Tomb 3 - kill hole

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2018, 18:10

Tomb 3 - kill hole

Int 31 (brill.), fast, invis.
MIght get ugly if LRD won't work :)
Attachments
tomb1.jpg
tomb1.jpg (111.75 KiB) Viewed 5796 times

For this message the author Nebukadnezar has received thanks: 5
Airwolf, hannobal, nago, Tumalu, VeryAngryFelid

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2018, 23:01

Re: Tomb 3 - kill hole

Interesting, but how do you LRD the second hole without killing yourself from the shrapnel? Up to 3d45 is a lot of damage, even with triple AC factored.

Well, actually, I guess in this setup you'd on average you'd take maybe 15~20 damage, which isn't that bad. But you could potentially hit yourself for closer to 100.

...unless I'm severely overestimating your spellpower. With a low spellpower character the selfdamage really wouldn't be much, outside of really awful rolls. As long as you've got 50 power you have a fixed chance to break the wall. Not very hard with brilliance and a character in Tomb. Huh. This is pretty good.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2018, 00:22

They could just break walls one square away from themselves...
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2018, 01:43

You can't do that for the second square, tho'. And that's the most important one, since it takes everything else out of LoS. But yeah, unless your actual focus was earth magic, I guess killing yourself with the spell isn't a big concern.

Potentially taking 20 attempts for both 10% chances on a loud spell to trigger, on the other hand, might be. :V (And if you have to hit yourself 10 times with the second, even ~10 damage will really add up...)

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2018, 04:49

i also had an interesting run in tomb:3 earlier. Wu jian ultimate skill whatever its called with a super high powered silence(Aug + enhancer mut). The clouds block LOS and when they can see u they are silenced!

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2018, 06:39

Tumalu wrote:Interesting, but how do you LRD the second hole without killing yourself from the shrapnel? Up to 3d45 is a lot of damage, even with triple AC factored.

With brill. I have but the last two pips for LRD.
I tried it again in another game and didn't make a dent so I cannot rely on getting a kill hole and need a plan B.

I use LRD in Tomb very often (in tomb 1 + tomb 2)

game:
https://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/N ... 213637.txt
Earth at 19 or 20 (made comments in-game), spc at 15 in tomb 3

damage: you can see the damage I've taken on screen

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2018, 08:38

some more screens of this

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2018, 10:41

Based on the screens it looks like everyone goes for Statue Form these days (unless TSO/Kiku I guess).
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2018, 11:08

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Based on the screens it looks like everyone goes for Statue Form these days (unless TSO/Kiku I guess).

It is 2*Nebu and 3*Powermode.

LRD+SF have excellent synergy.
If you can cast SF (Lvl 6 and earth>tansmut) you can also cast LRD (lvl 5) with at least some % of success.

I prefer not to be in SF when I dig a kill hole but once I have it I'll switch to it.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2018, 22:50

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Based on the screens it looks like everyone goes for Statue Form these days (unless TSO/Kiku I guess).

Or Xom:
http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/git/sti ... 190027.txt

But yeah, Statue Form is good in Tomb, as it gives you immunity to miasma and flay, along with significant torment resistance.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st May 2018, 22:34

I'll have to give it a shot, but is it really just a 10% chance to break? Even with a couple of turns as a head start, there's still a decent chance you're going to be facing a lot of mummies before both are broken...

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2018, 08:13

tasonir wrote:I'll have to give it a shot, but is it really just a 10% chance to break? Even with a couple of turns as a head start, there's still a decent chance you're going to be facing a lot of mummies before both are broken...

In my 1st image you can see that I 'opened' a door (before something opened the other one) so I had escaping by Cblink as an option.
I use Lee's a lot (Pan+Hell+Zot 5, too) and there is a big variety in whether you can do it or not.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 4th May 2018, 09:30

up !!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 6th May 2018, 00:42

if you do extended tomb will be so unpleasant that there's no reason not to, or it will be a huge resource sink. also enough sub-20k 15 runers may have eventually made people realize that statue form and AC is good. Imagine what kind of turn counts we could have seen in like, 0.17-a before the various nerfs to chei statue but a more developed strategy. Reminder that chei statue builds have had:

- Statue form NERFED
- Stoneskin + statue combo REMOVED
- Phase shift REMOVED
- Teleport spamming in extended REMOVED
- otoh you can passage spam instead, I'm not sure if that's a positive or negative for turn count...

and probably a few other things I forgot at the moment, and people are still getting sub-20k 15 rune wins. Now imagine this with 40/40 AC/EV in Vaults.
remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2018, 17:39

While you're not wrong tabstorm, statue form also used to have -10EV which was removed, so that was a pretty big buff. Overall I'd say statue form stayed about the same; it's charms (and phase shift) that's been ripped out :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2018, 20:35

tasonir wrote:While you're not wrong tabstorm, statue form also used to have -10EV which was removed, so that was a pretty big buff. Overall I'd say statue form stayed about the same; it's charms (and phase shift) that's been ripped out :)

Well, *chei* statue form was also nerfed in that base unarmed damage is no longer strength reliant. For a normal character the form-based base damage change is probably about neutral or a slight buff, but for a chei character, it's a definite nerf (Although not a super large one).
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th May 2018, 20:50

Agreed. And making statue form's AC be spell power rather than skill level dependent also ended up taking a few points of ac off (but not much). It'd be interesting to track all the changes to it over the years; I feel like i know most of them, but I doubt I could really make a definitive, comprehensive list without trying to research it for hours (unlikely).

Transmutations are the spells that usually attempt to do the most; completely change your character, etc. So they tend to get tweaked a lot as the game evolves. Fireball is pretty straightforward and has a lot less reasons to change.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 10th May 2018, 00:54

True, but EV hardly does anything past 20-25 anyway, one will hardly notice the difference unless they're using extremely light armor.
remove food

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice