How do shields work

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 11:05

How do shields work

Specifically when is extra penalty for blocked attack removed? Is it done when player takes their turn or is it removed when time passes (10 auts, 20 auts etc.)?
For the former I mean if I am fighting a single monster while using an executioner axe with 0 Axes and I block first monster attack, then next attack has a penalty for my SH while the penalty would not apply if I used a quickblade at min delay because I acted again before second attack of the monster.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 13:14

Re: How do shields work

Fsim thinks that an unseen horror has the same accuracy against you whether you are wielding the Dark Maul or a quickblade. https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/68e ... iz-fsim.cc apparently this is because it resets you.shield_blocks = 0 before every attack. I believe this means fsim is wrong. When fighting normally, shield_blocks gets reset to 0 in https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/c0c ... ce/main.cc during _prep_input which is called for each player keyboard input. So, actually, performing a fast action means the multiple attack penalty will get reset to 0 sooner.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks: 2
pedritolo, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 13:23

Interesting. So it means if I am blocked by unseen horror and am waiting for teleport, I should wield/unwield weapon to maximize my chances to block its attack.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 13:50

Yeah, if you can't walk away, and have no better action. Shield isn't very useful against an unseen horror though because invisibility reduces block chance.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 13:55

Yes, sometimes I overestimate my ability to kill the monster and use a wand of digging to create a dead end corridor and then realize I have to teleport.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice