Turning off auto-bottle

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 12th August 2018, 01:32

Turning off auto-bottle

I'm playing a Vampire who just got access to Animate Dead. Naturally I want to stop automatically bottling blood from corpses upon auto-explore while Bloodless. How do I do that?

I have "auto_butcher = false" in the rc and I thought that would do it, but it did not.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 25th August 2018, 02:46

Re: Turning off auto-bottle

Any help?
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th August 2018, 03:23

I don't see any option in https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/mas ... _guide.txt other than auto_butcher = false that might do this, and I can confirm that it does not do it. I suppose that's a bug, you could report it on mantis.

But why do you want to do this? If I'm autoexploring, then that means I'm not interested in animating any corpses. Autoexplore could send me far across the map from any corpses, making it impossible to animate them anyway.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
mattlistener

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 27th August 2018, 02:21

Well, this may hinge on my understanding of corpse and zombie duration. If I have zero need for more bottled blood right now and currently have sufficient zombies to explore safely, isn't it reasonable to leave some corpses where they lay rather than starting their zombie-lifetime right now, with no present danger? That would leave resources in my wake to bat back to, rather than greedily insta-zombifying every dead thing and sometimes seeing them all turn to dust before I'm done with the floor.

When you do an Animate Dead on an almost-gone corpse, doesn't it get the same zombie-lifetime as one made from a fresh corpse?
In Progress:

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th August 2018, 16:29

Usually the corpses rot fast enough that it's not an issue. Rest after a fight from low health -> all corpses rotted. If you go exploring and come back, you'll probably just find one or two skeletons instead of the corpses. Even if they are still corpses, the advantage in zombie duration is marginal, since they'll still have to walk out to where the enemies are. Unless you have lured an enemy back into the group of corpses... but I think usually it's better to have the zombies with you as you travel so that if a centaur or something finds you, you can retreat behind them.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice