Advice for Amulets

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 18th June 2018, 04:03

Advice for Amulets

So I'm a lvl 16 Gargoyle who has cleared D15 L6 O2. I'm planning on trying to get my first rune, but I need to decide between an amulet of +4 reflection and MP regeneration. Does anyone have any advice.

I'm not aware of how to post my character sheet into this post, so the short is that I'm a mixed melee and magical fighter with an emphasis on flails. I have 4.1 shield skill and 5 SH. I have 32 magic power.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 18th June 2018, 04:20

Re: Advice for Amulets

Neither are very good, to be honest. I would prefer faith, regeneration, rage or guardian spirit.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 18th June 2018, 04:35

I'm actually wearing guardian spirit, but I don't know if its good because it dips into my mana pool

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th June 2018, 06:05

Faith, guardian spirit, and rage are just better than any of the other amulets by a huge margin. They are pretty much guaranteed to be better than gourmand/inaccuracy/regeneration/harm/reflection/MPregen on any character, aside from the super obvious exceptions (faith on demigods, spirit on vine stalkers, rage on characters that already have Trog). Your character is a gargoyle, which is not a vine stalker, so wearing Spirit is a lot better than wearing reflection or MPregen.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, nago

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 18th June 2018, 09:26

endersaim wrote:I'm not aware of how to post my character sheet into this post

Type '#' in-game. A summary of play will be dumped to a file. Copy-paste the contents of the file here, using "code" tags.

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 2
Bleyddyn, mollymolluskus

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 22nd June 2018, 18:37

Use the reflection until you find regeneration, particularly if you use a shield already. If you're casting a lot, and particularly if you dabble in necromancy at all (vamp draining) or hexes (confuse) then mana regen becomes a bit better. The next best to consider is acrobat, and it can be the best in certain situations (ie: using sticky flame, poison, etc.)

Guardian spirit is ok, but not so great if you're casting or using mana with invocations, unreliable mana flow when you rely on it for burst damage/escape options is bad. Rage is dangerous because you can pass out and get killed, it also requires more invested in evocations, and it can actually be detrimental to your tactics unless you're primarily melee based. I wouldn't worry about the rest.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 23rd June 2018, 12:50

duvessa wrote:Faith, guardian spirit, and rage are just better than any of the other amulets by a huge margin.

That's similar to hellmonks advice in the learnDB:

hellmonk wrote:quick amulet guide: faith is really good, gourm is useless, [guardian spirit] is really good, inacc is worse than no amulet, rage is really good, regen is ok, harm is bad, reflection is good, mpregen is borderline useless

However, in my opinion the value of rage decreases during the game. Probably the best amulet you can hope for in early dungeon - but risky in the extended. Being paralyzed somewhere in pan is not what you would like to have.

(That's similar to the evaluation of Trog who is the best starting god for most chars. But for extended many players switch to another god, usually TSO or Makhleb.)

svendre wrote:Guardian spirit is ok, but not so great if you're casting or using mana with invocations, unreliable mana flow when you rely on it for burst damage/escape options is bad.

That's my opinion as well. Guardian spirit is said to be good but I don't like it for most of my chars.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 1st July 2018, 21:51

endersaim wrote:So I'm a lvl 16 Gargoyle who has cleared D15 L6 O2. I'm planning on trying to get my first rune, but I need to decide between an amulet of +4 reflection and MP regeneration. Does anyone have any advice.
I'm not aware of how to post my character sheet into this post, so the short is that I'm a mixed melee and magical fighter with an emphasis on flails. I have 4.1 shield skill and 5 SH. I have 32 magic power.

Reflection makes all your SH reflective, a purely offensive benefit. (The amulet also provides 4 SH, of course, a defensive benefit). Hence, the value of it varies with the amount of SH you have. You don't say if you have 5 SH with (1 SH mutation?) or without (buckler?) the amulet, but either way you don't have a lot.

I would prefer guardian spirit to either.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd July 2018, 21:15

If you do have a lot of SH, though, reflection is very nice in Snake, Shoals, Vaults, Elf and Depths. Not worth the slot in Slime or Zot.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice