amulet. You don't need the rElec (or fly long term) because you're a gargoyle, and inaccuracy also effects some of your spells as well as melee. Also, you want deflect missiles eventually. Use regeneration or mana regen instead.
I also would probably swap that ring with MR+, because you can get by with MR+++ well enough. Try to replace it with another artefact ring.. look for stats, AC or evasion instead.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 3rd October 2018, 16:56

After a number of nerve wracking moments I managed to get out with a 3 rune win. Thanks for the comments.

I did go back and buy the amulet although I managed to get deflect missiles learnt and up by the end. The orb guardians were super easy with shatter but the orbs of fire were really tough: one particular one ended up chasing me up the stairs to Z:4 and playing hide and seek whilst I desperately teleported.

Casters are much harder than the go-to MiBe or GrFi!

https://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/c ... 164620.txt

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice