Snakepit runed door level 1

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2018, 17:41

Snakepit runed door level 1

Hi all,

I encountered a runed door on level 1 of the snake pits. I can't find any information on what might be behind it, can anyone help me?

I'm playing a level 14 deep elf fire elementalist (if anyone also has advice on wether to open the door) with fireball being my best damage spell.

Cheers,

Tazzak

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2018, 17:59

Re: Snakepit runed door level 1

Risk vs. reward says don't open it, but I always do, maybe afterdoing a few more floors first. If you do, expect it to be a good bit harder than the rest of the floor was, so buff/escape (e.g. read teleport) early, if needed.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2018, 18:14

It's probably a ghost vault, and if so you can safely ignore it.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2018, 20:39

It's something dangerous. The devs are warning you not to open the door. They're warning you so hard that they even put a magical barrier that prevents the door from being opened unintentionally or by a monster. Of course you want to open the door, there might be loot inside! But it's probably not worth it, you will probably die, and even if you don't, you will use more resources than you will get by opening the door.

Magic locked doors, like a lot of things in Crawl such as the Hat of Ponderousness, the Amulet of Harm, etc., are things you should only interact with once you can make an independent calculation whether it's worth it for you to do it or not.

For this message the author mrbobbyg has received thanks: 2
nago, Yermak

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2018, 20:41

Tazzak wrote:Hi all,

I encountered a runed door on level 1 of the snake pits. I can't find any information on what might be behind it, can anyone help me?

I'm playing a level 14 deep elf fire elementalist (if anyone also has advice on wether to open the door) with fireball being my best damage spell.

Cheers,

Tazzak

You can examine the ghost in there to see how well it resists fire. Based on that I would suggest you either kill it or leave it alone. Alternately, if you are studying necromancy at all, dispel undead works wonders on ghosts.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2018, 21:53

If it were ghost vault OP would've probably seen its contents, since they have glass walls.
My best guess would be... It's guitar-shaped vault with the door at the bottom. There are 6 monsters in each of the first two rooms and one monster in the third tiny room. Monsters are usual snake pit spawns, nothing extraordinary. So, go for it!
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 20th September 2018, 14:58

Yermak wrote:If it were ghost vault OP would've probably seen its contents, since they have glass walls.
My best guess would be... It's guitar-shaped vault with the door at the bottom. There are 6 monsters in each of the first two rooms and one monster in the third tiny room. Monsters are usual snake pit spawns, nothing extraordinary. So, go for it!

The door was at the top actually. Anyway I took the stairs to Pit lvl 4, and ended up in the vault chamber. Monsters were awake, I died. Guess Ill never know what was in behind the runed door.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 20th September 2018, 16:16

Tazzak wrote:The door was at the top actually.

The bottom of the guitar! The vault itself can be rotated in any way. If, by chance, your morgue has vaults listed, you can tell us the name of vaults on Snake:1.
Next time just attach a screenshot of your vault, it would've been much easier to answer.
Attachments
Guitar.png
Guitar.png (67.98 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice