Cleared ZOT, and itch for extended

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 17th September 2018, 20:56

Cleared ZOT, and itch for extended

Hi Everyone, first post ever here.

I am an a rogue-like aficionado, Nethack player and over the last year I simply lost my mind over DCSS.
And I am a truly avid reader of this forum, so I want to thank all the senior players that have helped me so much with all the knowledge they share in here.

That said.
I am so happy I finally made it to the orb alive with my favorite char combination OpTm^Chei. Took many (MANY) attempts and a few YASDs to make it here and now I just don't know if I should take the damn orb home and call it a day (great day) or be greedy and go for a few more (or all?) the runes so that I can go on with my life.
I have read extensively about extended but never made it there. I know to watch out for Damnation and torment, but I also know how easy it is to screw up with chei.

here is my dump: https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/groc ... cchini.txt

Thank you in advance for any advice you feel like giving me. :D :D :D

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2018, 00:08

Re: Cleared ZOT, and itch for extended

Is this your first potential win? I say potential because the Orb run can kill you for real.

If it's your first, then bank it! Getting your first win is a pretty big deal. Extended is special; there are a lot of challenges and it's entirely possible you'll splat because you get hit by 3 torments and a LCS.

Also, imo, there are MUCH easier combos to take into extended.

Either way congratulations!

For this message the author mrbobbyg has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, grocchini

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2018, 00:27

Yes,
this, if I can make it safely upstairs, would be my first win. (omg!)

I guess it would be best to bank it and cheer for it.

What should I be on the look out on my escape run? Anything particularly deadly for my char build? I never met these famous Pan lords that are supposed to possibly come after me, are they the worst thing that I could meet on my way up?

Thank you!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2018, 01:41

Yes, Panlords, greater demons (Ice/Brimstone Fiends, Hell Sentinels, Tzitzi...s, etc), and the rare pack of holy beings. Try not to fight, if possible. Teleport early if you see trouble. Use a wand of digging to shorten your paths. Don't forget god abilities. Etc.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2018, 06:49

Pan lords have spells and branded attacks which are not displayed in their description for some reason. Some have a particularly nasty chaos branded melee attack which can irresistibly paralyse you. Glaciate is also nasty in their hands. So try to avoid them if possible.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
nago

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2018, 11:56

If you haven't run it yet, don't forget that this is the last part of the game. Burn everything necessary. Use consumables as soon as you might have a reason. Spam god abilities. Just get out.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2018, 15:42

I like that your first potential win is OpTM of Chei.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2018, 21:14

Okay... uhm...

So I am a bit embarrassed but... I ended up trying to get some more runes... ad now I am in poop.

I know, i know, i know. You had warned me.

I got the abyssal rune and it was piece of cake.
Then I did slime for the first time and it was all pretty easy except for when I met TRJ, but eventually killed her in melee with might+DragonForm. Cleared all the spawned jellies with immolation and it was awesome.

Then I cleared the crypt. It was soooo easy that I told myself I could at least try to take a look at Tomb. First level was a joke.

Then I went to Tomb 2... and that's when shit hit the fan. full screen of mummies. 5 greater mummies and no way to get back up! I didn't realize Tomb had been designed like that.

So... I tried a couple of things, hit step from time once and managed to kill a couple of GMummies, but my HP is pretty bad... Im getting simted and tormented and any step I take is going to be sure death.

here is a screenshot:
Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 5.01.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 5.01.03 PM.png (245.07 KiB) Viewed 5531 times

and here is my char dump: https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/groc ... cchini.txt

what can I do??!?! could I use ambrosia? I have clarity, will it still confuse me?
Should I blink and hit step from time one more time?
use shatter?

Any advice is welcome

Peace!

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2018, 22:25

Ok, nvm. I think I made it to safety. I forgot I had scrolls of tele. Because of ZOT I forgot I could use them to get away from trouble. Found the stair up. Getting away from this foul mummy-stinking place!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2018, 06:21

Glad you got out. Tomb is the hardest place in the game. Definitely go win, but next time you try extended, do Pan & Hells before Tomb.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2018, 19:25

I see you died in Hell. After 2000 games you finally have your chance to win and then you blow it by trying the extended game. I mean, it's just a game, it's no big deal, but I don't get it.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 19th September 2018, 20:24

btonasse wrote:I see you died in Hell. After 2000 games you finally have your chance to win and then you blow it by trying the extended game. I mean, it's just a game, it's no big deal, but I don't get it.

Lol I did that too in a few offline games before my first win ^^ I can totally understand the compulsion to discover the new parts of the game after reading about them so often on the forum :D I don't often get the opportunity to go into extended so I don't mind dying in it, at least I got there.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

For this message the author Fingolfin has received thanks: 2
grocchini, stoneychips

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 20th September 2018, 15:02

Yeah, Hell seemed doable at first (and likely was in the hands of an experienced player), but then I got quickly screwed by being bounced around the map by what I think was a reaper's distortion weapon. Oh well.

Yes I was too curious to discover more about the extended.

But I am not giving up. I will win this game at some point with an Op ;P

Thank you all for the support!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 20th September 2018, 15:27

If you really want to try extended maybe you should try a HoFi or HoGl of Okawaru, transitioning to TSO once you have gotten the 2 lair runes, the silver rune, and the slimy rune. I think it's the easiest personally, but there are other very strong combos as well.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 24th September 2018, 14:35

I don't know that I would ever put abandoning Oka in the "easiest" category. It's no death sentence but if you're new to extended, having some titans airdropped on you in the middle of a fight can spice things up more than you like.

FWIW extended with Chei is certainly possible but you need to think very carefully about what you're doing, there are lots of monsters who are much faster than you and can also do tremendous amounts of damage per AUT. Extended is generally not "hard" because you have a bunch of tools to stay alive, but you can go from full health to dead in a very small number of turns. Chei makes that number even smaller.

Someone like Ru or Kiku or TSO or Zin will make your tour of extended a lot more survivable, and then once you're used to dealing with the monsters there you can come back with the slow god and get all the runes...

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
nago, VeryAngryFelid

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 24th September 2018, 16:21

njvack wrote:I don't know that I would ever put abandoning Oka in the "easiest" category. It's no death sentence but if you're new to extended, having some titans airdropped on you in the middle of a fight can spice things up more than you like.

Very good point. I think it's a decent path because you get the huge benefit of Heroism while you need it and as wrath's go, Oka is pretty survivable, especially if you take the brunt of it in Crypt. But you're 100% right, there's nothing easy about it.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 24th September 2018, 17:09

Yeah Oka's wrath is not too terrible, it's more that it can change the tenor of a battle all of a sudden and you need to be aware of that. But really Hells are already like that, so yeah.

If I had like 3-4k gold on hand I'd actually be more tempted to switch to Zin; then you can donate your gold to get lots of piety very fast (it's not like you're gonna find shops in extended anyhow) and you have Sanctuary if things go pear-shaped with, well, anything.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 6th October 2018, 16:13

Re: Cleared ZOT, and itch for extended --> I DID IT!!

So guys,

I hope you won't mind me bragging just a little bit but... I finally kicked this game ass a bit and won a 15 rune OpTm^Chei ! MAn that feels good! :D :D :D :D

After opening this thread on my first practically won character, OpTm^Chei, I foolishly didn't follow the advice of many in this forum and I tried go for extended and almost died in Tomb, only to get splatted in the vestibule of Hell. I was VERY disappointed.

I tried following the advice I received and tried a few HOFi^Oka, as well as the classic GrEE^Veh, having extended as a goal. I feel like their early game is so easy I get easily distracted, and by the time I get to my first lair branch, when things start to get a little riskier, I make an overconfident mistake and die.

Then I couldn't resist, I tried again my fav combo and after just 2-3 semi-successful tries I got it. I think that it's because Op^chei are so squishy in the mid section of the game (lair-orcs) that I play them so much more carefully than the others. It was awesome. Once Statue form was online (got lucky with acquirement), by the end of lair, I literally destroyed everything on my path all the way to Zot. Didn't get scared once. Moreover, I found this awesome hat that gave me Resist Mutation, which is almost non-existent in version 0.22

I can't figure how I died in the vestibule of hell in my previous game. Hell was SO easy. statue form + high level regen kept me always in perfect health.
Pandemonium was also super easy, with the exception of Lom Lobon, who tornadoed me and kept blinking away from my death-bringing tentacles. By that time though I had controlled blink so I just blinked myself next to him with might online and crushed him in 2 tabs.

Finally I got scared in Tomb again. Mostly because I was curious to use Necromutation and thought that I would have just been immune to everything. Big mistake. I lacked AC, and got quickly smithed. I tried to run to the nearest stairs but got down to 4 HP (!!!!), with monsters all around me and still in lichform. Fortunately Chei's step from time can still work as an Oh-shit!-button and gained me the time to revert to normal form and use B Revivification. I learned that on a slow, almost armorless melee character Necromutation is just horrible. My feeling is that it isn't that good in general. Maybe just for spell hunger management in ziggurat on a non chei character?

Once I got my last 15th rune I even dared to do a few zig floors. But in all honesty I quickly got a hunch that without powerful AOE spells it wasn't going to happen. I understood that notwithstanding how overpowered I was, I still need a LOT of experience as a player to tackle the type of challenge that it is a ziggurat.

I really could not have beared to splat my Cheipode without ever getting my first win.

soooo here is the dump

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/groc ... 151736.txt

Next attempt will be with a blaster caster of ash. I think. Oh, and no more Chei for a while. He is awesome but being able to have running as an option would be nice also.

Infestation, although not so game changing, was my favorite spell to use. Just so creepy and cool.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 6th October 2018, 21:14

Congrats!

I don't think anything in Tomb hits especially hard with AC-checking attacks. Necromutation has a small AC bonus, so you should have had like 22 AC, which seems ok. I bet you got hit with Dispel Undead from Ushabis and/or smiting from the top two mummies.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice