Help me pick a weapon!

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 13th September 2018, 19:50

Help me pick a weapon!

Character Dump:
https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/ff7hero/ff7hero.txt

Sorry for being brief, but this post has already been deleted by forum gremlins twice. My Vine Stalker has trained UC fairly exclusively (it's currently at 10.6), but I just found +10 Falchion of Draining with Str +3. I also have Daggers of Venom and Speed. Should I transition to Long or Short Blades, or stick with UC?

I'm also curious about what how UC affects my Auxiliary Bite attack. Auxiliary attacks are something I've never fully understood, and I feel like they keep changing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th September 2018, 21:01

Re: Help me pick a weapon!

ff7hero wrote:Character Dump:
https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/ff7hero/ff7hero.txt

Sorry for being brief, but this post has already been deleted by forum gremlins twice. My Vine Stalker has trained UC fairly exclusively (it's currently at 10.6), but I just found +10 Falchion of Draining with Str +3. I also have Daggers of Venom and Speed. Should I transition to Long or Short Blades, or stick with UC?

I'm also curious about what how UC affects my Auxiliary Bite attack. Auxiliary attacks are something I've never fully understood, and I feel like they keep changing.

Stick with UC.

Ditch the other weapons (the daggers, particularly venom, would've been a good earlier choice, if you were doing frequent stabbing of things, the daggers (particularly speed) would be a good for that, but you aren't)

UC doesn't do anything for your bite attack.

You will get an increase to your bite base damage at certain levels, and you will bite with increased *frequency* as you raise your strength+dex total.

UC also increases the frequency of your offhand punch (which isn't an amazing attack, but it's better than no attack)

Use a shield (it's worth the XP with unarmed and bite attacks) Offhand punch is ok, but the defense from a shield is better. Note I said *shield* not *large shield* or *buckler*. The defense from a *buckler* is barely noticable (and not worth the offense tradeoff for this sort of character), and the 25 skill to get rid of the penalties for a large shield are not worth it until you've literally trained all the other useful things you could ever want, and you should have probably already won the game by that point, so don't bother with a large shield)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 13th September 2018, 21:16

Thank you! Should I wear a shield as soon as I find one, or wait until I've put some XP into shields?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th September 2018, 22:26

It's fine to wear shields (even large shields) with 0 skill for a while. Just don't expect to cast spells that way.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 13th September 2018, 22:38

Thank you for the advice. I assume the same is true for armor. Also check out my D:2, it's a good thing I don't mind skipping a level and coming back later. Might head back up there now, can I handle Siegfried and Jessica safely now?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 13th September 2018, 22:41

ff7hero wrote:[...] can I handle Siegfried [...] safely now?

Sure, just watch out for the Nibelungs !
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

For this message the author Fingolfin has received thanks:
nago

Barkeep

Post Friday, 14th September 2018, 14:55

I mean, you could (and did) but... remember that your piety decays as you wander around the dungeon so wandering back up a few levels to pick off uniques that don't have anything you need. Sigmund gives as much XP as two ogres and you're going to kill a ton of ogres by midgame.

By all means, wander up and trash uniques when you're buff! But! Remember that you're doing it because coming back to stomp uniques is fun, not because it will help you win.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 15th September 2018, 00:02

Trog loves it when I kill Spellcasters, though. (point taken,him just being cheeky).
Does Crazy Yiuf still have a chance for magic Cloaks. So far, since I've returned to Crawling, I've only seen him with nonmagical ones.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 15th September 2018, 18:38

ff7hero wrote:Trog loves it when I kill Spellcasters, though. (point taken,him just being cheeky).
Does Crazy Yiuf still have a chance for magic Cloaks. So far, since I've returned to Crawling, I've only seen him with nonmagical ones.

Yes. I don't know what the odds are... But an early plain cloak is good.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 16th September 2018, 01:20

I already had a plain cloak. I was mostly seeing if they had any gear worth taking. They kinda did. Sigmund and Jessica each had a Potion of Heal Wounds...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 16th September 2018, 04:58

ff7hero wrote:I already had a plain cloak. I was mostly seeing if they had any gear worth taking. They kinda did. Sigmund and Jessica each had a Potion of Heal Wounds...

Yes, I got that. My point was that it's an interesting choice when you first see Crazy Yuif's vault on D:3 or whatever because you almost certainly don't have a cloak yet.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 16th September 2018, 06:16

Oh, that makes sense. I probably would have taken on Crazy Yiuf on my first pass through D2, but the Sigmund/Jessica power pair made me move on.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice