When exactly do your own summons become hostile?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 24th September 2018, 18:27

When exactly do your own summons become hostile?

I've seen instances from Let's Plays, and references in guides, to summons becoming hostile if you damage them (e.g., by attacking them accidentally while confused). However, I'm currently playing a worshipper of Qazlal who occasionally uses summons (i.e., a character who accidentally damages their own summons all the time), and I haven't seen it happen yet.

What exactly causes your summons to turn hostile? Does it vary by the spell? Or by the means of damaging them? Is it random? Is it something from old versions that doesn't happen anymore?

I can't find anything in the wiki or with some cursory web searching, but may have missed it - apologies if this is already explained somewhere!

Barkeep

Post Monday, 24th September 2018, 19:49

Re: When exactly do your own summons become hostile?

I'm pretty sure the rules are not simple, consistent, or explained anywhere.

I don't think there's any case where it's random, though, and IIRC you get a warning before doing most things that may anger your allies.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 24th September 2018, 19:52

Fair enough. Guess it'll be smooth sailing until my Ice Beasts all inexplicably decide to murder me at once in Zot 5!

Barkeep

Post Monday, 24th September 2018, 20:58

If you're in Z:5 and ice beasts are a threat, my hat's off to you :)

Qaz might not anger allies because exuding damaging clouds isn't something you're actively doing, it just happens.

A useful but easily-forgotten thing is that monsters aren't angered by attacks they're immune to, so feel free to cast Bolt of Draining from behind your zombie buddies.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice