Help in a tough situation in Tomb 3 (First Extended Game)

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 18:57

Help in a tough situation in Tomb 3 (First Extended Game)

So, I think I'm done, but I would realy like some help to be sure if there's a way out of this situation. I'm relatively new to the game and that's my first atempt at a 15 rune game. It would be awesome to be able to do it in the tournament.
Rather than explain my misery, I'll post the image. I think it speaks by itself.

When I realised the situation I froze. I really want some oppinions before trying anything.
For anyone interested, here's my character dump:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Feagond/Feagond.txt

Any help would be great, thanks.

POST GAME UPDATE: So, for anyone who stumbled across this post and is curious, I managed to win the game with the 15 runes. Morgue file:
  Code:
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Feagond/morgue-Feagond-20180825-123637.txt
Last edited by Feagond on Saturday, 25th August 2018, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 19:26

Re: Help in a tough situation in Tomb 3 (First Extended Game

Hey! It's a "Oh crap, I might be in trouble" post that's salvageable! Good on you for realizing you're in trouble, and stopping to assess. This should be doable (though, whether I have the answer is questionable - I'm hardly an expert on extended.)

You have 4 major issues. First, you're in tomb before getting 14 runes. Pan is much easier than Tombs (and easier than Hell, too!), so your first goal should be "Get out of here," go do Pan instead. Your second issue is that you're overwhelmed without an easy escape. You need to get out of danger, preferably to the stairs. Luckily, the silence will dwindle to nothing and you can blink to the stairs away from Mennas, which will let you fight on the stairs and hopefully kill some stuff so it won't be so bad next time you're here. Your third issue is that Mennas won't stop being a real pain in the neck until he's dead. If you find you can fight on the stairs reasonably until he gets to you, pull him up and fight him. However, I suspect that won't be easily doable. If you get out without eliminating him, go find the best weapon out there that will hurt him (great mace of flaming or freezing, probably,) and use that when you finally wind up fighting him (and anything else that doesn't take extra damage from holy.) The final issue is that you've only got 2 blinking scrolls (once you probably use one to escape this,) and no reliable magic. Ideally, you would have trained translocations before getting to this point, and would be able to cast controlled blink. I'd recommend trying to put all your XP into spellcasting and translocations when you do wind up going to Pan, since you don't really need anything else now that you're cleared to Tomb:3.

So yeah, my TL:DR is to concentrate on staying alive until Mennas's silence wears down. Eliminate the mummy priest first if it steps next to you, otherwise try to clear a path to those stairs on the off chance you get a turn of breathing room. Blink to the stairs as soon as possible, and fight on the stairs until you get into a situation where you're worried about dying.

For this message the author Stonar has received thanks:
Feagond

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 19:27

Well, you need to kill the scarabs to your left and then make your way left and down towards the stairs. From there you will be safe. Ideally, you want to bring Mennas up the stairs with you and kill him on tomb:2.

Mennas silence will wear off. If it does while you're still on Tomb:3, you can use Cleansing Flame to clear out some of the scarabs. Or, if your HP is way too low by that point, you can instead use a scroll of blinking to get to the stairs. Do not wait or he will cast silence again.

The biggest threats right now are the mummy priest and flayed ghost, which will take a large fraction of your HP. You may be able to get some HP back by killing the scarabs.

Another possibility, if your situation becomes truly desperate and you're still silenced, is to evoke blink (the ability, not the scroll). This has a chance to take you left to the stairs, a small chance to take you right to the other stairs, but also has a chance to take you south into the worst possible situation, or north. If you blink into a bad spot, you can evoke blink again until you aren't silenced, and then read tele or a scroll of blinking.

It is possible your character is not prepared for Tomb. If it turns out not to be feasible to bring Mennas upstairs with you and kill him there, then I would leave tomb, do other parts of extended, and come back when you have a lot of scrolls of blinking so you can ninja the rune. Learning Controlled Blink is also a possibility (you would need to train translocations 100% as you do the rest of extended, then wear lighter armor in Tomb to cast it).
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
Feagond

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 20:14

Like Stonar said, it's very impressive that your instincts were to stop and ask for advice.

Tomb:3 is maybe the hardest level in the game, especially without a big stack of scrolls of blinking. That said, you got the door open and worship TSO, which makes the situation not doomed.

Mennas definitely complicates things: his silence shuts down many of your options but also monster casting. However, he will work his way into melee with you, so the silence will end up more around you and they will likely be monsters casting outside of the silence. (I'm not sure if the flayed ghost's Flay spell is shut down by silence or not. Its pretty nasty. Demon spells defined still work under silence, if anything summons demons...). Mennas is also very tough to kill.

Be very careful & methodical. Quaff haste. Move towards the stairs, fighting only things in your way. As soon as you're out of silence, read a scroll of blinking onto the stairs (or as close as possible, if there's a monster on it). From the stairs, you can go up immediately or fight until low HP, and then go up.

If you do stay to fight, definitely haste and maybe might for Mennas, fog (if not silenced!) is great, Cleansing Flame (if not silenced!) is great and may get you a bunch of HP for kills, Summon Holy Warrior or whatever it's called (if not silenced!) is great, etc.

Scarbs and mummy death curses can cause slow, death curses can tornent, etc, so go upstairs before your situation is too dire and be aware of what will come up with you.

Let us know how it goes. Feel free to ask for advice again after a few moves, if needed.

EDIT: Potions of lignification are an interesting option if things go very badly. They make you immune to torment (I'm not sure about Flay), but completely immobile. You can still fight etc though. You can wait for the transformation to end or quaff a potion of cancellation. Make sure you understand what you're getting into if you decide to try this.

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks:
Feagond

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 21:17

Thanks a lot everybody, I did it. I wouldn't say I overreacted, but the situation sure looked way worse before I came asking for help.

So, since I was already hasted and buffed, I started attacking the scarab to my left, I had to kill 2 or 3 before they left me with an open space to walk towards the stairs. Once I passed through the door I saw a Zot trap very close to the stairs and I decided to fight a little near the door to avoid the enemies activating it (I know, I got a bit cocky, but I was still full health or close to it and was in the edge of Mennas's silence since he wasn't aproaching me). Anyway, I cleared some scarabs, started using Clensing Flame as soon as I could and retreated to the stairs when Mennas decided to aproach, I summoned some angels and used a scroll of summoning and managed to kill him without bringing he up. After that I stayied a bit, fought some Greater Mummies that entered the room and left when I got overwhealmed by to many of them. Overall I think it was a great outcome, thanks to your help of course.

Now, talking about the future. I know I'm not in a great spot consumable wise. And I know at this point I should already have some translocation powers, but with my luck I still haven't found Blink, Controled Blink, Passage of Golubria and not even god damn Apportation.

So, my questions for the future are:
1) Should I still focus on learning spells? And if yes, what spells are usefull for me?
2) Is there anything I could do about my lack of good consumables (mainly Scrolls of Blink and Teleportation)? I know I could "farm" the Abyss, is it worth it?
3) The reason I decided to do Tomb before Pan was because I was afraid of getting badly mutated. Should I not worry about it and do Pan anyway?

If you guys have any other suggestion I would gladly take it. Thanks a lot again. I love this community.

Obs.: About the lack of translocation and Scrolls of Blink I could focus Evocations for my random blink, but I dont think it would be that good of an idea.

EDIT: Update. I brute forced the rest of Temple 3 as Berder suggested, but the loot was underwhelming, no Scroll of Teleport or Blink. But I got the Blink and Passage of Golubria spells.
Last edited by Feagond on Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 22:25, edited 3 times in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 21:40

It is possible you could clear Tomb by brute force now that Mennas is gone. You can try going down again and see how it feels, leaning heavily on Cleansing Flame to kill the weaker monsters and clear a path for you. You want to make it a priority to get into a side chamber with the stairs before fighting, so that you can easily escape if it goes south. If you can kill a Greater Mummy each time you go down, without needing to burn scrolls of blinking, then you can clear it. Don't forget your 4 scrolls of silence, which can help kill Greater Mummies (and can be canceled with Potions of Cancellation).
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
Feagond

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 24th August 2018, 05:02

Good work!

In general, do not worry about mutations, but especially since you have 5 potions of mutation. Most malmutations are just annoying. When you get a bad one or too many annoying ones, quaff a potion of mutation.

If you're worried about it, you can put an angel/daeva between you and the malmutator. If you're *really* worried about it, you can switch gods to Zin.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice